Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Red Flag = Cowardice: You Better Watch What You Read Here

If you look at the blue navigation bar that spans across this blog, a feature provided by Blogger, you will notice that there is a little flag. The flag on your screen should be a lighter shade of blue than the navigation bar itself. Curiously, the flag on my page, since I am the owner of this blog, is no longer blue at all. It is now bright red. This red flag indicates that some reader (or readers) has found the content of this website "objectionable" and has passed his or her concerns along to Blogger. That this has happened has made me rather sad, not because I have been caught in some sort of nefarious activity, but because it indicates the sort of world in which we live: a paranoid and cowardly one. One would be hard pressed to find a person who has left a comment throughout my 365 posts (or so) who has voiced such alarm; there has been very little controversy at Contratimes, despite this blog's title. I can only wish that I had had a chance to speak to the person or persons involved. But I can't: they've scurried off on their jolly way, certain they've done all humanity a favor.

But what is alarming is what this COULD portend. I encourage you to read the warnings for yourself. You see, if enough people descend on this site and click that flag, not only will Blogger paste up a warning on the front-sheet of this site, it will cease listing it. In other words, this is about censorship. It is about attempting to silence a voice on the Internet; to silence someone using the medium which is supposed to be the most democratic engine in history. But we all know it is hardly that. While I have never once made an attempt to silence a single person on the Internet, my work is deemed objectionable, and someone hopes to silence me. I pose some sort of threat, though there is not a bit of censorship in me. Imagine.

Of course, I am probably being paranoid.

But perhaps I am being added to the List of Banned Blogs in the New Inquisition. Perhaps the delicate ears I've offended are right-wing Christian fundamentalists, for we know that no decent, liberally-minded, freedom-loving, free-thinking intellectual could EVER find offense at free speech. Yes, that is it: I am being persecuted by religious zealots. At least, that is the only apparent explanation for the New Puritanism that deigns to flag this site as offensive.

Perhaps there is a way around this. No doubt I may move to my own server and be done with Blogger and the threats of hidden visitors who haven't the courage, or the intellectual vigor, to challenge me to my very plain face. Or is it that I have intimidated them to cower in the upper left hand corner of their mouse-pad, clicking in their boots? Who knows? But please note that if this site is deemed objectionable, then you, dear reader, are treading on very dangerous ground. Besides, they might flag you next. No. They WILL flag you next.

So much for democracy. And freedom.

Peace.

©Bill Gnade 2006/Contratimes -- All Rights Reserved.

Technorati tags: , , , , ,

8 comments:

nsfl said...

Bill,

You seem quite an intelligent and pensive individual. I am sorry that someone found your site "objectionable", but I am sure that you will be cleared by the inspection process that Blogger will carry out.

I responded to your comment at Debunking Christianity. Praytell -- do you visit often? I know you are a believer.

Best,
D

Bob Keller said...

contratimes, the flag on your blog, as viewed here on my computer this bright and beautiful Thanksgiving Morning is a deep blue.... not a hint of red or pink in sight. Perhaps the storm has passed.

Censorship must never be tolerated in any of its forms. Between political correctness and the newest from of group enforced censorship, "fear of controversy" the successful effort to ban free speech and free and open discussion has never reached a higher point.

Finally, a personal "Tip o' the Wizard's Pointy Cap" for your amazingly beautiful conduct in the argument over at The Vigil. You are a gentleman.

A Happy and blessed Thanksgiving to you.

the Wizard.....

P.S. You can actually disable the entire blogger bar at the top of the page and simply omit it from your blog. The control is in the settings. You'll note I've done it in my blog. It might cost you a tiny bit of traffic, but I have done it because, frankly, I hate the way it looks.

Vigilante said...

I will back up most everything Wizard says, Bill, and thank you for raising the issue. Your blog is squeaky clean and unobjectionable.

I am almost sure that, by now, I have conveyed to Wizard my belief that effort towards censorship is the most persuasive and effective form of advertisement. Otherwise, for example, I never would have discovered Tony Judt.

Censorship is one thing. But I do think there's a time and a place for shunning. Not absolutely sure of that, but kind of sure.

Finally, Bill, I find your site absolutely full of controversies as well as delights. I wish I had more time to enjoy both.

Bob Keller said...

vigilante, Shunning is an excellent form of free speech and should be encouraged. And the OJ embarrassment is a prime example.

Don't buy a book! Don't attend a lecture! Just don't ban either.

Happy Thanksgiving to you, if you should happen to drop back by here again :)

the Wizard..... :earth:

Bill Gnade said...

Gentlemen and friends! Thanks for stopping by. Happy Thanksgiving to you all (at least those of you who celebrate that fine feast).

Daniel, I appreciate your kind words. I have only recently begun to visit Debunking Christianity (which is misnamed, I believe). I am a believer, but I don't know if that means what you think I mean when I say it (terrible sentence). But do forgive me for not getting back to your comments: I have been rather busy. I will stop by soon.

Wizard, I realized today that I could just drop the Navbar; I had forgotten such a simple defense. FYI: The flag will appear blue to everyone but me: Google recognizes me and tells me I've been flagged. So only my flag is red. But we'll see about just dropping the bar. It's not a bad idea at all.

Vigilante,

You have one of the best "blog de plumes" on the internet. You are too kind. And you are vigilant. Keep sharp your watchful eyes!

Is there a blogger out there writing as "The Shunner"? Might be a good moniker for someone. Lord knows I can't wear that badge, since I am the sort of kid who brings every crazy creature home. I can't shun a thing, except, perhaps, good sense.

R. Sherman, you are good friend. Keep up the great fight.

Blessings to you all!

BG

LukeBuckham said...

Bill--

This sort of thing actually incites me to anger, the sort of anger that makes me fear myself.

Just now, I moved my cursor to the 'flag' on your blog, and a message popped up that said "you have flagged this blog as objectionable" which is strange, since I had not clicked, and since I never would have. I'm not sure exactly how this process works.

But I'm pretty sure that I had a red flag on my blog at some point, but didn't notice it at the time--when I visited my own site just now, there were no warning labels, but I thought that I had seen one there before. Maybe I'm being paranoid. But if someone has flagged your site, I can imagine that, if I ever get as many visitors as you do, I'll be next in line.

In fact, I'm going to write my own outraged article on the subject, and post it later this weekend. Let's see what happens then. Obviously the creeps who run this blogosphere need to be taunted, made fun of, and mocked.

good luck

LB

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your flagging. May I suggest wordpress.org as an alternative for blogging. There's no censorship and you'll find more creative freedom and a very supportive community.

LukeBuckham said...

I have now posted the promised article, 'BIG BLOGGER IS WATCHING YOU' on my site. It's pretty short and to the point, and I think you'll enjoy it.