In two posts here (this and this), I wondered whether this "could be" the "October surprise" of the 2008 election cycle. Emphasis, of course, on "could be." I did not offer this with any sense of glee or delight or hope, I merely offered it. I simply felt the story "important."
But it seems that I may have been a victim of my own cynicism.
I spent a good part of today, and some of this past weekend, reading Philip J. Berg v. Barack Obama, et al., particularly all of Judge R. Barclay Surrick's "Memorandum & Order" which he issued on Friday night (when the suit was dismissed). It is thrilling reading.
I have two things I'd like to quickly spell out. First, the suit was dismissed essentially because the plaintiff, Mr. Berg (a Democrat and Hillary Clinton supporter), did not show standing or harm: he did not convey to the court that he himself could legitimately file suit, nor did he direct the court (according to law) how he had been hurt or how the court could right the alleged wrong. Second, the suit WAS NOT rejected because its evidence or facts were deemed false. In fact, because of the nature of the suit, the court had to accept the allegations as given as true, and then simply follow the legal and logical consequences presented in the complaint as all facts and motions relate to current law.
There were some very interesting comments penned by Judge Surrick, and I shall return to them in a moment. Suffice it to say it is all rather interesting. To me.
What disturbs me considerably is something I've spotted in myself, namely a cynicism so deep I have come to distrust nearly everyone running for political office. And there is no doubt I am of the psychological constitution where I find myself distrusting left-leaning peers more often than those who lean right. Since Barack Obama is undeniably left-leaning, I was too quick to suspect him of profound wrongdoing, of defrauding the American public by essentially gaining the presidency without meeting all constitutional prerequisites and by taking advantage of what is ostensibly the vague and seemingly unenforcable rules of Article II. Again, I am not saying I believed the lawsuit had legitimacy or that Mr. Obama was not born on American soil. I am saying that I am duly cynical enough to believe those things possible and plausible.
Moreover, I divined that my cynicism did not go deeply enough. I did not bring to the Pennsylvania lawsuit the next level of inquiry. I did not ask whether Mr. Berg himself was trustworthy; enamored of his former status as deputy attorney general of the state of Pennsylvania, I did not ponder that he might be something of a rogue litigant. After all, I learned in my simple research that Mr. Berg had earlier submitted a motion to the same court for protections in a bankruptcy procedure, and that the case was dismissed for the exact same reasons as Berg v. Obama. Add to that the item I picked up that reported Mr. Berg, shortly after 9/11, created a website asserting that the Bush administration either was involved in or knew beforehand the atrocities of that infamous day, and I am left holding something inherently suspect (it is no secret I have zero tolerance for 9/11 "truther" schemes).
And, of course, the zenith of my cynicism, if you will, manifested itself in my wondering aloud whether we would see a spate of similar lawsuits over the next few days and weeks.
______________________
Judge Surrick wrote some curious things in his memo and order, and I would like to note a couple of them here. But perhaps I should try to explain his ruling one more time in language that I know, the language of the layman.
The judge dismissed the case partly because the plaintiff was essentially complaining that someone else MIGHT NOT be following the law. Put this way, the complaint strikes even the lay person as prima facie foolish: I can't sue my neighbor, for example, because he might not be following federal tax codes. Hence, not only can I not bring such a suit, a judge has no grounds on which to adjudicate. Mere suspicion of wrongdoing is not sufficient justification for a court to hear my complaint.
The case was also dismissed because the plaintiff was not able to show harm done by the defendant (Barack Obama): if I vote for a man I believe does not meet the legal requirements, the man for whom I vote has not harmed me, I've harmed myself. After all, I could choose not to vote for the man; I could choose to vote for someone else, or not at all. Hence, there is really nothing for the court to redress for the plaintiff.
But what is startling even to the average "Joe the Voter" is that legal precedent has created a mind-boggling problem: the American voter has no (or very little) standing to bring to the courts any challenge about a candidate's legitimacy as a candidate. Here's one of Judge Surrick's statements in light of a New Hampshire legal ruling:
"...voters do not have standing to bring a claim under the Natural Born Citizen Clause to exclude a candidate from the presidential primaries." (Page 12, ¶ 1)Of course, Berg v. Obama is aimed not at the primaries but at the General Election; Judge Surrick believes that hardly matters. However, even Judge Surrick seems puzzled by this legal fact that voters have no standing; he offers that Congress, ultimately, may be the sole body that has standing in this case (contingent on Congress' interest, and whether it has passed or will pass laws that can guide them). In short, Judge Surrick's order leads me to believe that there must be a dearth of legal precedents and procedures (if any) to properly adjudicate when a candidate has been elected to the Presidency without meeting the Natural Born Citizen requirement. (Has a loophole been found? If so, can we say chaos? crisis? After all, if a US citizen does not have a legal standing here, who, or what, does? Very interesting. And is it at all reassuring that Congress may have sole standing here?)
