Friday, April 22, 2005

The religious left is no less threatening (A preface)

[A note of explanation: The following post is a letter to the editor I sent to the Peterborough Transcript, published in the town adjacent to mine in southwestern New Hampshire. I submit my letter to this blog for two reasons. First, I think it has merit; and second, I want to make a public prediction: The response to my letter will be swift and passionate, replete with ad hominem fallacies. I do not expect anything resembling a counter-argument (is there one?). But I do expect to be pilloried.

In my letter, I cite an earlier letter by Taylor Morris of Peterborough, NH. Mr. Morris, an author of sorts, is a retired professor of English Literature and a liberal activist. He counts Howard Zinn among his friends. I also cite a lecture by the (in)famous 'gay' bishop of the NH diocese of the Episcopal Church, Gene Robinson. Robinson recently spoke at Franklin Pierce College in Rindge, NH. His lecture was titled, "What in God's name is going on in America?"

Some of the readers of Contratimes will recognize that part of my letter is a rewrite of "God bless you please, Mr. Robinson." That commentary is posted below.]

Contratimes

No comments: