Friday. A blogger's nadir, the Death Valley of the week. How is it that folks stop visiting on this day of all days? Is Friday 'dress down day' at the office, when everybody takes off for an early and long lunch? Is Friday 'home office day,' where countless workers huddle around laptops -- coffee, spouse and kids nearby -- with Saturday scratching at the door and blogs tossed into the garbage bin?
THOUGHTS ON THE FLY, SEATED IN A CAFÉ
The group of elderly folks seated at the tables nearby gathers at this little café every morning of the week, except Sundays. Each is a widow or widower; each lives in this tiny New Hampshire town (population 1,200; Nov. 21). And this morning they are quieter than usual. And one fewer (population 1,199).
Pat H., the jolly old ringleader of this coffee klatsch, died on Thanksgiving Day. She just disappeared, though she was seemingly too alive to ever pass away. But she did, and though the conversation next to me is subdued, it has not stopped. Words keep us going.
Yesterday I luncheoned in this same little café with a man wracked with grief in the wake of the death of his 15-year-old daughter 8 weeks ago. She, too, simply disappeared, though her death was expected for far too long: she died of an inoperable tumor that consumed her brain. Several times during our lunch together tears flowed; I was overcome when he told me that his daughter's last breath was used to say these three words: "I love you."
Words keep us going.
SPEAKING OF WORDS
I can't possibly express my surprise at the lengthy discussion that ensued after I posted my essay, "For Fun: The Speed of Light, Existence, Faith and Atheism." I am awed, impressed, overwhelmed. And tired. I pray no readers were alienated or put off by the debate. I found it remarkably good fun.
ON BARACK OBAMA
On Wednesday, I attended a Barack Obama event in my hometown. Michelle Obama spoke; it was a fine and interesting event. I even willingly put an Obama sticker on my sweater. Why not? He and I probably disagree on everything; I've been critical here that he's been presented as a savior. But the fact remains that he is a decent fellow, a child of God, and a fellow sojourner. There is much that commends him. Above all, I love that he aims to take the high road; his hope is to help restore civility and kindness -- not just in Washington -- but in America's streets. He intends not to engage in the crass demonizing typical of politics; he promises not to engage in 'us' versus 'them', you know, the 'We're-good-and-they're-evil' game which is standard fare everywhere in America. That nasty game is America's real national pastime, if you ask me, and it's called America's Plague.
My one fear is that Mr. Obama and his wife are too good for the White House. How can they maintain the high moral ground when Mrs. William Clinton is going to throw mud at them at every turn? Can they really keep their noses clean in the scrum which is presidential campaign politics?
Really, I have no problem supporting a man who wants to be decent. Barack Obama does not hold views I disagree with because he believes those views are evil and that evil is what America needs. He merely hears the same questions I hear, and answers them a different way. He believes his answers are good, morally good. I can't help but love him, really. Besides, he and I are both 46 years old.
You'll love this, though: When I entered the Obama event, you have to understand that I knew many if not most of the people there, and they knew me. The small 'disturbance in the force' I sensed as I walked through the crowd wearing my Obama sticker was palpable. I knew that I might be ruining the self-image of more than a few: If Bill Gnade likes Obama, well, I can't possibly like him, too! All of us have felt this in our own lives. We like the team we're on, or the one we cheer for, in part because it distinguishes us from the people we know but do not like or do not want to BE like. When you and your best buddies like NASCAR's Jeff Gordon, it is easy enough; but when your worst enemy proclaims a new fealty to the same driver, things turn difficult, and you find yourself tempted to start cheering for Tony Stewart. You get the idea, and it is not far-fetched: there is an elusive psychology that frames those things in which we find our identities. Our favorite political candidates are not outside our psychological need to distinguish ourselves from others. (I wonder if this means that Mr. Obama's goals are impossible: humans cannot rally around a candidate who attracts people so very different one to another.)
But when Michelle Obama finished her speech (I applauded, by the way), a wealthy local woman, at least 10 years my senior, immediately approached me. I know her pretty well; I know she sees herself as progressive. She is what I call a Brand Name: everybody knows her as a shaker and a mover. And what were the first words this person said to me?
"Hi, Bill Gnade. What did you think?" Then, looking at my sweater, she asked, "Did you put that sticker on yourself?"
I chuckled lightly. Yes, yes I did, I calmly replied.
The incredulity was obvious. The doubt was evident: It could not be.
So much for building bridges between us and them.
I would be stopped 6 more harmless and delightful times before I got into my car and drove away.
The Obama sticker is now on my driver's side door -- you know, the left side of my car.
Peace.
©Bill Gnade 2007/Contratimes. All Rights Reserved.
14 comments:
There you go again! Challenging people's assumptions.
I find myself wanting to like Mr. Obama, but I'm wary. Being so close to Illinois and hearing the stories of what politics is like in that fair state, give me pause. Nonetheless, I agree with you that the ground rules he has set seem refreshing after the last sixteen years.
And like you, I fear he will be ultimately chewed up by the Clinton juggernaut.
Cheers.
It's Friday and I'm here, enjoying a good, thought-provoking read, Gnade-style.
What will you put on the right side door?
Did you pick up an Oprah sticker at the meeting? My spouse wants one of those for her car.
