I added my own thoughts on the problem of evil as classically defined, arguing that the problem ignores the obvious assumption in our definition of God, that God is omniscient. As an omniscient Being, God might know that the only way to eradicate evil and suffering from the cosmos is exactly the way we see events unfolding in our lives: omniscience IS at work in every tragedy and in every joy. In other words, God IS doing something, the very thing an all-wise God can only do; and it looks like Life. And it might very well be the case that God was not silent at all during the Holocaust. His voice may indeed have been quite strong. In fact, I have even heard it suggested that had Hitler not been distracted by the Jews in Germany, Poland, France; had Hitler instead ignored them and turned the German machinery of death, destruction and warfare on his enemies, he would have won World War II and far more than 6,000,000 Jews would have been killed. The suggestion posits a heroic idea, that the Jews were something of a glorious sacrifice that saved us all from Nazi tyranny: the Jews were freedom fighters even in their alleged weakness. It was the Jews who destroyed Hitler. Churchill and Roosevelt had nothing to do with it.
This is not an attempt on my part to palliate the evils of the Holocaust, nor am I trying to cheer up the surviving victims of Germany's death camps. I am making a point that God may have indeed been very much at work in profoundly effective and yet strange ways, which is what one would expect of an omniscient God. Omniscience, in fact, may behave in utterly bizarre and contradictory ways; and it may act in obscurity.
A couple of years ago, I had a bit of a spat with a local shop owner about suffering, God, justice. He followed me out to the sidewalk and, in the heat of debate said, "I've done more for the suffering of starving Africans than God ever has." I must say that I understand the sentiment behind this conceit, but I do not understand the conceit. God appears not to be doing anything most of the time; He does not seem to even care. But one of the real problems associated with evil is not that God doesn't care, it's that there is sweepingly broad empirical evidence that most humans don't care either.
About 15 years ago I received a phone call from an old friend grieving about the sad death of a young mother we both knew. My friend was angry at God, for God had let not only Penny (the dead woman) down, He let lots of others down, too. My friend wondered how God could choose not to heed the prayers of Penny and her son, or the prayers of countless people surrounding that tragedy. Even Penny believed that she would be healed! How could God not honor that? How could He be content with yet another motherless child?
After awhile I shared with my friend something that hit my conscience hard. I said that in all of the time that Penny was living, all 26 years of her life, not once had anyone called me to proclaim how glad they were that Penny existed. No one called to praise Penny's smile, her laughter, her sweet goodness. No one called me to praise God for His wonderful creation which was Penny in all her simple glory. No one called to complain that there was not MORE of Penny everywhere; and no one ever said that God was too kind to us all to have created such a wonderful woman in the first place. And yet, in spite of all this silence, people were now mad that God had taken Penny away. Before, there was no gladness around Penny, but after her death there was nothing but madness. No one praised God yesterday, and yet now people were poised to curse Him today.
My friend agreed, and I believe we were both changed during that phone call.
***
I am reminded of something G. K. Chesterton once said. He imagined a rather randy man complaining to God about women and matrimony. "Explain to me God why I can't be with all women?" the man might have asked. To which God replied, "If it comes to that, explain to me why you can be with even one woman?" Chesterton went further, suggesting that Adam and Eve, given the entire cosmos and yet prevented from having just one thing -- an apple -- might have asked God something similar: "Explain to us why we can keep everything we have if we don't have just one thing? Explain why we can't have the apple, too?" God's reply? "Well, if it comes to that, explain the apple."I am reminded of all this because we often expect an explanation for something taken from us without ever asking ourselves how we were given the thing to begin with. A man may be mad at God when his son is killed in a car wreck; but was he ever grateful to God that he even had a son who would, eventually, die?
What has come to surprise me about many reactions to death and suffering is that people respond with such surprise. When a child dies of a brain tumor or a woman is raped and murdered, one would think that such a thing had never before happened, judging by many survivors' reactions, particularly their reactions toward God. God is to blame, it seems, even though few people take the responsibility for suffering themselves. Like the shopkeeper who thinks he does more to alleviate sorrow than even God, many forget that they are perhaps the reason there is suffering at all. For surely each of us who has had a child knew about rape, murder, disease, fire, pestilence, earthquake, pedophilia, and car crashes BEFORE we had children; surely there is NO ONE on this planet choosing to have children who did not know about these things. And yet, AND YET, knowing this, knowing that death occurs every day; knowing that there are murderers and rapists and wars and droughts and suicides and divorce and cannibals and cancers, and that we nonetheless still choose to have children; all of this should lead us to one question, and one question only: When it comes to suffering and evil, who among us is NOT to blame?
Please note: I am responsible for every bit of suffering my child experiences in life, every bit. Why? Because I knew beforehand that dreadful things MAY happen; I might even have known that they WILL happen, and yet I (not anyone else) CHOSE to bring a child into this world. I am the source of suffering. If there was at least ONE thing I knew before reproducing a child, it was the simple fact that that child will someday DIE.
