I am thinking of writing at length about writer, pundit, and blogger extraordinaire Andrew Sullivan. But before I do, I was wondering what Contratimes readers thought about the man. Perhaps some of you watched the C-Span interview with him last night on Q & A. If you did see it, what do you think? I came away with something approaching confusion. How is this man a conservative? How is it that he is even considered a spokesman for conservatism?
Part of me wonders, not so much that he is some sort of charlatan, but whether he subsists solely on stereotype: he is the elegant, reasonable, open, and so-very-humble conservative much in demand these days. He is not like the many blockheads out there -- Bible-thumping and finger-wagging -- who call down brimstone on all things untoward and lynch personal privacy on the town common. His is an erudite, thoughtful conservatism; fashionable in its unfettered secularism and yet blithely tolerant of most things religious, even, I dare say, Catholic. He is gay with circumspection and restraint, but he is not politically restrained by religious precept nor is he given to radicalism. He defends gay marriage with soft-spoken ease; and he supports abortion only in the first trimester of pregnancy. In short, he is perceived as balanced; his poise makes him popular.
And he claims to be a good Catholic. I have no doubt that he is, at least in the Holy See of his own mind. He supports abortion, homosexual marriage; he believes that the Bible is fallible, errant. And yet to believe in these things he must doubt other elementary Catholic teachings as well. He must deny papal infallibility, for instance, which should be no real problem, since it is hardly an essential Catholic tenet. I can understand his jettisoning such tangential stuff, and can applaud his accepting the really important matters, like being nice to one's neighbors. What I find most curious, however, is how often people like Mr. Sullivan seem to land on the truth that the Bible and the papacy are always fallible on matters of sexuality and sexual holiness and yet are never fallible when it comes to love. After all, if the Bible and the Church are fallible, then surely we must conclude that both could be wrong about being kind, tolerant, loving, and merciful. Perhaps, for instance, we are NOT supposed to care for the poor; nor are we to be kind to our neighbors. Such teachings are mere corruptions of Christian teaching, rooted in so much ancient bias. I have never met a person who can tell me why anyone should care for the poor for purely secular reasons; and yet I do find many folks, like Mr. Sullivan, suggesting that religion has no place in politics. Mr. Sullivan abhors fundamentalism, it is clear. Yet he is apparently blind to that fundamentalism to which he holds so tenaciously: he is ignorant to the fact that everyone holds certain truths as fundamentals. Some truths, of course, are not one whit fun and are rather mental. But there is something rather fundamentally flawed in those who believe they are able to transcend religion and exist in some sort of political neutral zone, where religion does not reside. Religious faith resides everywhere. There is no escaping this fact. Any position that denies this is futile and pretentious. A man who theorizes we can fully partition the atmosphere can only exist in a vacuum: he may be a fine writer at a fashionable journal but he will be smothered should he put his theory into practice. Politics can exist independent of religious precepts about as well as nature loves a vacuum.
Well, perhaps I have already written about Mr. Sullivan; one could hardly think this post is a mere preamble, though it could be criticized, I am sure, as something of a ramble. Whether rant, ramble or preamble, I would like to know what you think, especially those of you who have a better sense of Mr. Sullivan's broad contributions to political and theological discourse.
Peace and mirth,
Bill Gnade
©Bill Gnade 2006/Contratimes - All Rights Reserved.
4 comments:
Hi Bill. Sorry to check in again so soon, but I couldn't resist this one:
"I have never met a person who can tell me why anyone should care for the poor for purely secular reasons"
Really? How sad.
The "secular" reason for caring for the poor, assuming that a sensible and humane way of doing so can be found, would be that doing so might make the world a more pleasant place. After all, it's not pleasant to witness miserable people, or to have one's safety threatened by the crime and hatred that extreme poverty so often inspires, so it stands to reason that poverty is a concern of virtually everybody, no matter what their beliefs. I can't imagine anything simpler.
In fact, it's possible that the more secular a person is, the more they will be concerned with alleviating suffering here and now, since this, according to them, is probably all we get.
In reading your blog, I can only assume that you spend a lot of time around stupid people. I suppose we all do, but I find it incomprehensible that you've posed this question to a whole bunch of folks and never been given the simple answer that I just gave you. Poverty, indeed.
Luke
Luke,
Why would helping the poor make the world a better place? How would it make it a better place? What do you mean by 'better'? Better to whom? And how will we know when the world is better?
I know an extremely poor family (I went to high school with the mother) who lived in a hideous trailer adjacent to the railroad tracks one town east of here. The town and state came in and bought the land on which they lived, and a lot nearby. The trailer was torn down, a school was erected.
But before the demolition, the town did something special: the town bought another, nicer plot of land, and built a beautiful house for the family (the town gave the house away). The town came to the squalid trailer, cleaned it out -- it was filled to the rafters with debris -- and cleaned up the yard (also a mess). But one official told me that during the clean-up a worker found an old rotting shirt -- all torn and mildewed -- pressed into the dirt in the yard. One of the children in the home saw the shirt in the dumpster -- and bitterly complained that it was being thrown away.
After the family was moved into their new home, no small celebration followed. Yet, after only two months, the town selectboard discovered upon a follow-up visit that the new home was filled to the rafters with trash, and the children were in squalor. The new home looked like the old one.
So, it must be asked, what does "a better place" even mean? Who are you to say what is "better?" Here is a family that felt at home in environs that others would find revolting. Our misery was really their comfort. Were they better off in the new house?
Just a few questions.
Gnade
"What I find most curious, however, is how often people. . . seem to land on the truth that the Bible and the papacy are always fallible on matters of sexuality and sexual holiness and yet are never fallible when it comes to love."
That's a keeper.
Hi Bill.
I share your skepticism. Remember, I said: "caring for the poor, assuming that a sensible and humane way of doing so can be found..." and continued, skeptically, with this: "MIGHT make the world a more pleasant place."
I don't pretend that I know how to help the poor, or that I even know who the poor are. I should have made it clearer that I was not stating my own view of the matter, just trying to understand the views of others.
I suspect that you've heard many ideas, both religious and secular, about how to help the poor, and that all of them have left you irritable and dissatisfied. If that's the case, well, me too. But why not just admit that, rather than claiming that you've never heard a secular reason? Maybe I've got you pegged wrong here, but I don't think so.
"Our misery was really their comfort."
That's another keeper.
Luke
Post a Comment