This blog begins with a bold claim. Confronting the Zeitgeist "one day at a time" seems at first glance a noble goal, but it has proven an elusive one. The boldness lies not in the confronting but in the definition: my work assumes I know the Zeitgeist. Of course that is not all it assumes. But it does assume I have a working definition of the spirit of the age.
But do I? I am unsure.
If there is a spirit of this age, what is it? Perhaps we ought to change metaphors: If there is a fragrance to this age, what does it smell like? If there is a voice of the age, what is it saying? If there is a flavor of the age, have you tasted it -- and is it good?
I don't think I can tacitly flatter myself anymore. I cannot divine the spirit of the age, at least I can't right now. I ask readers for help; I ask a neighbor to give me his coat. Perhaps one of you will even give me your shirt as well.
Peace.
3 comments:
My friend and fellow blogger John B. from Wichita once commented that "our social DNA has changed," and I think that's true. I suppose, if I were to take a stab at it, I'd say that spirit/stink of this age is one which glorifies the infantile or childish concept of freedom without any notion of personal responsibility. It seems we wish to enjoy the fruits of our passions while believing the mess of unintended but easily foreseeable consequences should be cleaned up by others.
And they better be quick about it so that I can get back to pursuing my personal liberty.
How's that for a start?
Cheers, my friend.
That's quite the start, RS.
When I tend my garden, carefully mulching, watering, and watching for weeds, bugs, and disease, it's very lovely. If I let things slide, I can pretend for a while that I like my "natural" garden, but before I know it, the weeds have overtaken my careful plantings, the hidden fruit lies rotted on the ground, and bindweed tightens around the stems of upright plants, choking off the life. It takes a few weeks in my garden, but our culture has been on this course for decades. I am no historian, but a lot of the fruit that we see now began with WWII. RS- yeah.
Post a Comment