Interestingly, as I may be responsible for my child's sorrow, I cannot say that I am responsible for my child's joys. And this for the simple reason that before having a child I had no certainty that joy would come his or her way; but I was indeed certain that death MUST come. Life does not guarantee joy, and there is no proof that it ever did, or ever could, or ever will. But every graveyard is proof that even if there is joy, joy, eventually, falls into the ground. With family planning the only guarantee one has is death.
But since sorrow is one of life's guarantees, we can be glad that joy, should it come, is one of life's infinitely wonderful privileges. After all, there is no joy if one is entitled to it; there is no bliss if bliss is one's guaranteed right. Joy can only come in the form of a surprise or it is not joy. Hence, we take a gamble with every breath and in every birth. We hope, we pray; we throw our chance into the hand of omniscience. Surely we cannot blame God when things go wrong, particularly when we don't "blame" Him when things go remarkably right. But when things do go right, surely we are out there thanking God for the privilege of simple existence.
Well, one can only hope.
More tomorrow. [Part III begins here.]
Peace.
©Bill Gnade 2006/Contratimes - All Rights Reserved.
Technorati tags: Pope Benedict XVI, Auschwitz, Holocaust, Hitler, Theodicy, Problem of Evil
10 comments:
TJ,
Thank you for the encouraging words, particularly when the topic is so sobering. I hope I am able to maintain an effective argument all the way to the end of the series. We shall see.
It is nice to have you here.
Peace.
BG
As I read this post I was reminded of the contrast between a prevailing sense of appreciation versus the sense of entitlement. Appreciation leads us to glorify God, to contentment and joy. Entitlement leads to disappointment, anger, eventually a participation in the evil that perpetrated our personal experience of injustice. Good words- I look forward to the remainder.
Thank you, Ed, for your feedback.
Yes -- this has all been a problem for millennia. Love takes risks: love takes a chance, in spite of the facts before it, and it begets life. Love says, I think, that to exist and suffer might be better than never existing at all. Existence at least holds the possibility of joy, meaning, feeling, beauty. But non-existence offers nothing. So to procreate, risky as it is, is a wonderful thing if we are sentient of what it is we are doing. I have said elsewhere on this site that too often humans are having sex with no understanding what sex is or why they are ultimately doing it. But purposive procreation, with eyes wide open to the inherent risks, surely would help us better understand not merely the joys of life, but the reasons suffering and evil persist.
Peace.
BG
"love takes a chance.. and it begets life" Amen
I greatly disagree with anyone's opinion that Bush and his camp are worthy of our support (and I am now a registered Independent), but between all the purrin' and begettin' here, I find I like you way too much to avoid reading you.
Dear Anonymous,
I am glad that you find something here that is worth revisiting. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance (though, of course, I wish you were not so anonymous). But I am glad you like the "purrin' and begettin'". My word, if we are going to ATTEMPT to talk about deep and difficult things, we might as well try to have fun along the way. Bring the kittens, the dogs, the red-winged blackbirds, the snapping turtles and the blue herons. My goal is to make this all a bit like a salon and college class tucked into the bow (with plenty of portals) of Noah's Ark. Of course, there are lots of pots of hot coffee and plates of sticky buns; and later, pints of ale and carafes of wine. Enough for everyone, I hope. Sadly, I speak metaphorically. Oh, and there is a whole vegan table on portside (no meat on this particular trip: We are on an Ark, after all).
Love takes a chance ...
Peace to you, always,
BG
PS. If there is something that you take issue or WISH I would take issue with, regarding the Bush Administration, the Iraq War, or ANYTHING, you can let me know, anonymously, either through the comments or directly via my email link (see my profile for that). Your anonymity will be protected, I promise you. I extend this same invitation to every one reading this.
OK, I came in late - and just read parts one and two. I will be working through the rest later.
I am an relatively new Christian (last fall) and I have been really trying to wrap my mind around a lot of things in the last few months.
The existence of evil is a biggie! And I've enjoyed your posts a lot. But, it still sort of dances past the question of where did the evil come from. That's the one I'm wrestling with right now.
Because I can buy all the arguements about God is eradicating evil in the best way that it can be done. But if he is all good, and he created all things, I still have trouble with where did it come from.
God created Satan, if I understand correctly. So, did he make a mistake - that can't be right. What exactly is the purpose of having a prince of darkeness running around?
So far, the best I can say is that I understand that I just don't understand. But I have yet (in my limited time of looking) to find any answer that I can really grab on to.
I am not trying to be difficult here - just venting a little bit I guess.
Thanks for writting about this - I will go now and read parts 3 & 4!
