Oh, yes. The deeply offensive "anti-choice" Super Bowl TV ad. One fact is clear: there is no reason to invent absurdities. They just happen.
Check out this absurdity:
The Women's Media Center, which had objected to Focus on the Family advertising in the Super Bowl, said it was expecting a "benign" ad but not the humor. But the group's president, Jehmu Greene, said the tackle [a simulated tackle of Tim Tebow's mother] showed an undercurrent of violence against women.
"I think they're attempting to use humor as another tactic of hiding their message and fooling the American people," she said.
Fooling who? We won't get fooled again.
PS. Please, I beg you, my liberal peers. Don't stop talking.
11 comments:
Quarterbacks don't usually tackle. He should have hit her with a football.
Ginx,
After Tebow's dismal showing in the Senior Bowl, maybe his agents were behind the ad: they're hoping NFL scouts will see that he is better suited to play defense.
As someone else said, given the the outrage at the ad before it even aired, (thereby guaranteeing a wider audience, BTW), those who were outraged looked extraordinarily stupid when the ad actually appeared. Thus, we have the oodles of commentators bravely pounding the square pegs of offense into the round hole of the actual message, to wit: love your family.
Deliciously amusing.
Cheers.
(BTW, I answered your question regarding indefinite detention of combatants below.)
Tebow's mother bounced back from that hit pretty quick didn't she? I think there are a few pro football teams that might need somebody made from stock like that.
Can she throw the deep out?
I'm still wondering just how much in the hole the sponsers ( Goodrich, right?) were in, to have to settle for the "Who" for the halftime show. What, Grandpa Simpson wasn't available?
Oh did anyone catch that Betty White commercial during the Suerbowl where she was tackled too, along with Abe Vigoda?Funnnnny!
I think Sherman nailed it. A lot of people made their decision before it was even available for viewing, and some don't mind performing logical acrobatics after the fact in order to avoid changing their mind.
We atheists see this kind of thing all the time... this is "old hat" to us.
DL,
I laughed heartily at the Bette White ad!!
ALL:
What, ultimately, is the commercial saying? It's all in the final line:
MOTHER: Well, yeah, but you're not nearly as tough as I am.
Amazing: a mother is tackled by her son (ostensibly) and bounces right back. It's an obvious metaphor for motherhood and parenting. And what does she say? You've got to be tough. I am tough. Tougher than this football star.
THIS IS ANTI-WOMEN!
Incredulity cubed!
This has reached beyond absurdity. So,our okay with killing an unborn child for personal selfishness but have a problem with a harmless simulated tackle with a subtle pro-life message. How about that Betty White commercial? Violence against women and the elderly or just a fun commercial? What a bunch of hypocrites.
Teresa,
Thanks for the comment .
Also, it is a pleasure to welcome you here. I look forward to getting to know you better.
Peace and mirth.
BG
Post a Comment