RE: Obama
Stand, and be counted, Bill :P Voting with our heads and hearts is essential - else we all end up on Roads paved with Good Intentions, only. Speaking to the reasons why you support can take the hex off it, I dare to hope. :P
Its "funny" watching America's National Past-time, as you very aptly put it, from the outside - that is, insofar as this involves real people with real issues, it's "funny/weird" to see the system respond by dividing down the middle, huddling together, and "towing the party line", rather than standing Side by Side, and Toe-ing it, if you get my meaning.
The Café
"Words keep us going" - real words, Bill - with real people, real emotion, real content, real meaning, and real effect.
For what these words might be worth:
"Long slept Zarathustra; and not only the rosy dawn passed over his head, but also the morning. At last, however, his eyes opened, and amazedly he gazed into the forest and the stillness, amazedly he gazed into himself. Then he arose quickly, like a seafarer who all at once seeth the land; and he shouted for joy: for he saw a new truth. And he spake thus to his heart:
A light hath dawned upon me: I need companions - living ones; not dead companions and corpses, which I carry with me where I will.
But I need living companions, who will follow me because they want to follow themselves - and to the place where I will.
A light hath dawned upon me. Not to the people is Zarathustra to speak, but to companions! Zarathustra shall not be the herd's herdsman and hound!"
- Thus Spake Zarathurstra, Prologue, Part 9.
Dear James,
I thank you for the comments. I think you already know that Nietzsche is one of my faves. I know that sounds crazy for a Christian to say, but it is true.
Will you be my sponsor as I convert to Canadian?
(My wife and I honeymooned in your fine country; unlike my college roommate, who chose your part of the world, my wife and I hit the Canadian Rockies. But we have talked about spending an anniversary in Cape Breton or some region near you. Personally, I'd love to go to Gros Morne. Have you been?)
Peace to you,
Gnade
Amy Kane,
I think I will put a McCain sticker on the right side of my car. What do you think? Bad idea?
Peace,
Gnade
Dear Underground Pewster,
You know, I had an opportunity to go see Oprah and Obama, but I had to bow out. I've got a sick mom to care for each night (and morning); I couldn't be cavorting with the stars knowing that I had domestic responsibilities.
But I can't think of a bigger political event that's come this way in a long time. Again, even if I disagree with every answer Mr. Obama might give to a problem, being with him and Oprah in a big arena would have been quite the rush.
I did meet Mr. Obama at the Peterborough Diner earlier this year. My first impression? Man, is that dude thin.
(John Edwards is also a wisp, by the way.)
Peace,
Gnade
Dear Randall,
There is a messianic aspect to Mr. Obama's campaign that bothers me. When his wife spoke, she used some very religious language ("we are all broken people; we all have a hole in our hearts"). That sort of rhetoric sets off my warning lights.
Perhaps I will explore my feelings further in a subsequent essay. The sad thing about this primary stuff is that Mr. Obama might hardly get known by millions of folks who will simply discount him merely because he failed (not that he will) to win Iowa and New Hampshire. If Hillary trounces him, his message will disappear in a flash. The vast majority of the country will not have really seen him.
Who knows?
Peace to you,
Gnade
Oh shucks. I wanted to be your surrogate Canadian guider. Obama is interesting and as a non-American it's odd to have an opinion of him that is not entirely different from Americans. He does seem decent and different. But I am uncertain. I definitely prefer him to that manufactured politician Clinton and the GOP does not seem to have anyone that measures up in terms of panache.
The question is is Obama enough to truly cease and desist the polarizing nature of American politics and life?
Great comment, Commentator.
Of course, I would love to have you be my Canadian guide. But your frequent access to the internet to exercise your right to free speech temporarily caused me to forget you were not imprisoned in that communist state to the north. Knowing that you've been able to break free, I would love a Commentator-led tour of your part of the world.
I am not sure Obama has ALL that it takes to bridge the chasm that courses through the American electorate. But the presidency always has been and always will be about on-the-job training. Surely he has the aptitude for the job; his head is perfectly capable. My worry is that he doesn't have the stomach for it.
As for the Mrs. Bill Clinton dynamo, well, Canada might find itself flooded with refugees from the south should she gain the seat of power in America.
Who knows?
Peace and mirth,
Bill Gnade
Are suggesting they will flee Clinton more than they did Bush? Of course, it was all talk and no action from spoiled actors for the latter.
Dear Commentator,
Yes, yes, the northern emigration did not occur as many promised if Bush took office. But I can honestly say that the first few times I went to Canada, it WAS during the height of the Clinton Administration! (Proving that I am no spoiled actor...)
Be well, dear friend,
BG
Will you be my sponsor as I convert to Canadian?
I think we'd have to get married in order for that to be efficient. In Case of Impending Irrational Drafts or other such Horror, I'll gladly extend an Open Invitation for Shelter to you and your wife. :P
... But we have talked about spending an anniversary in Cape Breton or some region near you. Personally, I'd love to go to Gros Morne. Have you been?
Indeed, I have. Gros Morne is one of the finest places I've ever felt the urge to return to, again and again. It's not writ as large as the Rockies, in terms of the scale of course - but the first time I cast my eyes to the top of the Tablelands, or traveled the length of the fjord at Western Brook Pond, it really took me aback. I was a theist, at that time.
I think you already know that Nietzsche is one of my faves.
Certainly a part of mine. Isn't it funny how young folk are raised to believe there's something inherently evil with just reading words written by Nietzsche?
Post a Comment