But what struck me as particularly curious was this comment made in the judge's notes, (page 11, note #9):
"...Plaintiff would have us derail the democratic process by invalidating a candidate for whom millions of people voted and who underwent excessive vetting during what was one of the most hotly contested presidential primary in living memory."That this strikes me as undeniably political and not one whit jurisprudential goes without saying. Moreover, it strikes me as rather naïve, as the judge asserts without any legal reference or attribution of expertise that Barack Obama "underwent an excessive vetting." His comments are also irrelevant, as is the vetting itself, even if it bears epistemic weight: the issue is NOT whether Mr. Obama has been vetted, and such is not before the court. The question is really about authority: who, if not the voter, can hold to account a candidate who has not proven citizenship? It seems Mr. Berg is at least asking that question. What amazes me is that the only definitive answer given by the court is that neither the voters nor the court have legal standing in this matter. And even if Mr. Berg is counting on the court to accept him as having legal standing, the question is not about "vetting" but about "proof" or the failure (allegedly) to present it.
Amazingly, though this is largely a procedural statement, this statement is made not only by the judge, it is stipulated in Barack Obama's motion to dismiss:
"We have taken Plaintiff’s factual allegations as true and drawn all inferences in his favor."
So what we are left with is only a very limited legal clarification. The case is not dismissed on grounds that the charges are false (though they probably are). The case is dismissed because the complaint was filed by the wrong person, in the wrong places, and lacked sufficient evidence of damage to the plaintiff.
Interesting, interesting.
©2008. All Rights Reserved.
8 comments:
Bill- I submit that if Barack Obama is elected and it is later found that he was not qualified under the US Constitution, that irreparable harm will be done to ALL voters. Can't we have this very basic question legally answered before it gets to that?
This is tough with someone who at least by all appearances looks to be a US Citizen. But what if it was not so tough? We are aware that Arnold Schwartzenegger, for instance, was born in Austria but I'm sure that few of us, if any, have actually laid hands on his birth certificate. If he declared himself a candidate for the Presidency, whose responsiblity would it be to confirm his qualifications under the Constitution and officially declare him ineligble?
Dear Chris,
You are asking exactly the right question here. Let us concede that Sen. Obama is a "born in the USA" citizen. That does not eliminate the problem raised by the lawsuit: Who CAN ask for "proof" of citizenship and who enforces the rules assumed under Article II?
Peace,
Gnade
Standing would lie with another candidate. For example, a losing candidate could challenge whether the winner actually lives in the district s/he represents. It's not uncommon in local elections. Therefore, McCain could arguably challenge Obama, but the controversy would only become "ripe" after the election.
Secondly, you must remember the separation of powers is in play here. Under our Constitution, the election of the president is accomplished by an Electoral College, the members of which are "elected" on November 4. In other words, a vote for a candidate is actually a vote for that candidate's electors. The electoral college vote is then certified by Congress.
What would have to happen is that the Secretary of State of each state where Obama is candidate would have to be sued by a citizen of that state arguing Obama shouldn't be listed on the ballot. If not, then after the election, McCain could bring an election contest alleging he was not qualified in each state. Finally, McCain could challenge the certification of the electoral college results in congress. It is unclear where the initial venue would lie, but most likely in the Supreme Court.
Cheers.
Dear R. Sherman,
Believe it or not, I mentioned you in my initial post. I wondered whether you could help me here. But I deleted the petition at the last minute. I am glad you have helped me see things more clearly.
It is interesting, however, that Judge Surrick does not mention that Sen. McCain would have standing. Surrick actually discusses the difficulty of defining standing; but if what you say is true -- and it seems obvious that it must be -- I am surprised he did not mention it, even in a hypothetical or an analogous sense. After all, he uses other analogies. Why not simply state that someone in McCain's position could be heard by the court?
Blessings!
BG
Also, R. Sherman,
You have highlighted one of the other problems with Berg v. Obama: Mr. Berg should have sued the Pennsylvania secretary of state. That bolsters Judge Surrick's judgment that the wrong defendants had been named in the suit.
Again, all very interesting.
Peace.
BG
I don't know if you heard, but apparently SCOTUS has gotten involved with the Obama's birth certificate issue. In a press release issued friday- Philip J. Berg, the Attorney who filed suit against Obama challenging Senator Obama’s lack of “qualifications” to serve as President of the United States filed a Writ of Certiorari in the United States Supreme Court on October 30, 2008, requesting review of the United States District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania, Judge Surrick’s Dismissal of Philip J. Berg’s lawsuit against Barack H. Obama, Jr., the DNC and the other co-Defendants. Accordingly, the U. S. Supreme Court has set dates in which Barack Obama, the DNC and all co-Defendants are to respond to the Writ, which is on or before December 1, 2008.
here’s a link to the SCOTUS document http://www.supremecourtus.gov/docket/08-570.htm
Apparently, Justice Souter's clerk requested proof of citizenship from Obama by Dec. 1. After that date, Berg will respond. I'm not sure why Souter was involved and not Chief Justice Roberts. I believe 4 Justices must approve the Writ, so maybe Souter's one of them.
