Sunday, May 28, 2006

Contratimes Writing Tip #1: Behold The Verb

I hear a lot from folks who wish they could become better writers. I empathize: I want to be a better writer, too. So, I am excited to announce a new thing here at Contratimes: Contratimes Writing Tips. I hope you will find this occasional feature helpful as you strive to perfect your craft.

One little note: there is nothing said here that is absolute (at least I don't think it is). Writing is a varied and wondrous art. It is impossible to reduce it to simple rules. The tips that are presented here will be exactly that –– tips –– simple suggestions that will help and hopefully never hurt. Consider them little tricks to add to your repertoire.

Tip #1. Use strong verbs

Great writers are surely masters of description, fixing a reader's attention to the essential details of scene, place, time. But most emerging writers misunderstand this part of a writer's very essential work: They think and see adjectives, missing the verbs. Hence, young writers in particular are all about adjectives, jamming descriptives here and there and just about everywhere else.
Yesterday morning, while wearing a mauve IZOD polo shirt, Eddie Bauer chinos and Sperry Top Siders, I walked out of my red aluminum office breezeway and noticed something across the asphalt street. The red brick schoolhouse, built in a rococo style, was on fire. Great red and orange flames could be seen against the midnight-dark smoke. Immediately I went to the nearby firehouse, a red cedar and pine gambrel nestled between two large red maples, and I told the fire chief the news. Red firetrucks quickly left the red cedar-with-a-barn-motif firehouse and went to the scene.
Pretty good, eh?

Now how about this:
Yesterday, when I stepped out of my office, I spotted smoke pouring out of the school across the street. Brilliant flames crackled behind the windows, with panes of glass bursting out everywhere. I rushed to the nearby firehouse, screaming for help. Firefighters instantly bolted toward the scene; firetrucks raced madly down the street, sirens blaring. Hoses were pulled, ladders raised. Flames hissed and steamed at blasts of water jetting through shattered glass as firemen frantically aimed their nozzles. One fireman, teetering on the slippery roof, smashed massive holes through broken tiles, as plumes of heat belched forth in swirling, volcanic fury. Smoke blacked out the sun. Paramedics scrambled toward victims. It seemed the whole street trembled ...
OK. Maybe not any better, but you get the point. Great writing bursts not with static but active description. Readers don't really care if the flames are red, they want to know what the flames are doing, eating, ravaging, scorching. Readers don't care if a man is wearing Ralph Lauren when he is moving down the sidewalk, they care that he is sprinting. Think action, not adjective. Paint with verbs.

Seriously, great writers use great verbs.

Peace.

©Bill Gnade 2006/Contratimes - All Rights Reserved.

Technorati tags: ,

4 comments:

Kim said...

I've just been working on this with my boys in their writing. We've been working on descriptive verbs. My 11 year old son was describing a business man (who wore a Rolex) "striding" into his office, and "mounting" the podium of the place he was speaking. He came up with those words on his own.

JRB said...

Seriously, next time let's discuss adverbs, too. They are my great weakness.

Being a New Englander, I'm sure you've read Stephen King's "On Writing." He gives adverbs what for. It's not The Elements of Style, but it's fun to read.

Jennifer said...

I was looking around on your blog and came across this post. Since I'm obviously getting into writing ...on blogs anyway...I thought this post would be interesting to read.

Thanks for the tip. I honestly have no idea how I write. All I know is what comes out of my fingertips is how I feel. I've never really thought about being a good writer or becoming one. People have been telling me that I write well (since I've started writing publicly on blogs).

I discovered that I don't write in order to be good. I write in order to communicate a thought or feeling. I just want others to experience what I experience. If they're interested....hahaha!

Jennifer

Bill Gnade said...

Sorry, everyone, for failing to reply to your comments more promptly.

Kim, I wish I had a teacher like you when I was young. Your students/sons sound like they will have a wonderful headstart on many of their peers.

JRB,

You know, I can't remember if I've read King's essay or not. Surely I must have. If I've not, surely I should. Thanks for the suggestion. I will try to get to adverbs at some point in the series.

Jennifer,

You appear to be a natural writer. I am glad that you are able to get what you feel on to the page. That is a hard thing for most of us to do. Keep at it. The world needs great writers.

Peace.

BG