Earlier this month, while speaking at the National Prayer Breakfast, Barack Obama urged Americans, particularly prayerful Americans, to strive for civility.
"Empowered by faith, consistently, prayerfully, we need to find our way back to civility."
"Stretching out of our dogmas, our prescribed roles along the political spectrum, that can help us regain a sense of civility."
"I know in difficult times like these -- when people are frustrated, when pundits start shouting and politicians start calling each other names -- it can seem like a return to civility is not possible, like the very idea is a relic of some bygone era. The word itself seems quaint -- civility."
In Mr. Obama's speech, he invoked "civil" or "civility" ten times. But what is civility? And what is the essential component that makes civility civil? Is civility nothing more than being kind, polite, well-mannered?
_________________________
A LITTLE HISTORY LESSON
Let me begin with negation. Civility is not courtesy. It is not good manners. It is not politeness. It is not a kind tone. It is not a strict adherence to protocol or deference to propriety. Of course, it feels like civility must contain all of these things, but it doesn't. If it does, however, these are only accidental. They are not essential.
Civil and civility derive from the Latin civilitas, which stems from civilis, which stems from civis, or "citizen." Civilis meant "relating to citizens" ("citizens" derived from civitas, the Latin word for "city").
I know, I know, this seems all rather academic, but there is a point, and that point is civility has not always meant courtesy or good manners.
I know, I know, this seems all rather academic, but there is a point, and that point is civility has not always meant courtesy or good manners.
Here is how civility is currently defined in the New Oxford American Dictionary:
CIVILITY, n. formal politeness and courtesy in behavior or speech
But this note in the same dictionary is important:
In early use the term denoted the state of being a citizen and hence good citizenship or orderly behavior. The sense [politeness] arose in the mid 16th century.
In other words, the current use of civility -- politeness -- is a rather recent one.
This foray into etymology is not frivolous. It is important to note that civility is not essentially about being polite, or, more aptly, civility is not about being "polished or made smooth" (which is the meaning of the Latin root for polite). It is really about something else. Kind tones, nice words -- these are not essential to civility at all, especially when one considers that civilization is really the result of civility: civility creates a civilization. It is essential to it.
But if civility is not essentially about politeness or courtesy, what is it?
Answer: Civility is the honorable use of truth. If society is a marketplace, then those who exchange truth in an honorable way, are civil. Truth is the most essential currency, not only in actual financial markets -- the whole idea of honest scales comes to mind -- but in the marketplace of ideas. Those who refuse to transact in truth are not civil, nor are they civilized.
_________________________
POLITENESS DOTH NOT A CIVILIZATION MAKE
One can easily imagine a world of incredible politeness that does not exchange in truth. Such a world, however, could never be civilized. We all have witnessed incredibly polite people tell nothing but lies; from childhood to old age, we can see that politeness can often be a form of abuse, being little more than the packaging of really damaging goods. And where there is abuse, and where there is the neglect of truth, civilization falters, struggles, and even decays. It is impossible to build or sustain a civilization without truth, just like it is impossible to build anything -- at least anything that lasts -- without a firm foundation composed of truth, of the truth of the laws of physics and the rules of engineering. Imagine a set of architect's instructions -- meticulously spoken with perfect syntax, grammar and politely offered warnings -- and yet his words are filled with half-truths and falsehoods. Imagine travel directions given that are sweetly spoken and yet completely wrong. A perfectly polite world without truth or respect for truth would indeed be one where chaos reigns.
And one can easily imagine a civilization that thrives that is not one whit polite. Imagine an architect offering advice whose speech is laced with profane, crude and abusive language, and yet he is utterly precise in his designs, designs obedient to the laws of physics. Things would get built, and they would stand erect against all forces. A civilization need not be built on courtesy. It may help, but courtesy is tangential at best to the great arch of truth that holds a civilization upright.
As long as any civilization is committed to the honorable use of truth, then that civilization will be civil in the truest sense.
