Wednesday, October 31, 2007

On Books: HIGHLY Recommended

On this All Hallows' Eve, I shall make a prediction: Dinesh D’Souza’s latest book, What’s So Great About Christianity, will become a classic of Christian literature. And this glowing augury comes from someone who has so far only read half the book.

D’Souza’s book is the book I wish I had written. He strikes a perfect balance† between the lay and the semi-professional intellectual. The book’s only weakness is that it is too short: D’Souza could have spent more time fattening some of his arguments, though I am not suggesting that these arguments are anorexic. They might be just right and I am simply unable to see it. But I wish that some of the chapters were a little more substantial. (The bibliography and notes are certainly complete enough to satisfy the interests of more inquisitive readers.)

I promise you will be challenged and edified by this book. I think the book will set record sales numbers; I can see book groups springing up all around it. I urge you to get a copy and read it, and then tell your friends, and then blog about it. It surely deserves the broad and intense attention it will get. In fact, it deserves even more than that.

Oh. Another prediction: most of D’Souza’s detractors will not read any or all of the book. Many, in fact, will not expend the requisite intellectual strength necessary to read the entire thing.

Blessings and peace,

BG

†D'Souza also strikes a glorious balance between Protestant and Catholic expressions of Christian faith. Both sides in the Christian complex will find much to cheer about.

©Bill Gnade 2007/Contratimes. All Rights Reserved.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful. Another book recommendation, another Christmas wish. My wife is going to kill me.

:)

Cheers.

Odgie said...

Mr. Gnade,

Thank you for this. I have enjoyed your blog and will probably read D'Souza's book at the holiday break from school.

Kim said...

Has D'Souza ever written for First Things? I feel like that name is familiar to me.

Bill Gnade said...

Dear Kim,

Yes, Dinesh D'Souza has written for "First Things." He is also a columnist at Townhall.com, among many other things.

I believe he is also a Dartmouth grad: he's another fine product of New Hampshire.

Blessings,

Gnade

Bill Gnade said...

R. Sherman,

Seriously, put this book at the top of your list. It should be the one gift you not only receive but also give away.

It is truly outstanding.

Gnade

Bill Gnade said...

Odgie,

Now that is a cool screen name.

I pray you will read it. I promise you that you will find it profoundly engaging. It is a fantastic resource. It ranks at the very top of modern (and postmodern) Christian apologetics.

Blessings,

Gnade

LukeBuckham said...

"Oh. Another prediction: most of D’Souza’s detractors will not read any or all of the book. Many, in fact, will not expend the requisite intellectual strength necessary to read the entire thing."

I agree, totally. This is a big problem in our culture: most of ANYONE'S detractors don't bother to read the whole book. I vow to be an exception.