- RC
My dear Anonymous,
I do not want to mislead you, so I must be very circumspect as I respond here. Let me at least say one thing: Even if God has created Evil; even if God made the Devil; nay, let me go further (for debate's sake) and say that God IS the Devil; my small allegory regarding the Fly, found in Part III, shows that God is no longer responsible for evil once we reject His offer of transformation: We become the sole authors and owners of evil. And if we accept His offer, we discover that we are not only incredibly culpable in our own sinfulness, irrespective of God's role in every thing, we see that God has taken the blame and gone to hell for it.
I am NOT saying that God is the author of evil. I am saying that even if He was/is that author, the Fly Analogy proves that He cannot be held accountable for our rejecting His offer of transformation and help. In other words (and to repeat myself), a fly that rejects God's help frees God from blame; and the fly that accepts God's help discovers that God has in fact already taken the blame.
I hope this is helpful. Let me know if it is or is not. Let's not end the conversation here; it is important that this sort of thing continues.
Peace and mirth,
Bill Gnade
Bill - that is helpful, I just have so much to try to digest. There are times that I am so sure of everything, then, I think too much about something like this and I start to wonder if God is all just in my head, you know? Well, maybe you don't. It's scary.
I choose to believe the Bible, but sometimes I don't really feel like I believe it. Then I start to wonder if that means I haven't REALLY been saved at all - maybe I'm just wishing I was.
When I start wondering about things like how a God who is all powerful, and all knowing, and completely good can create things that turn evil - I get nervous.
I know it's something I have to work through, and I am assuming that in time I will find a stronger faith.
For now, I often pray to God - Yes I believe, but please help my unbelief.
Thanks for taking the time to respond. You really have given me quite a lot to think about. I know in the end, the answer has to be that God knows what he is doing - and I just have to trust him. I am grateful that he found me - I spent almost 40 years wandering around on my own. I am just trying to get to know him now, and he is a little hard to know - if that makes sense.
Thanks again,
RC
My dear Anonymous #3,
It is OK, don't you think, to have doubts? Certainties, though not always, often become idols, and they also often become forgotten. Having some doubts along life's path causes us to look at maps, road signs and compasses; but those who have the road memorized don't need the signs, the markings, the hillsides, while those who have made such things idols have no need for the road.
The great thing about Christianity is that it IS about faith and grace; Jesus seems to imply that even with a little, tenuous faith great things will be learned, scaled, conquered. Plus, it is, after all, about grace. Some people worry that God will not accept them if their orthodoxy is not perfectly spelled out. Of course, orthodoxy is important, but orthodoxy does not save anyone. "A broken and contrite spirit though will not despise": it is the nature of the heart -- its desire for redemption, forgiveness, holiness, love, humility -- that wins God's grace. Knowledge, even orthodox knowledge, does not guarantee even godliness. That is why Jesus was so moved by admissions of doubt: He moves toward doubt with loving assurance -- it will be OK if you just believe.
Have you ever read "The Great Divorce"? There are vignettes in that wondrous little novel that beautifully capture how grace moves, and how grace transforms. It is a must read for Christians of any age. And it is amazingly beautiful.
And I am wondering if you've ever seen the film "Apollo 13". It is a decent film with one incredibly powerful moment that speaks to the Christian life. If you've seen it you'll recall what the Tom Hanks-character has to do: Using a thruster and a joy-stick, he has to "steer" the doomed space-craft toward earth, with his ultimate goal being this: at the last burst of fuel (there are only a few seconds of fuel for him to do this), at the very last point of thrust, he must have the craft pointed at the earth (he uses a window for a guide). If he cannot see the earth in the window at the final moment of ignition, all is lost. With all this in mind, he fires the rockets and blasts into a dizzying flight that swirls the mind. At times, the craft is NOT pointed at the earth, the earth is NOT visible. But, amazingly, at the last moment, the craft's trajectory is secured.
This whole image is my life's prayer: Lord Jesus Christ, please know this; that I hope in every moment to have my heart pointed heavenward, and yet hear my deepest plea; irrespective of how chaotic my flight, please KNOW that I want my heart pointed heavenward when I have run my last course. That IS my goal.
Grace knows the heart, and it comes to us even when the "certain" earth drifts out of our view forevermore.
The astronaut's faith and his work joined to save his craft, but it all started with his faith, which was fueled by hope. You've got the fuel, the grace, the hope. It will be OK, as long as you don't change your mind.
Peace.
BG
"Christianity has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult, and left untried." - G.K. Chesteron
Thanks BG - for your patience and your heart.
I am amazed. Whenever I really need some encouragement, God shows me where to find it.
I will be checking out The Great Divorce. I am reading the Chronicles of Narnia with my 6-year-old right now (on book 4 and she is still captivated!), and I have been thinking about reading some of Lewis' other books.
You have no idea how much your words lifted my heart tonight.
RC
Post a Comment