As long as any civilization is committed to the honorable use of truth, then that civilization will be civil in the truest sense.
_________________________
THE BIFURCATED TONGUE IS SMOOTH
So why bother with all this? Simple, really. I find Barack Obama utterly polite, and yet frequently given to marketing falsehoods. He is obviously a courteous politician, polished and politic. But even the devil is polite. Even Wormtongue was "civil." Even the serpent hisses courteously.
No, I am not suggesting Mr. Obama is a devil. My point is too refined for that sort of garish accusation. I am saying that we must be careful. I am saying that we must be diligent. I am saying that we must not be swayed by smooth speech, or even kind words -- from anyone. What matters is not the delivery or tone or cosmetics. What matters is how truth is handled. What matters is how facts are shared. What matters is civility -- the honorable use of truth.
_________________________
MR. OBAMA: HOW HIS FAITH INFORMS HIM
Here is an example of the sort of truth-less currency with which Mr. Obama transacts; the quote is lifted directly from his speech at the prayer breakfast; Mr. Obama began that speech with a promise that he would speak of how his faith informs his presidency:
"God's grace, and the compassion and decency of the American people is expressed through the men and women like Corpsman Brossard. It's expressed through the efforts of our Armed Forces, through the efforts of our entire government, through similar efforts from Spain and other countries around the world. It's also, as Secretary Clinton said, expressed through multiple faith-based efforts. By evangelicals at World Relief. By the American Jewish World Service. By Hindu temples, and mainline Protestants, Catholic Relief Services, African American churches, the United Sikhs. By Americans of every faith, and no faith, uniting around a common purpose, a higher purpose."†
This may seem utterly harmless; it may seem as innocuous and innocent as a child talking about fairies. But it isn't innocuous or harmless or innocent. It is grotesque. If it is not meant as deception and propaganda, then it is undeniably stupid. If it is propaganda, then it is an insult to all religions, and all atheists, and it is meant to deceive, confuse, and obfuscate. And what seems a mere sentimental passage in a forgettable speech is surely a celebration -- unwitting, perhaps, which thus confirms the charge of stupidity -- of Unitarian-Universalism, the creed-less church that attracts so many American liberals.
Pay attention! Just follow "God's grace." Look at what Mr. Obama claims expresses that grace: "God's grace ... it's expressed ... [b]y Americans of ... no faith." Imagine! Even the good actions of atheists are an act of God's grace. Moreover, God's grace is "expressed through the efforts of our Armed Forces..." It is expressed in "Hindu temples." It is expressed through the Spanish government. But not only God's grace, but the "compassion and decency of the American people is expressed through ... Spain and other countries... ."
And, to top it all off, Barack Obama is celebrating that the religious and non-religious, all expressing God's grace, unite "around a common purpose, a higher purpose." Indeed, one wonders not only what he means, but whether Pope Benedict XVI knows anything about this "higher purpose."
In this speech on his faith, Mr. Obama declared "progress doesn't come when we demonize our opponents." I will spare readers the details of the times Mr. Obama has demonized his opponents; suffice it to say that when he makes such an exhortation he demonizes those who apparently demonize their opponents; he transcends such petty sins by sounding the noble call not to demonize, thus elevating himself, seeing himself as "above all that."
And he wraps up his speech with a quote from Martin Luther King: "Love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy into a friend." But such is simply not true: Truth can change an enemy into a friend (and some enemies become friends around a shared lie).
But what is most disturbing, perhaps, is this line that epitomizes Obama double-speak: "Surely we can agree to find common ground when possible, parting ways when necessary." [emphasis mine]
In other words, calls for unity, civility, common ground: all vapid, empty. We can part ways -- "when necessary."
I began this essay on Wednesday. I did so in anticipation of Mr. Obama's healthcare "bi-partisan" summit, which is happening as I write this sentence. It will be interesting to see if Mr. Obama exchanges with his opponents the currency of truth; it will be interesting to see whether he demonizes his opponents using straw man fallacies, misrepresenting their views. And it will be interesting to see if he will find reasons to part ways, "when necessary."
