Sunday, March 15, 2009

Are We Yet Broken?

Americans who care about such things will recall what First Lady Michelle Obama said during her husband's presidential campaign:
[B]efore we can work on the problems, we have to fix our souls - our souls are broken in this nation.
Ms. Obama made this very same announcement in my hometown. I stood less than 25 feet from her when she told a gathering of 100 people that "our souls are broken."

I just want to know three things, really. First, is Barack Obama's soul broken? If so, how? If not, then doesn't it follow that Michelle Obama was profoundly wrong? And is her soul broken?

Second, Ms. Obama proclaimed that BEFORE America works on its problems, "we have to fix our souls." Amazingly, her husband has been touted from sea to shining sea as the man who is getting things done; he's the man of action instantly making huge changes to our fallen land. Has he forgotten that the healing of souls needs to come first? That, at least, is what his wife said.

Third, I want to hear from the First Lady The World Has Been Waiting For exactly when she thinks our souls will no longer be broken. When, pray tell, will we be whole? And when will she grant us the absolution we so desperately seek?

Please, First Lady! Just a copper for a pauper!


Peace through dissent.

©2o09/Contratimes. All Rights Reserved.

3 comments:

Undergroundpewster said...

I already knew that my soul was broken.

Luke 20:17-18

"Jesus looked directly at them and asked, 'Then what is the meaning of that which is written:
The stone the builders rejected has become the capstone? Everyone who falls on that stone will be broken to pieces, but he on whom it falls will be crushed.'"

"We" cannot fix our broken souls. Nor can all the king's horses and all the king's men put our souls back together again. I hope she will agree with this, I really do.

Undergroundpewster said...

I forgot to add that my bones have been broken too.

Psalm 51:8

"Make me to hear joy and gladness; that the bones which thou hast broken may rejoice."

T.C. said...

I have a feeling we'll be hearing more "big statements" that sound spiritual and philosophical but are in reality empty, meaningless rhetoric moving forward.