I know I sound like a wacky conspiracy theorist, but hear my out. The Electoral College meets on Dec.15. According to the Wikidpedia entry - the electoral college is made up of real people (usually party regulars of the party whose candidate wins each state) with the capacity to adapt to unusual situations. That capacity might be particularly important if, for example, a candidate were to die or become in some other way unsuitable to serve as President or Vice President. Advocates of the current system argue that these electors could then choose a suitable replacement (who would most likely come from the same party of the candidate who won the election) more competently than could the general voting public.
Am I the only one that sees "Hillary 2008"? Berg is a Clinton operative. Souter is a Clinton appointee. If the SC finds Obama "unsuitable", the likely nominee would be Clinton. I guess we'll see how strong the Clinton Machine is. The Electoral College meets on Dec. 15 to cast votes for the presidential election. I'm not sure all the legal ramifications, like what role Congress has in all this. It makes since that Obama is lining his cabinet who served in the Clinton White House. Particularly interesting is Rahm Emanuel as Chief of Staff. He's a real attack dog and holds tremendous sway in the DNC (helped get Dems the majority in the House) and in Congress. Maybe Obama's building alliances or maybe I read way too many DC based spy thrillers. Whatever happens, there's a book deal in it for somebody.
here’s a link petitioning Congress to address the matter…
http://www.rallycongress.com/constitutional-qualification/
Sorry for the length...
Dear Karen,
Thank you for the comment and link.
First, permit me to correct one factual error in what you've written. Justice David Souter is a George H. W. Bush appointee; he was appointed in 1990. I would know this simply because Souter is from New Hampshire.
Second, I agree with you that as far as the legal machinations of all this are concerned, Barack Obama's "birth certificate" remains an issue. It may be an utterly empty issue; the facts may contravene any legal challenges we see. But it is undeniable that the issue remains alive in the courts, proving that it is STILL very much an issue.
If what you report is true, that the SCOTUS is involved, I think that the SCOTUS will reject the writ; I don't see how they could even remotely overturn Judge Surrick's Memorandum & Order. I think that R. Sherman, above, has given us some guidance here; I think the only person to have standing in this may be John McCain himself; and I believe that any suit filed needs to be directed at secretaries of state, rather than Barack Obama. Plus, we may hear complaints about the proper division of powers: it may be that the SCOTUS cannot make the sort of inquiries it is alleged to have made regarding Mr. Obama's birth certificate.
As for your other suggestion that Hillary Clinton still may be considered a viable replacement, which is not absurd at all, I think it has merit only among Hillary's most excitable supporters, Mr. Philip Berg being chief among them. But I do not see that Hillary is the only viable candidate here; I think Joe Biden could easily be Mr. Obama's replacement. But I wonder who the Electoral College (its vote ratified before a joint congress† of the House and Senate, right?) is legally bound to choose in the matter you describe. I guess I should investigate. May I ask a wild question? Could Michelle Obama be a replacement for her husband in the scenario you have put forward? I have no idea.
And speaking of Michelle Obama, if all goes well with the Mr. Obama regime, she will run for President in 2016 or 2020.
(† Read this archives.gov re: the ratification of the EC vote:
Counting Electoral Votes in Congress
The Congress meets in joint session to count the electoral votes (Congress may pass a law to change the date). The President of the Senate is the presiding officer. If a Senator and a House member jointly submit an objection, each House would retire to its chamber to consider it.
Please note who is presiding here: Dick Cheney. Can we say 'intrigue'?)
Peace,
BG
BG - Thanks for the correction about Souter. I actually believe that SCOTUS will overturn Surrick's decision. It is so full of peculiarities, it seems intentionally written to be overturned. Souter's clerk reviewed the case and felt it had enough grounds to pursue. Why would Souter even consider it, if it had no grounds?
As for the EC, I don't think they're legally bound to choose anyone if the president-elect is deemed unsuitable, but usually they choose someone of the party that won the most electoral votes. Hillary was runner up in the primaries - all those cracks in the glass ceiling. Biden is a possibility, but I really think this whole thing is Hillary's "hail Mary" to get to the White House.
I don't know about Michelle Obama. She was never a candidate, so I don't see how she'd be eligible.
What's even funnier than the thought of Cheney, is that sometimes it's the President pro tem of the Senate - Senator Byrd!
We'll see what happens come Dec. 1st.
Post a Comment