Whatever happens, I am sure it will all be very polite.
___________________
†Let's examine this further. Mr. Obama seems to mean that God's grace is really some sort of Idealism, some 'spirit' that inheres in history: that history irresistibly flows towards a progressive end, and it is a shame to be on "the wrong side of history." Or, he is talking about pantheism, that "all" is God, and hence even the actions of an atheist are "God's grace." Or, he is conflating God with the will of the American people: what we will is God, and what we will is good (and spreads throughout all peoples). But these are all philosophically and theologically naive. Surely he cannot mean such things; surely he does not mean to supplant the dogmas of the earth's greatest religions with such bland pantheistic ideals. But if he does not mean them, or if he does not really understand what he is saying, what does this say about his intellectual capacities? And what if he REALLY does mean them? Do we not conclude that he is an intellectual child? And if he does not mean what he said, if he is merely reading words penned by a speechwriter, then is he not deceiving us, lying to us that this is how he feels, that this is how faith informs him as a man and as a president? In conclusion, we can only say that what he said is horrible, (and that he said it is horrible, too).
___________________
†Let's examine this further. Mr. Obama seems to mean that God's grace is really some sort of Idealism, some 'spirit' that inheres in history: that history irresistibly flows towards a progressive end, and it is a shame to be on "the wrong side of history." Or, he is talking about pantheism, that "all" is God, and hence even the actions of an atheist are "God's grace." Or, he is conflating God with the will of the American people: what we will is God, and what we will is good (and spreads throughout all peoples). But these are all philosophically and theologically naive. Surely he cannot mean such things; surely he does not mean to supplant the dogmas of the earth's greatest religions with such bland pantheistic ideals. But if he does not mean them, or if he does not really understand what he is saying, what does this say about his intellectual capacities? And what if he REALLY does mean them? Do we not conclude that he is an intellectual child? And if he does not mean what he said, if he is merely reading words penned by a speechwriter, then is he not deceiving us, lying to us that this is how he feels, that this is how faith informs him as a man and as a president? In conclusion, we can only say that what he said is horrible, (and that he said it is horrible, too).
©2010/Contratimes. All Rights Reserved.
24 comments:
You're right. Fuck civility, he should be cracking some skulls, and certainly not praying. Jesus Christ... maybe I'll go light a candle for world peace, see how that turns out.
Ginx,
You're just another atheist expressing God's grace.
Well I lit a candle. The only difference seems to be the scent of vanilla wafting in the air.
I actually was contemplating the question of defining civility/civilization some time ago in a different context. My conclusion, as flawed as man is, civilization is based upon empathy for our fellow humans, submission to the rule of law, and self-restraint. Add to that your definition of "honorable use of the Truth," and I think we're good to go.
In fact, I believe that your statement (which presupposes and acknowledgment that there is, in fact, something called "Truth,") is the foundation for everything else.
One query, however: Can the use of Truth, ever be dishonorable?. Truth is. Of itself, it is amoral. Knowing the truth may be painful, of course, but I take the position that pain or no, truth cannot hurt me, inasmuch as God is the author of Truth, i.e. the Logos which has existed from the Beginning.
Cheers.
'What is truth"?
P. Pilate
DL,
I've always loved Pilate's question. Do you think the answer is presumed in the asking?
RS.,
Perhaps I've written a tautology. No doubt I've written a clunky phrase. Maybe I should have written that civility is to honor truth.
But maybe not. To honor something, of course, is to respect it. It also means to keep; to fulfill one's obligation -- to honor one's contracts.
To dishonor, then, would be to disrespect, and to break.
I believe it is possible to dishonorably use truth. Perhaps I can prove myself capable of generating a few examples of truth dishonorably used.
