Not long ago, two old farmers - a brother and sister - moved out of their family farmhouse: the last two surviving members of the Welch family had stayed at home as long as they could. They were each nearly a century old when they died a few miles down the road, beneath the flourescent light buzzing over a nursing home deathbed. But before they left this life, they bequeathed their farmhouse, and all of the surrounding land, to a conservation group: the old siblings did not want their legacy to fall into enemy hands.Adjacent to the Welch's homestead, just east of the old rooming house, stood a clutch of barns. Inside one barn could be found the initials, carved into pine or painted in stove black, of every farmhand that passed through the farm dating back to 1865. It was clear that not a few workers took jobs at the farm several years in a row; others would be off to fight in some great war, never to return. There were chains and old scythes hanging in rusted silence; there were old tins on the wall; a set of old oars stood in a corner, crossed. It was a hall for the silent past, but a past that was not so silent if one but listened.
After the old couple died, I would walk the forsaken farm, taking pictures here and there. The photo above was taken along the northern wall of the old house, just off the ell. I could not help but take the photograph -- with the old lamp and bulb, the paper-wasps' nest tucked beneath the shade, the flecked paint, a lonely window and the ghostly imprint of old shutters -- all calling me to remember. But what seems silent is not at all; and what seems old is still rather new: the tap of hands on a window flung open, the smell of fresh paint on a horsehair brush, the piquant air of harvest. I hear children nearby, the shouts of farmhands heading to town with a wagon-load of milk; or the muted thud of boots beneath a dim lamp during heavy snows.
The conservation group which inherited the land, in response to fears and anxieties and sundry other modern maladies, decided that the best thing for the preservation of the old regime was for the new to vanguish the past. So the fire department was called. The volunteer fire corps practiced in the light of burning barns. They rescued smoke and soot. They aimed their hoses only after all memories had disappeared in the heat of a spark fanned bright by legal arson. Later, a bulldozer would level the old farmhouse. Soil was pushed here and there beneath the row of singed catalpa trees; a little monument was erected to remind stray visitors of the monuments that were burned and buried.
Occasionally I return to the old Welch farm. Nothing much remains, of course, but a few flecks of paint, a shard of glass, an ember pressed into soot. And the wasps nearby.
Peace.
Bill Gnade 2006/Contratimes - All Rights Reserved.
6 comments:
Thanks Bill. Thanks.
I liked this....A LOT
If only that barn could speak to us for a few minutes......what it could have told us.
A touching post--I am reminded of the wonderful and terribly harsh truth, expressed metaphorically as the circle of life.
Ultimately, our lives and works will pass away. Only that which bears eternal ramifications will remain. I love Psalm 90. Moses laments the transitory nature of life, then finds peace asking God to establish the work of our hands. I pray for that often.
Thanks for the inspiration.
Great photo. The angle makes it positively eerie.
Bill:
Not sure if you got my last comment...I got an error message.
One word came to mind when I read this excellent post:
Unfortunate.
You know, I built our house in 2001, and no one else has ever lived in this house. I can't help but think about the memories we make every day as a family....
Check out my blog for one of those memories. I have a picture of the three girls standing at the front door...it tells a pretty cool story.
Later,
Bill
I have such a fondness for relics like that barn, and this post frustrates me so much! An unsalvageable structure in a crowded or unsafe area may need to go, but this grates on me in ways I don't understand and can't describe. You inspired me to finally write again at my site, about beautiful interactions like I imagine the farmstead could have been.
Yet, I try to remember that it's just "stuff" — the memory can live on in your account of it, and I hope the practice helped each firefighter to better serve the living.
Post a Comment