Wednesday, April 04, 2012

The Executive Equalizer

Moments ago I wrote this comment in an online discussion forum. Someone had asserted that Barack Obama hates America and wants to destroy it. Here's my reply:

I am not sure Mr. Obama wants to destroy this nation because he hates it. I think he wants to destroy what makes America unique because he is a radical egalitarian: he believes no nation should shine brighter than any other. He is the incarnation of the Leveler. Beginning with America, he intends to level all nations, demanding they be respected as bearing equal import and voice. To him, such a world is "one."

In other words, he is the Homogenizer in Chief. Heterogeneity is anathema to him, or so it seems. Does he do this out of hate? Perhaps. But I think he would say he does it out of love -- for all the world. What he hates is the presumption that a people, state or even idea could be intrinsically better than an other. Of course, how he might reconcile this conviction with his undeniable narcissism and conceit is an altogether mind-boggling prospect. I mean, does anyone doubt that he sees himself as uniquely special -- a true representative of all that's best -- and in possession of a gnosis that shall lead us all to the Blesséd Future?

It's not that he hates America. It's that he adores himself and hopes the world will fashion itself into his idealized vision of all that is good in him. After all, he is just SO earnest.

Peace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He hates what America is and historically has represented, and wants to change it. A shorthand version of your comment. Combine that with his narcissism and one has a recipe for disastrous leadership. See, e.g. the last 3+years. I fear what he'll try to do if he loses, more than I fear another term.

Cheers.