Imagine that I am a district attorney. There has been a murder. I collect evidence; I create a timeline; I find a suspect. I determine a motive. I interview my suspect; I interview several witnesses. OK. I get all my ducks in a row: I have EXACTLY the right narrative. I have the truth. And then I go to the media with my story, sharing details, evidence, testimony. In short, I tell THE TRUTH, and all of it.
But there is dishonor. How? How can simply exchanging the truth with the media be a dishonorable use of that truth?
Well, first, I never obtained search warrants to collect evidence. Second, I never read anyone ANY rights. Third, I went to the media -- even though I actually had ALL my facts right -- and told them the right history, motive and source of the crime.
Obviously, you see the problems. Despite the fact that I was exchanging in truth, I was doing so dishonorably. I ruined any chance of a conviction because I gathered the truth dishonorably, and I ruined the jury pool, nullifying any chance of a fair trial, simply because of the act of telling the whole truth to the world.
(And let us not forget about breaching attorney/client privilege: An attorney could surely speak the truth about his client, but he would be using that truth dishonorably.)
Not a perfect example, I know, but not bad.
We are exhorted as Christians to speak the truth in love. There is an implication: it is possible to speak the truth in hate. In fact, one could love truth more than one's neighbor; such a person, committed entirely to the glories of the blunt truth and nothing else, could tell his neighbor truthfully, "Hey! You're fat!" or "You know, I'd like to have sex with your wife." Such is utterly honest and true; the man committed to truth without love and speaks the truth is dishonoring truth: truth is not a blunt instrument, or weapon, or even a casual bit of currency. It is the lifeblood of human relations -- but only when spoken in love -- in other words, when it is shared honorably. And love without truth is mere sentiment, mere saccharin delusion.
The devil, as you know, is depicted in Scripture as always speaking truths. Of course, he omits things, or uses equivocation or amphiboly to his advantage. In Jesus' temptation, the devil even cites Scripture: he uses the truths of God's "own words." Is this the honorable use of truth? No. And for many, the ends justifies the means: Use only part of the truth; or misapply a truth to a given problem, or stress a word in a true statement differently than it is intended, as long as the end is met. But truth suffers.
Lastly, I think one word completely captures the dishonorable use of truth; this deadly sin transacts entirely in truth. That one word, this deadly sin, is gossip.
There is much more to say about this; there is no doubt something I am missing. Perhaps you can help me sharpen my thoughts to a very fine point.
Peace.
BG
Actually, you provide a pretty good example. Perhaps another would be using the Truth in an attempt to mislead when you know or have reason to know the recipient of the truth could be misled. In other words, using the Truth to reinforce a false belief.
I need to ponder this some more for better examples, but here's one: Once I ruined one of my wife's blouses in the laundry while she and the kids were visiting family in Europe. I threw it away. Weeks later she asked me if I'd seen it. I replied, quite truthfully, "not for some time."
(I fessed up later, BTW.)
Cheers.
HA, I should probably refrain from even addressing you, but alas, I cannot. Instead, I shall pose some simple questions: Why do you care so much about what Christians believe? If we are wrong, so be it. If you seek to convert us to your point of view or dissuade us from our faith, why the ad hominem drive-by hissy-fit? You'll forgive me, but such rhetorical devices to not speak particularly well for your own rationality, not to mention personal stability.
Regards.
(Bill, sorry for jumping in. Undoubtedly, you don't need me to rise on your behalf--RS)
Bill-I'm not sure as to in what spirit wasorignally meant by the "What is truth" reply. The remark could be taken either as a cynical, sneering reply by a corrupt Roman offical, or an existinal question by a aristocrat schooled in Greek philosophy and Rhetoric, or (my favorite interpretation)even a sincere response by a world-weary, tired man who's seen an awful lot of life, and had to make hard decisions. To me, it's like a Koin or the sound of one hand clapping-whatever you hear in "What is Truth", is whatever the answer is.
