If there is any one thing Ayn Rand may have prophesied accurately in her works The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged, it would be what we are witnessing today with Toyota. I am not big on conspiracy theories, but I am painfully aware that this all looks rather bad -- for the Obama administration and the United Auto Workers union.
Until recently, Toyota was the number one automaker in this country. Toyota's cars are notoriously reliable; they are loved the world over for their safety, design, and quality. Consumer Reports has constantly shown them to be at the top in nearly every category, if not all categories.
How is it, then, the company ranked #1 is sitting in the dock? And how does it not freak us all out that Toyota IS in the dock when we learn that Toyota ranks 17th -- 17th! -- in recalls. Let me put this another way: There are 16 other carmakers whose cars are recalled more often than Toyota's. And yet we have an end-of-the-world scenario rolling by us in the Congress right now. Toyota is in handcuffs and leg irons, its cars have the Denver Boot, and everything's being towed away by a GM tow truck.
And let us get this straight: Yesterday a woman testified in congressional hearings that her Toyota suddenly accelerated to speeds around 100 mph, over a considerable distance and time. How can we respect anybody who does not know now to use her brakes, throw her clutch, shift into neutral or turn off the car? What world do we live in that allows this sort of evidence, that thinks driver incompetence is the fault of a car manufacturer?
Admittedly, I write in haste. I haven't all the facts. I don't know the details. But something -- I guarantee you -- is amiss. Something is askew. There is subterfuge in Washington, and Toyota is the victim. Who is the bully, and who stands to gain in the wake of Toyota's struggles?
Also, for an interesting bit of commentary and analysis, check out Kimberley Strassel's "Washington's Toyota U-Turn."
12 comments:
Hopefully you realize what's going on here. The government has a vested interest in US auto sales, hence Toyota had to be publicly shamed. Honda is next on the chopping block, mark my words. Sad, I've driven both a Honda and Toyota, and I love them far more than the Pontiac I drove briefly.
It's lousy PR for the Obama administration, but it won't hurt Toyota buyers. It might hurt sales, but you can be sure Toyota is going over their designs with a fine-tooth comb now that the all-seeing eye of Mordor is fixated upon them. I don't mind the precedent, but Toyota? Come on.
I don't think it's bad for consumers, though it is clearly a low-blow by the government. Why not kick Microsoft in the crotch for such a shoddy OS, or Apple for naming that thing the iPad? Why not sue MTV for false labelling? Why not sue the History Channel for playing speculative future scenario shows like "Life After People?" Why not sue the makers of ice cream made for dogs because they made vanilla flavor instead of what canine's really want, ass?
I'll tell you what: if Mr. Toyota is given anything more than a verbal grilling, I'll rise up in protest. This is lil Ms. Obama we're talking about, do you really think he's got the ovaries to pull off something tyrannical? Besides, I thought you right-wingers and conservatives were all about American business... I guess you're caught between your patriotism and the free market on this one.
For the record, I think it's unethical but thus far has been conducted legally.
Ginx,
Ably and amicably said. Thank you.
If you click on the link to Ms. Strassel's column, you will have some of your own thoughts confirmed.
Peace.
Ginx,
I see the link now ends up in a pay-to-read mode, but I did just access the whole article by Googling "Kimberley Strassel Toyota" and clicking the first suggestion.
BG
And apparently it's Mr. Akio Toyoda, not Toyota.
I think sometimes a company needs to be brought to justice, but it generally involves gross negligence involving in death. If you want to target that, look at health care.
Run to your local search engine, because the word of the day is iatrogenesis. It kills over 100,000 people a year. We could use health care reform in ways that have nothing to do with socialism, unless washing your hands with soap is communist.
We pay more than any country in the world for our health care, and it sucks because all we do is bicker about whether we're going down the right ideological path. The government's role is to protect, and sometimes that means "invading the rights" of domestic predators who would exploit the population.
Ginx' comments above are spot on and any person can see what's going on a mile away. It was destined to happen the moment the government assumed ownership of GM.
As for Toyota, I've had three, including the one my 18 year old drives now and will take to college. (We've always maintained one Toyota and one Ford in the Sherman livery, BTW. Both have been fine.) My 1995 Tacoma 4X4 was the best vehicle I ever owned. I predict the those of us who are not convinced by this kibuki will hit the dealerships shortly.
Certainly I intend to.
As for conspiracy theories, try this one on: The current administration is smart enough to know that shame is the worst thing which can happen to a Japanese. Thus, we manufacture a BS claim and drag the Japanese manufacturer of a very successful product to our shores to commit seppuku on C-Span, in order to sell a few more Chevys.
Cheers.
BTW, this may be your first posting, Bill, where your commentors are not at each others' throats.
Well done, old boy.
Cheers.
I think it would be a stretch to say Bill incites people. I'm just easily excited.
I thought of another trial they need to have: bring all the shoe makers in and grill them on why I haven't bought a pair of shoes in the last decade that survived more than six months, meanwhile I have beat-up shoes from the 90's I wear between replacing these shoddy modern treads that are in great shape. Were the 11 year olds working harder in the 90's or something?
RS,
I am an old boy, aren't I?
Bill where did you find the auto recall rankings?
Thanks!
This is a historic moment. I agree with both Bill and Ginx, on the same subject!
The auto recall rankings were noted during Tuesday's hearings in Congress. Hopefully I've not misunderstood something.
ANONYMOUS,
This might help.
Post a Comment