Wednesday, August 24, 2011

A Moment Noticed

Personally, I find it all rather astonishing. Need I say more?

5 comments:

Undergroundpewster said...

I hope you and your kayak have not been affected by the flooding in the N.E.

If you have, don't you dare try out any class VI rapids that have popped up nearby.

Undergroundpewster said...

I don't know about the IP abuser you have listed in the header to the comment box. Did you report it to Blogger?

Bill Gnade said...

Dear TUP,

As you know, I frequently kayak from my house to the nearby pond so I can fly-fish for bass. (I caught a 6-pound largemouth a few weeks back, which is pretty good for these here parts.)

The other night my neighbor drowned in our brook; he was found hanging upside down in his swift-water kayak, and this nearly a week before Irene became news. He was an expert kayaker, 48 years old, and a good man. He went out on a moonlit night, like I often do, and he never came back.

And our brook is flat in every way.

Today, I wear the Hawaiian shirt I bought to wear to his funeral; Hawaiian shirts were requisite attire for the celebration of his life. He was a California boy, a surfer and a kayaker, and he will be missed.

Now there is flooding in VT, not far from here. My nephew's home was hit; his fared far better than many others, but he was still hit quite hard. I was there yesterday.

It's been a tough year, no doubt, and part of me wonders if this is simply the pattern of life one must accept at my age. I do not know.

Faith and grace.

Undergroundpewster said...

Thanks for the update. We do tend to go to more funerals as we mature. That last one sounds like a memorable memorial for sure.

Anonymous said...

I was/am with UP. You're one of my "Official New England Yankee Friends" and I was thinking about you during Irene. I'm glad you and yours are well.

BTW, pop over to my place for an interesting conversation.

Cheers.