My nephew Tom, a wonderful kid, is suffering from a hyphema, a blood clot in his eye. He was accidently and innocently struck by a buckle on a life jacket, swung in the air by a little boy while Tom was visiting a New Jersey swimming pool. His treatment leaves me claustrophobic within my own skin: He is to lie still with both eyes closed for seven days (no bandages). Today is Day 5. Personally, I don't think I could do it. But I pray for him this morning: Surely there is no way I could keep my eyes closed at the age of 12.
Which leads me to Mike the Eyeguy, Holy Week, and my own devotion. As you know, this is Holy Week, with today being Maundy Thursday. I have not been able to silence myself, to live a quiet, somber and reflective life, for these seven days. At least I am not able to do so here. So please let me direct you to the ever-elegant and insightful Ocular Fusion, a blog that understands the restraint of this season. There Mike the Eyeguy has listed the lectionary, or readings, for each of this week's holy days. If a more reflective blog is what you are looking for, I cannot recommend his posts, and his lovely essays, with more enthusiasm.
I am too intense to stop myself; I cannot abstain from posting jeremiads. In fact, I identify with that wonderful prophet, Jeremiah (perhaps too completely):
But if I say, "I will not mention him or speak any more in his name," his word is in my heart like a fire, a fire shut up in my bones. I am weary of holding it in; indeed, I cannot. (Jeremiah 20:9)
Go visit Ocular Fusion: He knows how to fix your eyes.
Peace.
BG
©Bill Gnade 2006/Contratimes - All Rights Reserved.
2 comments:
Hey Bill,
Thanks and don't sweat it--we've all got our roles to play. I for one live for your "jeremiads," so please don't stop!
Your nephew will be fine. I've treated my fair share of hyphemas in adolescents and I'm always amazed at how quickly we go from wicked nasty looking on day one to clear as a bell somewhere in the 7-10 day range. He's young and will heal quickly. We always try to scare the bejesus out of the young ones knowing hoping that if we do that maybe they'll at least refrain from cartwheels and football for a few days while the eye heals (hyphemas used to be an automatic hospitalization).
Blessings to you and prayers for your nephew through the remainder of this week and on through Resurrection Sunday.
Well, MB's words are comforting, but I still want to know: did your nephew make it the remaining two days with his eyes closed, and did the treatment work?
Post a Comment