Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Watch What Comes Over Your Lips

I am contributing to the disgusting political propaganda battles simply by mentioning this. But I have to mention it. When something like this is a lead story on at least one national news program, the offering of opinions is de rigueur, even from the lowliest of us.

When I saw the clip last night of Barack Obama's quip, "You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig," my first reaction occurred before he even got to that now infamous moment: I was thinking about how exhausted and tired he looked and sounded. Predictably, I was jarred from this reflective moment when he hit his pig note. I winced, not because I thought he was calling Sarah Palin a pig, but because I knew he'd made a huge blunder. And a huge blunder it was.

I will say it -- I don't think Sen. Obama was talking about Sarah Palin. Of course, I don't know motives, I can't read minds. I just think it strains credulity to think he meant to insult Sarah Palin.

But what was very clear to me -- wasn't it clear to you? -- was that the audience perceived his remarks as a dig at Gov. Palin.

Look. Right now, lipstick is a political term, and Sarah Palin owns it. She introduced it to this political season; she scored hugely at the Republican National Convention with her pitbull-in-lipstick joke. We all know this. And I mean all.

With that said, the salient feature of Sen. Obama's gaffe -- and it was a tone-deaf gaffe -- is that when he paused after saying "You can put lipstick on a pig," the audience began to whoop and holler in approval. Indubitably, the audience made the connection to Gov. Palin, even if Barack Obama did not. And if Barack Obama was not ridiculous, it is safe to say that his audience was; it was their reaction that fueled this whole thing.

Imagine, however, that Sen. Obama caught himself mid-sentence. What would have happened had he backed out of his comment? I think he would have gotten much the same sort of response he received from the Republicans and from his live audience. It was a damned-if-you-do-damned-if, well, you know what I mean.

Is this all manufactured umbrage? Is this disingenuous outrage? Maybe. The fact is that the critics in the media and the highest levels of the Democratic Party have been quite critical of Gov. Palin. Tensions are high; there is a truly sensitive nerve out there that a PRESIDENT Obama needs to understand. He needs to convey to voters that he has the sensitivity to analyze his speech before he makes blatantly stupid remarks that strike that nerve. And by stupid, I mean politically stupid. In a very real way, this is an issue that he manufactured; it is not at all unlike Dan Quayle misspelling potato.

Personally, I chalk it up to fatigue. He sounds and looks tired. At least he did when he made his silly mistake.

(I have heard people justify Sen. Obama's "joke" by pointing out that John McCain has essentially used the same pig-in-lipstick metaphor. Two things. First, the clip I just watched of Sen. McCain using that expression on the campaign trail included a qualification that he did not like to use such language. Second, it should be noted that John McCain did not use the expression AFTER someone in the race had essentially patented the word lipstick.)

In closing, I think the Republicans could harm themselves by making more of this than is necessary. Both parties should abstain from making victims out of one another. The cross-cancelling effect is likely, especially if it cancels the interests of the electorate.

Peace.

PS. I note that after Sen. Obama mentioned the lipsticked pig, he went on to compare Sen. McCain's policies to an "old fish" wrapped in paper. I guess some analysts think this is a reference to Gov. Palin and her husband's fish business. Is this a huge a reach, or am I just a dope? Tell me it's a reach.
©2008/Contratimes. All rights reserved.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you both with respect to the lipstick remark, i.e. not directed at Palin and pretty darn tone deaf, and the fact that Senator Obama looks tired.

My take for what it's worth is this. His staff and handler's are inexperienced. They did not expect a Sarah Palin to completely undercut their message of "hope and change." If anything, McCain outflanked them with the choice especially when one contrasts Palin with the consummate hack Biden.

Second, Obama's friends are not helping. Beginning with Kos' despicable attacks on Palin's daughter, the smears which were easy to disprove, and the vitriol from a compliant press, i.e. a Canadian columnist writing that the Palin selection "sowed up the 'white trash' vote," they have consistently sabotaged Obama's outreach to the middle 40 percent of Americans who decide elections. Obama's protests and pleas to keep the election about issues have been drowned out by his supporters.

With friends like these . . .

Finally, McCain is using something he learned as a Navy fighter pilot. It concerns what is known as the OODA loop. This stands for "Observe Conditions, Orient Yourself, Decide A Course of Action and Act. McCain has been doing that to a "T" and is now "inside" Mr. Obama's OODA loop. That is, he is reacting faster that Mr. Obama and Mr. Obama is playing catch up. Essentially Mr. Obama is stuck in the "O - O" part of the loop because his decisions an actions are being overtaken by McCain.

Which is why Mr. Obama looks tired.

Just my two cents.

(Google "OODA Loop" to see what I'm talking about. Also, I think the McCain campaign is employing the "'Thach' Weave," another Navy fighter technique, to defend itself from attacks by Obama to good effect.)

Cheers.

Bill Gnade said...

R.!

Holy cow! That's about the coolest comment I've had this political season. I've NEVER even thought McCain might be using stuff from his Navy training. Of course. It makes total sense. We're talking war games stuff and psy ops, it seems, only tricked out for the political theater.

Thanks for the Google tips. I look forward to exploring this more.

I, too, heard about the piece from the CBC commentator re: white trash. Such comments are incredibly stupid -- and extremely harmful.

Peace,

BG

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the compliment although the credit goes to my (deceased) WWII aviator father who illustrated the Thach Weave in our basement with my brother when we were little kids.

Odgie said...

Bill,

I agree that the comment was not directed at Palin, and I agree that the Republicans should not try to make too much hash over this. But they really don't have to, do they?

No matter how hard Obama tries to remain on the high road, his supporters are going to drag the discourse down. Take a gander at "Huffington Post" if you don't believe me.

Of course, the Republicans are playing fairly nasty as well; this is the common denominator of modern campaigns. But the difference to the independent voter is that he or she likely feels more in common with Palin than Obama or McCain. And when Obama or his supporters get nasty towards Palin, the average voter may feel that they are being nasty towards him/her.

Bill Gnade said...

Dear R.,

I read last night the Wikipedia entries on both the Thach Weave and the OODA Loop. Very cool, indeed. I am especially impressed by the history and effectiveness of the Thach Weave -- simply brilliant. Seriously, I love this stuff. Thanks to you and you're awesome dad.

Peace,

BG

Bill Gnade said...

Dear Odgie,

I think I will respond (perhaps indirectly) to your comment in a post this morning. I was intending to write the post anyway, but you have confirmed something for me. Thanks.

Peace,

BG

Chris Wilson said...

Bill,

I would very much like to get your thinking on the latest Democrat talking point, something I blogged about this morning.

http://seewilsongo.blogspot.com/

Peace,

Chris

Bill Gnade said...

Brother Chris,

I feel like a dope. I thought you had given up blogging. Forgive me for being so rude: I should have stopped in some time ago.

Peace,

BG

Chris Wilson said...

Bill,
Please don't make any special efforts. I confess to being a complete peewee leaguer and have precious little to add to the debate. And in any case, I just started back up, having now found some extra time to jot down some thoughts. But I am honored by your fellowship.
Chris

Bill Gnade said...

Chris, R. Sherman, Odgie: I need you to comment on this one.