This morning, at 8 o'clock, I went to meet an old friend at a local café for breakfast. Instead, what do I find? 12 people in a sort of grassroots intervention: they have gathered -- Surprise!! -- to tell me they'd like it if I ran for public office. Flattering, fun, and MAYBE a little crazy. There's even a FB page! (I had nothing whatsoever to do with that page, by the way.)
Anyhow, too funny. But despite the levity of it all, I am feeling a little freaked out. The thought of running for even a humble state representative's seat in New Hampshire, clearly no big deal, nonetheless scares me.
The question, I guess, is this: If I run for office and win, will anyone respect me in the morning?
Laughingly yours,
BG.
©2010/Contratimes. All Rights Reserved.
11 comments:
All too often, we expect our politicians to lie to us in order to get us to lay with them. If you were a candidate, I expect neither to occur between you and your voters.
In other words, we will respect you as long as you don't pimp yourself.
OMG, Bills question of 'What do I do if I win"reminds me of the old 1972 movie 'The Candidate", where at the end of the movie, the candidate, McKay, having..."strayed so far from his original values that he’s in a hotel room slightly confused. The votes are counted and McKay wins. In one of the movie’s more famous scenes, McKay escapes the victory party and pulls Lucas (his manager) into a room while throngs of journalists clamor outside. McKay then asks Lucas: “Marvin ... What do we do now?” The media throng arrives to drag them out at that moment and McKay never receives an answer." (Wilki)
Be careful Bill-you don't want life imitating art!
Well, Bill, you know as well as any of us that wading into that mire can be unpleasant. 'No good deed goes unpunished.'
On the other hand, you seem to have thick skin, and your 'dialogs' with Ginx have been a warm-up for the nonsense you will unquestionably get serving in the State House.
Go for it if you feel inclined. I suspect New Hampshire could do a lot worse.
UP is right, and Uncle Rick, what are you talking about, I was thinking Geenks could be his campaign manager?
Now if we put this blog to good use, and put our thinking caps on, we can come up with a campaign slogan?
How about "I ran for Senate just so feeno could get a bumper sticker". Seriously, I want a sticker on my bumper that says Gnade 2012.
Peace be with you. feeno
I'm of the opinion that the only people worthy of public offices are those who a) don't want one and/or b) feel that they don't deserve one. Thus, you're more than qualified and I'm sure you'd do a great job.
Cheers.
Sounds like you ought to do it, Bill. There was a time when really good men ran for public office, but money has corrupted nearly all at the national level. There may still be some true public servants in NH. You ought to be one of them. And I second R. Sherman's advice. Peace.
I'm of the opinion every tyrant acts like he is accepting power unwillingly, though I think it would be quite a stretch to imagine Bill the Oppressor...
Is your blogging absence an indication that you're busy putting together a campaign committee?
Ginx,
Four funerals in the past 6 weeks: two in the last 48 hours; one this morning. And then, not 45 minutes ago, my dog was euthanized in my arms. I dug her grave earlier; I just finished burying her.
I am weepy, my friend, and weary, with a heavy heart.
(Forgive the candor.)
Peace to you, dear man.
Gnade
You're stronger than me for being able to drag yourself to the keyboard to type that out.
I hope order returns soon.
I am so sorry Bill.
What Pewster said.
Late
Post a Comment