Thursday, November 23, 2006

Giving Thanks Happily

I am thankful for lots of things. But because this is a mere blog, perhaps I should fashion my comments towards you, my readers. In other words, I want to tell you how thankful I am for you, whether you be friend or foe. I am thankful for the many words of encouragement I have received from so many kind souls; and I am thankful for the many critics who have kept me on my toes and urged me to be a better person. And I am not talking solely about people who have visited me here; I am talking about the many folks who have allowed me to comment, often with great wind and at great length, at their respective websites and blogs. Whether I have been visiting wildly political blogs that reject many of my cherished beliefs, or I am hunkered down in a debate with atheists or even fellow theists, most of the time I find respect and good-heartedness. Yes, the ad hominem fallacy is all too easily prescribed in the blogosphere, and that will probably never change. But those folks who go beyond their first snide or sarcastic comment, those many bloggers who follow an argument and engage in what is said and avoid obsessing about who said it, usually discover that their interlocutors are tossing them precious gems, and they are tossing other precious stones back. This whole Internet thing can either become a community of brothers and sisters or a ghetto of enemies. The latter will end in paralysis and death; the former can only be a source of power and life. Not abundant life, not transcendence in some sort of digital utopia, but a place where ideas can be discussed and examined without the fear of abuse.

Anyhow, too many words spent merely to say thank you.

Blessings, all! Happy Thanksgiving!

BG

PS. I really liked my Thanksgiving-inspired essay from last year, Oscar Wilde, Seinfeld, And The Peace That Eludes. I share it with you again. Peace.

3 comments:

Brady said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you too, Bill. So happy I've gotten to "meet" you.

I read the comments at the Vigil. You took some of those insults very, very well. Thanks for the good example.

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving- weekend!

Unknown said...

It's a bit late, but, Happy Thanksgiving! I deeply appreciate "meeting" you as well.