If I ever write anything at Contratimes like Paul Krugman's New York Times piece, "Weapons of Math Destruction", I beg of you: Pull my plug. Please?
The sad part is that Mr. Krugman, that gnostic, is unable, along with his many friends, to see the irony of his essay's title. Unless Mr. Krugman is actually a comedian. In that case, this paragraph from his essay is a side-splitter:
I’m sure that this column will provoke a furious counterattack from the administration, an all-out attempt to discredit my math. Yet if I’m wrong, there’s an easy way to prove it: just release the raw data used to construct the table titled “Projected Share of Individual Income Taxes and Income in 2006.” Memo to reporters: if the administration doesn’t release those numbers, that’s in effect a confession of guilt, an implicit admission that the data contradict the administration’s spin.
Perhaps it is evident that Mr. Krugman is a fantasy writer, since he is computing with numbers that are not the raw data he needs. Or perhaps he's a mysti-gogue in the gnostic tradition of the writers of the "Gospel of Judas" (with all due apologies to real Gospels): Master Krugman sees numbers like no one else can.
Remember, Mr. Krugman is a columnist for America's "Paper of Record." You know, that very grey, senescent lady.
Peace.
©Bill Gnade 2006/Contratimes - All Rights Reserved.
Technorati tags: Paul Krugman, The New York Times, Gnosticism
No comments:
Post a Comment