To me the image captures nicely the notion of "Contra" and gives a sense that the zeitgeist, rather than being stationary, is dynamic; maybe illusive; possibly illusion. I like it.
My only misgiving about your masthead might be completely subjective: with my ancient eyesight I lose your tagline in those places where the contrast between image and text diminishes. But, then, for my old eyeballs, there's nothing quite as soothing as black 100 point arial on a white background.
The page used to say "Contratimes / Confronting the zeitgeist one day at a time" in big bold text. Now that text has been replaced by an image, and just about the only time computers bother to read images on the web is when they are trying to get spam past those squiggly letters we type in.
Images on the web do have a property called an "alt" attribute, which provides a text alternative to the image. Right now, the alt attribute on your header image just says "Contratimes", so computers like Google's search robot don't know how confrontational you are! :-)
While this might actually help you appear in countries where "Do No Evil" Google has made results for that noun return "Things the Good Leader Does Not Approve", for the most part information has been lost.
Even if programs that read websites for the blind get what they call "Optical [image] Character Recognition", the image might resemble a CAPTCHA a bit more than you intended!
10 comments:
Cool.
From the direction of the spin, I'm trying to figure out, with my challenged mind, which hemisphere you were in at the time of the picture.
Keep experimenting.
Interesting...
Please do keep experimenting. Also, keep in mind that your tagline is no longer visible to the blind, which includes search engines.
Well, Brady, I would take you comment to mean that the new masthead is not to your liking, which is fine.
As for which hemisphere I was in, well, I was in the right one.
Peace to you!
Gnade
And Nate doesn't like it either! Hmm.
Well, as I said, we'll see.
Gnade
Nate,
I am confused. My tagline is not visible to the blind? I don't know what you mean. I am thick, I know.
Gnade
This is your brain, oops I mean camera on an out of balance turntable or a wobbling planet Earth.
Bill,
To me the image captures nicely the notion of "Contra" and gives a sense that the zeitgeist, rather than being stationary, is dynamic; maybe illusive; possibly illusion. I like it.
My only misgiving about your masthead might be completely subjective: with my ancient eyesight I lose your tagline in those places where the contrast between image and text diminishes. But, then, for my old eyeballs, there's nothing quite as soothing as black 100 point arial on a white background.
The page used to say "Contratimes / Confronting the zeitgeist one day at a time" in big bold text. Now that text has been replaced by an image, and just about the only time computers bother to read images on the web is when they are trying to get spam past those squiggly letters we type in.
Images on the web do have a property called an "alt" attribute, which provides a text alternative to the image. Right now, the alt attribute on your header image just says "Contratimes", so computers like Google's search robot don't know how confrontational you are! :-)
While this might actually help you appear in countries where "Do No Evil" Google has made results for that noun return "Things the Good Leader Does Not Approve", for the most part information has been lost.
Even if programs that read websites for the blind get what they call "Optical [image] Character Recognition", the image might resemble a CAPTCHA a bit more than you intended!
Post a Comment