Tuesday, August 29, 2006

One Totally Polished Dude

In the spirit of candor I offer a picture of myself for the great archives of Contratimes. I do so merely because I made a promise some time ago to share another photo other than the one which graces my profile (see far right column >>>>>>). I do not think it necessary at this point to replace my other mugshot, since that is a true image of me after a day of skiing. There is no false persona there, just a guy with sunglasses interested in concealing his baldness (and the fact that he has braces on his teeth). Here, in this new photo, I am finally unplugged, so to speak, with all apologies to you men out there who have hair plugs covering your crown and glory. Someday, hopefully soon, I will be able to show off my straightened albeit tea-stained teeth in one glorious post-orthodontic smile. And in case you are wondering, I prefer tea to coffee (though I do love coffee).

If you would like signed copies of this image, please contact my son, since he has all photo rights to the picture. I guess I could just copyright my own image, but that feels too graven and rather damnable.

Anyhow, I pray this revelation relieves you of any doubts about my image: I am not at all frightening.

Peace.

Gnade

©Bill Gnade 2006/Contratimes - All Rights Reserved.

10 comments:

Mike the Eyeguy said...

"I guess I could just copyright my own image, but that feels too graven and rather damnable."

Glad you caught that one.

Several words come to mind: sharp-eyed, serene, suave, scholarly...shiny! But certainly not scary.

A perfect dust-jacket photo if there ever was one.

Brady said...

So, there you are! Now I know who to pick up at the airport.

Anonymous said...

its like when "KISS" took off their makeup

Kim said...

You have proven yourself to resemble a very well-rounded gent. In your profile picture, you exude athleticism. In this one, you look very distinguished, indeed.

And I think anyone who subjects himself to braces in adulthood is very brave.

Bill Gnade said...

Well, you are all very kind, funny and decent. Thanks for the comments.

Blessings,

BG

Anonymous said...

   I agree with mike the eyeguy — I was reminded, nearly instantly, of those book photos. Perhaps a tad bit close, perhaps not quite the right background....but then again perhaps just right.
   Do I remember correctly that you are in fact working on a book? Or was that just a misread allusion or a misfiring neuron?

Bill Gnade said...

n[ate]vw,

The answer to your question is that I am supposed to be working on a book (or two).

The photograph I've posted here was taken as an author's mug for a magazine to which I contributed two articles. So you are right to observe, as is Mike, that the picture was made with a certain formula in mind.

Thanks for the comment!

BG

Anonymous said...

Great photo and thanks for posting. Good luck with the braces. I've had two rounds of them - once in childhood and again at 40. It's easier at 40.

LukeBuckham said...

Very handsome.

I can't wait until my own beard starts turning silver. I'm also looking forward to baldness. I'm 26 & my forehead is getting higher all the time, so I should have a good Captain Picard going by the time I'm 35-40.

This reminds me that I should post a less murky, more intimate photo on my own blog. One that looks right back at the viewer.

Is your son a frequent photographer? This is a sharp shot.

Luke

Anonymous said...

Nice picture, Bill! Your son does a very good job, too! Must be inherited!

I am thinking of having a picture taken with each of my children, just me and the kid, then me and the kid with spouse and kid... but I don't know if I have the courage. I dislike photos of myself tremendously, which is why I am thinking of doing it...so that they each have at least one with their Mom... that is terrible when one considers how old they are, isn't it? lol

We do have a few family pictures. But I am not in many.

God bless!