Dear RS,
I will take any help you can give, my friend. It's not often we are visited here by such colossal heavyweights.
In peace.
Interesting thoughts, DL.
Let's take your one hand clapping analogy and run with it.
On the one hand, Pilate might indeed be saying something unwittingly ironic: He's asking the Incarnation of Truth (or so it goes) -- Jesus -- what is truth. The what, in this case, may very well be a Who, if you know what I mean.
On the same hand, Pilate may be asking something ironic that he knows is ironic, and he knows Jesus does, too: "Those Jews outside, the ones who want you dead, they don't know what's truth, do they?"
But the context leaves us really no choice: Pilate is asking a question, raised by what Jesus said, "I came into the world to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me."
I sense in Pilate a hollowness, a deep cynicism. He seems utterly disgusted not so much with Jesus but the whole process. He's jaded, hurt, disenchanted.
But the question is curious to me. It assumes that there not only might be an answer. It assumes that the words what, is and truth, refer to something that is true: Each has a true meaning, a true usage. If this were not so, language would be useless: If all words meant anything then all words would be meaningless.
So, in a sense, it could be argued that Pilate knows the truth, he knows what it is, or, at least, what it should look like. This is not to say he knows all truth, just that he must know what truth looks like, or should look like, in his very question. If he did not make such assumptions, he could never even know if an answer had been given, even a wrong answer. He possesses some measure, some internal guide, that enables him to divide truth from falsehood. No doubt disturbed at how truth is abused in this life, Pilate is tempted to speak in exasperation -- What is true anymore!?
Of course, if Jesus said, "Nothing is truth," well, then Pilate would have his answer: It would be true nothing was true. Which would mean, of course, that something is true.†
Talk about one hand clapping: The following statement is true. The preceding statement is false.
Peace.
†Perhaps I've equivocated here.
Dear RS,
I dropped HA's elegant words. I find I am offended by delicate and refined language. Sweet reasonableness is just so jarring. Hence, I expunged HA's language without compunction.
No doubt I've committed a deep offense to poetry.
Actually, Bill, I now regret responding to him/her. I popped over to his/her pages via profile. Thus I saw a two entry blog of nothing but rehashed venom, said better and more clearly (and rationally) by innumerable others. As I read, I wound up feeling increasingly sorry for the writer, who obviously deserves little other than our pity and our prayers. One has to wonder what sort of spirit inhabits one which causes so much anger directed at so benign a target. If s/he truly believes what s/he preaches, one has to question why s/he expends the energy necessary to maintain that sort of hatred. I mean, golf is a more fun hobby.
Cheers.
RS.
Golf is thoroughly more fun, even when done poorly.
Hi Bill-thanks for responding to what is a fascinating subject(at least to me). Following your reply, I was inspired to do some Googgling on Pontius Pilate, and found this on Wilki
-"According to Philo, Pilate was "inflexible, he was stubborn, of cruel disposition. He executed troublemakers without a trial." He refers to Pilate's "venality, his violence, thefts, assaults, abusive behavior, endless executions, endless savage ferocity."[22] While Josephus echoed this sentiment in "Pilate repeatedly almost caused insurrections among the Jews due to his insensitivity to Jewish customs." Among other charming quirks was Pilates robbing the Temple and killing Jewish protesters-kind of an early Tinnamen Square sort of guy.
To be frank, I suspect both Philo and Josephus impartiality. Philo was trying to fuse Christianity and Stocism, while Josephus had a rather murky past(By our standards today) as a General in the Jewish Revolt, then turned coat and joined the Romans, THEN wrote many a slanted pro-roman propaganda missal, to stay in his new masters good graces. Then again, both writers do echo one another and are consistent in their discription of Pilate (Unless they used the same sources), which is a point in their favor.
