Sunday, October 11, 2009

Homecoming

It was homecoming at my alma mater
And I stood at the Welcome Tent
A prodigal son, penniless, spent
A wandering squanderer
There was no mother, father
No friend running toward me
To slay the fattened calf
There was no welcome
At all
Just a tent
And a map to the familiar

I went unrecognized as I wondered
If 25 years were too many
For me to recognize my own memories
Or the dreams dreamt along the
Night-lined fringes of the Quad:
A rucksack of philosophy texts
Pulling one shoulder toward arthritis
A young philosopher
Unaware his path would be littered
With pages ripped from a hundred prayer books
Each dabbed in tears

I stood in the provost’s office
And listened to professional philosophers
Steeped in the tradition of profundity
Practiced in the argot of academia
The adoration of abstraction
And a lightning stroke of profanities
Coursed through this common mind
When the department chair spoke in
Tongues without fire
And repentance blasted through me
Like a cold-front on a barren plain:
“What the hell is he saying?”
Asked the crushing hailstones
And I sought cover beneath
Quiet incredulity and the promise
I’d never sound like that (again)

I spoke in haste, compressing 2.5 decades
Into a handshake, a canape
A splash of red wine
And when he assessed
The soundness of my
Abridged ontology
I saw a priest reach
Down and take bread from
The tip of my tongue

None could know I left the
Premises as presented
Or that I concluded that
(All things remaining equal)
Nothing remains equal
Not even between brothers
A simple syllogism
Crafted without fallacy
Carved on the oracle’s breast:
There is no home.


Without a father.



©2009/Contratimes. All rights reserved.

3 comments:

Undergroundpewster said...

Thanks for this post.

Bill Gnade said...

My friend,

You are welcome.

BG

woodenacorn said...

Thanks for the post. All earthly homecomings are as nothing compared to the heavenly homecoming with The Father.