In Part 1 of this series, which I did not intend to be serial at all, I announced that I would no longer offer political commentary here at Contratimes. I admitted that politics was not the intent of this blog; that I had gotten off track. It would have been perhaps incisive of me to admit I was a victim of the Zeitgeist I meant to confront: that the spirit of the age divides us unnecessarily along all sorts of lines -- political, ideological, philosophical and religious -- and I was so divided. But currently, or so it seems, the Zeitgeist splits us largely along political lines. And I am tired of those splits.
It would be as silly to overlook the argument that all things are political as it would be to make such an argument. Surely some will see here, even in this sentence, evidence of a political scam, some agenda driven by a push for political dominance. But I have nothing to give those who harbor such suspicions. All I can say is we are known by our fruits.
In the end, there is no reason for me to offer here what can be found elsewhere. There are better writers, thinkers, pundits. The internet is rife with such. There is no need to add to the list of choices -- or to the din of ceaseless chatter. Is it any different to offer a blog more distinctly Christian? Who knows.
Not everything is wrong that one does, and surely not everything done is right. I am sorry for what I've done wrong here. I feel bad for those I may have offended. But such contrition does not mean I believe I could have done anything else, or that I could have avoided offending everybody. Such is life. Even the Perfect has enemies. Even Love is hated. I tried to stay above the fray and found that I was beneath it. I tried to elevate the discussion and found that I was debased. I tried to bring Reason to the forefront and found in that effort something akin to spiritual resignation: "This, too, is vanity." I tried to be more than I am, and became less in the process. For what I had hoped would edify did not.
Peace to you.
4 comments:
'I am sorry for what I've done wrong here. I feel bad for those I may have offended.'
If no offense is offered, none should be taken. Why should you feel badly? You cannot take responsibility (blame or credit) for the deeds of others -- or for their attitudes. What you do here -- or so it seems to me -- is to offer your thoughts and reflections on current events and life in general. At times I may disagree with your opinion, but, as you intend no offense, I take none. In fact, since you offer your opinions with a healthy dose of humility (don't let that go to your head), it's easy for me to read them with interest, giving them honest consideration. This gives me occasion to reflect on my own opinions, testing them again for validity.
Shaw said, 'If I have one apple and you have one apple, and we exchange apples, we each still have only one apple. But if I have an idea and you have and idea and we exchange ideas, then we both now have two ideas.' (Or something like that.)
Of course, if your idea is more valuable than mine (however THAT is measured, then I have profited more than you. Etc.
Dear Uncle Rick,
I thank you for the thoughtful comments.
When I think of this comment, I feel sad. That reader's reaction led to a series of very angry emails, and a friendship was doomed. Clearly, though not all at once and surely not always obviously, readers have found offense here. I know that such can't be helped. It's just the way things are.
I do not take blame or credit, or so I hope I don't, for others' reactions to me. Let me restate that. I don't always take blame or credit, because sometimes, since I am rather imperfect (surprise!), I am in fact blameworthy. But I did say that
"[...] such contrition does not mean I believe I could have done anything else, or that I could have avoided offending everybody."
I am really just sorry, that's all, or more aptly sad. I may even be depressed.
I have to realize that no matter how good I am, or how well I might do something, I am not guaranteed peace, bliss, or friends. The other day I was watching an interview of NASCAR driver Jeff Gordon; he admitted he had made enemies. His admission startled me. I imagined for a moment that he was a thoroughly decent guy to his peers -- supportive, encouraging, friendly, generous. And then I realized that even Christ was hated. Not that Jeff Gordon is Christ, and I surely am not either. But what I learned in my reflection is that nothing I can do can secure friendship or approval: even if I was perfect, all-wise and in all things gracious, I can't make everybody -- or even anybody -- happy. In fact, I might piss off people all the more.
I hope that makes some sense.
Peace.
Hi, Bill.
I'm back from a long couple of days, so forgive me if my mind is still clouded with "ulnar nerve neuropathy."
I, too, find your apologies unnecessary. As you know, I've delved into the political at my place on occasion. Like you, I never intended to do so, but I've found myself sickened by the reasoning deployed in support of certain current, unproven or disproven, assumptions or "givens."
I think there are times when we are called to stand up to such things. I want to be tested by contrary opinions. I want to have my reasoning examined.
And the fact remains the line between those things which are "political" and those which are "Christian" is becoming ever more dim with each passing day.
I can say, the reason for the the state of affairs asserted in the prior paragraph is that the secular forces seek to impose their mindset and will upon the Christian. I believe that to be the case for any number of reasons, many of which I'm sure you'd guess.
Of course, those with a different mindset would see the opposite, i.e. a secret desire on my part to impose a Christian theocracy upon our fellow citizens.
Reason and logic are under attack everywhere in our brave new world. In our post-post modern society everything goes. There are no absolutes. The Zeitgeist is one of endless personal fulfillment with no responsibility; it is a society of infants, alimentary canals and genitals with no responsibility at any end of same. It is a Zeitgeist of self-centered, selfish, narcissistic insistence on having what one wants, when one wants it, and everyone else be damned.
Somebody's gotta say something.
You did.
Stop being ashamed for it.
This is and has always been a safe place. You've nothing to apologize for.
Snap out of it and be yourself.
Cheers, my brother.
BTW, speaking of indelicate comment exchanges I regret, this is my "mea culpa" contribution.
Cheers.
Post a Comment