Honestly, I can't really decide what sort of man Pilate was. It's like trying to decide about Abe Lincoln if you only had two short paragraphs about the former President to work with. From what I do know about the rapicity and cruelty of Roman governors as a group, especially governors of non-Roman citizens, then Pilate was probally at the norm, or a a little below. But trying to judge a man of the 1st century's mental, emotional, and spiritual states by our standards, when terms such as "individual" or "possession" or even concepts such as "pain" or "love" would be so divurgent, is really like an exercise in well-discribing the sound of one hand clapping. (Let alone the impossibilty of trying to guess at to what goes through anyones mind at any time, let alone Pilate's during Jesus's trial-another reason why I distrust "history so")
My gut instinct tells me that Pilate (if he even said those words or if there even was a trial to begin with, which some scholars sharply disagree on) was a coarse, cruel man governing over what he considered inferiors-a hard, tough self-man man for a hard, tough place. Serious questions on the nature of "Truth" to a Jewish subject would probally have struck such a man as a absurd waste of time.
Sorry if I went on ad nasuem!
Danni Lee
I've meant to comment on Danni/Bill's Pilate discussion, which I, too, find a fascinating topic, both from a spiritual as well as purely historical perspective.
As I understand it, Judea was troublesome bit of real estate even to the Romans. Herod, an ally first of Marc Antony and then Octavian Augustus, was able to rule with relatively little Roman interference in his kingdom, because he did all the necessary groveling in place of his subjects.
When he died, however, the populace became restive under his heirs, and the Romans stepped in with a cohort and governor. The result, was that the Jews were allowed to do their own thing within reason, so long as it didn't upset the Pax Romana or jeopardize the empire's flank with respect to the Parthians to the East.
Then along comes one Joshua from Galilee and has the appearance of upsetting not only the established religious order, but also the political, as well. The Jews wanted him dead as a heretic, and they tried to co-opt the Romans into doing the dirty work, which Pilate initially refused to do, sending Jesus to be judged by the son of Herod who nominally ruled Galilee.
When that didn't work, and when his attempt to free Jesus via the Passover mercy rule failed with the chants of "Give us Barabbas," I think he just said, "To heck with it" and proceeded to order the execution to calm everything down, so he didn't have a riot or rebellion on his resume when he went back home to Italy.
Thus, from a political standpoint, I see both a man who's bone tired of the controversy and wants it to be over --much like a frustrated parent dealing with a pair of bickering children-- as well as the consummate, self-protecting politician/political appointee.
My thoughts; your mileage may vary.
Cheers.
Fascinating discussion. I appreciate your civil tone!
Doesn't the word polite come from the Greek polis or politeia? If so, then it pretty well means civil, if only to the Greeks and Romans. We probably mean something different ourselves.
Dear Andrew,
I don't know if you're being ironic, but it matters not. Welcome.
Indeed, polite may share some GK roots, but it is clearly of Latin derivation. Or so I think.
Peace.
"What is Truth?" P. Pilate
I went to a Catholic H.S.. On the outside of our school building written in stone it says "Then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free". John 8:32
Then later in the book of John, Christ tells us that He is the way the truth and the life.
So Jesus is the Truth that will set us free.
Late, feen
Feeno,
Welcome. Thanks for the comment. You are right.
The gospel is not like other religions; it is not some set of principles, or some praxis or theory or method. It is not an ethical system. The gospel is a person: the founder of Christianity did not expound on esoterica, nor did He dispense some hidden wisdom or magical formula. He presented Himself.
As you said, the messenger is the message.
So Jesus is the Truth that will set us free.
Yes, the cult of Jesus. Exactly.
SE,
And what a glorious cult it is, giving us, of all things, the foundations of your own epistemology! The very essence of Christianity is rooted in skepticism -- in the freedom to choose, and to be more than a machine. "To kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight!" To give the middle-finger to the abyss; to defy the emptiness of a cosmos believed dead and dying -- and always forsaken.
Anything else is just fate, determinism -- where there is no self. So glad you exist, SE!
Peace and mirth.
You can't spell Jesus without SE.
late, feen
Post a Comment