Saturday, February 10, 2007

And Now The Presentation

"We shall issue in a new birth of freedom on this earth."

Thus concluded Barack Hussein Obama moments ago in his much-anticipated announcement. Talk about audacity!

"We are one people." Indeed.

Consider this a strange observation: Mr. Obama was presented to the temple of his American audience with the music of U2 laving the podium. If there was ever a band that yearns for a messiah, and surely struggles with a messianic impulse itself, it is U2.

Here is Howard Fineman (right now on MSNBC), editor of Newsweek, on Mr. Barack's announcement:

"This is an amazing story. It can't be repeated enough. ... At this point in our history ... this [isn't about just bringing America together], it is about bringing the world together."

And in light of Mr. Obama's multiculturalism, MSNBC's Chris Matthews said,

"To the world this must say, 'America is bigger than we thought.'"

I would point out that Mr. Obama's speech was very similar to an altar call at a Billy Graham tent-meeting: He called his followers to come forward, to follow their destiny, to come together as one people. And that he was hailed into the temple by people holding up his book -- The Audacity of Hope -- a book that looks a lot like a Pope's own volume, is a curiosity one cannot ignore.

He is indeed the savior the Democrats particularly have been praying about: At last, U2 has finally found what they are looking for.

Wow.

©Bill Gnade 2007/Contratimes. All Rights Reserved.

6 comments:

Even So... said...

I think you see what I am seeing...wonder whom else might be?

..........(hmmmm.....)......

Sorry, I don't want to be cryptic or whatever, it is just that all Obama does is give me the creeps...

Brady said...

No MSNBC at my house, but the Swiss and French TV and Radio covered the launch. They have also Had a lot to say about H. Clinton.

But I don't think people here are ready for any kind of world unity. Though I think some kind of "reconciliation" will be welcomed by many Europeans. Especially with the Kennedy-like press Obama is receiving here.

Bill Gnade said...

Even So,

Irrespective of what Barack Obama might be, the fanfare with which he is introduced and received is quite religious: there is fervor about it all, not mere enthusiasm.

I find it a bit disturbing. The cult of personality comes to mind.

Peace.

BG

Bill Gnade said...

Brady,

Perhaps you can keep us posted as to how Europe is interpreting and reporting events in the States, particularly all things presidential.

As for the "reconciliation" bit, I think Europe would be much more conciliatory with Bush if Europe was not on the very front lines where religion and culture are clashing. I mean to say that if the War on Terror was not being waged -- and if radical Islam was not its main target -- Europe and Bush would be getting along famously. But because any identification with Bush on the war jeopardizes European relations with continental Islam, Europe has had to distance itself from Bush. Otherwise, the great brunt of violence would be felt in Europe first and foremost. Part of me even thinks that the appearance of enmity between much of Europe and the US is more show than substance. I honestly cannot imagine that there are many Western Europeans (or Eastern ones), that honestly believe that they can coexist with Islam (at least those masses that refuse to even assimilate).

But I know nothing. I just have hunches.

Blessings!

Gnade

Even So... said...

Yes it is rather "spiritual" the way he is being touted. In what I see as being in accordance with what Brady said, my "guess" is that it is leading the way to something, not that he himself is that something...the ground is being plowed for a more evil seed...regardless of whether Obama even knows it...if not him, then someone else would be this same instrument...

Anonymous said...

Hi Bill.

My blog (Politics & Culture) has moved to http://policulture.wordpress.com

Could you update your link? Thanks, and keep up the good work!