Friday, January 23, 2009

Maybe Bush Wasn't REALLY What Was Wrong With America

You can go anywhere in this country right now and find the same sort of statements as the ones I found in my local small-town newspaper. Below are just a few of the comments made in the wake of Barack Obama's inauguration.

From a middle-aged man who stood as witness on the National Mall:
"My wife and I agreed it was the most amazing, magnificent thing we'd ever seen in our entire lives."
Could there be a more provincial, parochial review of Tuesday's swearing-in ceremony? Is there no broader viewpoint than this tiny, self-absorbed perspective on America? Was this really the center-of-the-universe moment this man's comment suggests? What a sad world we live in if A) the 2009 inauguration was the "most amazing, magnificent thing" ever seen, and B) if this was the most important thing happening in the big, wide world.

From the same man:
"I could feel a great sense of patriotism and hope at the same time."
Stunning. Such naïveté. What the man failed to recognize is not that he was feeling patriotism. What he was experiencing was narcissism en masse. This was not a "Love my country, right or wrong" sort of patriotism. No, this was the love of self extended through millions of people enamored of their own goodness.

Here's another incomprehensible statement from a long-time local Democratic activist:
"I've got my self-respect back because of him [Barack Obama]."
I would think that confessions like this would result in the immediate LOSS of self-respect. But I am a fool. I guess.

What a pathetic day for America. That our national emptiness ascended the world stage is not only deeply troubling, it is profoundly embarrassing. Millions of Americans are so self-absorbed, and yet so empty, they celebrate that emptiness by applauding their great achievement of projecting meaning, purpose, inspiration, and hope on some guy they elected (for over $600 million). And then, because they believe they care about no one but their "neighbors," they perceive that the WHOLE WORLD IS EQUALLY FIXATED ON THEIR ASTONISHING GOODNESS.

A new age. Of hope.

Of course, hope is a perfect theme for this era, because we ARE going to need it.

Peace through dissent.

©2009/Contratimes. All rights reserved.


2 comments:

Nick said...

Dear Bill,

Good to see you posting again. I hope we can count on seeing you update Contratimes regularly. In any event, it's nice to have something new to read from you. Good luck in all your endeavors. Your thoughts and ideas are much appreciated in these troubling times.

T.C. said...

Yes, it was quite the odd spectacle. What puzzles me further is that liberal blogs still continue to talk about Bush!

Man, let it go dudes. If you believe he's the beginning and ending of all America's problems and that Obama is "inheriting" his mess, then I've got a swell piece of luxurious swamp land to swindle you with.

Obama is inheriting America in all its perfect imperfections dating back to 1776.