‘Let us stipulate that George Bush is a mediocrity, that he’s not particularly bright,’ said Mr. O’Rourke (and I paraphrase). ‘OK, fine. But to say that a mediocrity is unfit for the Oval Office is essentially antidemocratic, going against the very ideals of the American Dream. For if Mr. Bush is unfit for office because he isn’t brilliant, then the alternative is that only smart people can hold that office. If that’s the case, we’ve become a meritocracy, even an aristocracy of the mind.’
I would like readers for a moment to simply insert any name into Mr. O'Rourke's unarguably astute observation. Just add Barack Obama's name, or Joe Biden's. But maybe you should put Sarah Palin's name in the whole of O'Rourke's equation -- in bold letters.
Let us indeed concede, at least for the sake of argument, that Sarah Palin is the most mediocre person in the world, at least the Republican world. Considered it so conceded.
But are we not at worst conceited if we insist that a mediocre person -- and surely none of us here is one whit tepid, bland, or insipid -- is unfit for the vice presidency of the United States?
I recall arguing with a liberal Democrat friend during the 2000 election cycle. He had worked himself into quite a fury; I swear there were flecks of foam gathered in the corners of his mouth. You see, he could not comprehend that anyone could consider George W. Bush a viable candidate; my friend denounced the man as an idiot, a dolt, a veritable ingrate.
As you should all know by now, I've never been a big fan of Mr. Bush's. And I can assure you that in 2000, the man was nowhere to be found on my political radar screen. But I was at the very least somewhat taken aback that my friend would call George W. Bush stupid and incompetent. To counter this, I recall making this foolish statement:
"I don't quite know how you can call him 'stupid.' That man can't be all that stupid who earn degrees from two Ivy League schools (Yale and Harvard's Business School)."
I cannot tell you how counter-effective my statement instantly became. My friend became even more irate, denouncing me as stupid for not realizing that Bush was a "mere legacy" child of Yale and Harvard, that he was an "affirmative action" placement for the stupid but obscenely rich.
It struck me as odd how quickly my liberal friend had turned against such an esteemed credential as an Ivy League diploma; I noted a paradox. For only years earlier, America had been told that the "men of the people," the good old southern boy Bill Clinton and his sidekick Al Gore, were proud holders of Ivy League degrees (Clinton, a Georgetown undergrad, earned his JD at Yale). These added to their bona fides; they could not possibly be typical dopes. But amazingly, George W. Bush in 2000 was dismissed for being nothing but a privileged white kid whose daddy bribed Yale to serve as his son's reform school.
And then, of course, 2008 came along and we find ourselves constantly reminded that Barack Obama is qualified to be president because he holds degrees from two Ivy League schools.
(Did you know that George W. Bush actually performed better at Yale than his contemporary, Sen. John Kerry? You probably didn't, but, oh, how we heard about that C-student in the White House!)
Now comes Sarah Palin. Note that the Democrats, the leftist media, and even some of her own Republican colleagues have turned the American Dream upside down: Not everyone can be what they want to become, Sarah, and you should just cease aspiring to America's highest echelons. As I wrote in 2004 in my letter, such language does destroy the American Dream:
[Mr.] O’Rourke’s comments are quasi-revolutionary. For he affirms nearly every high school and university commencement address given over the last 30 years (‘Believe in yourself and you can be anything’), and yet subverts the popular paradigm. To oppose Bush or any president on grounds of intellectual inferiority is tantamount to declaring that some people - the mediocre - should not be allowed to fulfill their dreams. Only the brilliant should be in high places.
In other words, a democracy such as ours is only open up to a certain point. There are some places the mediocre cannot go, at least when it comes to participating in the governance of what is, or so it is said in theory, a nation governed by its own people.
I've already spotted, like you have, extremely damning commentary about Sarah Palin's lack of academic credentials. Writers have mocked her for attending the obscure North Idaho College and less-obscure University of Idaho. Curiously, nary a word is said about Joe Biden's self-described profoundly mediocre academic ventures at both Delaware and Syracuse (and we all know that neither school can ever pretend to be Ivy League). Sen. Biden's Wikipedia is rather telling (if true):
Biden attended the Archmere Academy in Claymont, where he was athletically, not academically, oriented and a natural leader among the students. He graduated in 1961.____________________
Biden attended the University of Delaware in Newark, Delaware, where by his own later description he was a lazy student. He graduated with a Bachelor of Arts with a double major in history and political science in 1965, ranked 506th of 688 in his class.
He went on to receive his JD from Syracuse University College of Law in 1968, where by his own description he again underperformed and ranked 76th of 85 students.
Thursday night is the "big debate" between Gov. Palin and Sen. Biden. It is a one-shot deal for both of them. Here's hoping they both do well. But we can expect a billion words printed, published and voiced about "mediocrity" in the coming days. In anticipation of those words, I would like to conclude here the same way I concluded my letter in 2004 (with slight modifications):
One must consider carefully: We’ve all known smooth talkers who chat themselves into great jobs, only to drive co-workers and employers batty. Often the less stellar interviewee for a job turns out to be a winner. No doubt Bush has milked the diamond-in-the-rough image effectively, while oleaginous Kerry has become all-things-to-all-men so completely, he is nearly no one. All to say that – and please forgive the doggerel – a master of oration may be a disaster for a nation.©2008. All Rights Reserved.
If we are truly committed to diversity and tolerance, if we are to dance about celebrating our grand differences, then ousting [or rejecting] a president [or candidate] because he [or she] is intellectually mediocre is philosophically repugnant.
6 comments:
The title implies, by the transitive property, that Mediocrity equals Democracy.
Its ok to be mediocre. A Democracy should accomodate all. But its all about a division of labor. Should mediocrity occupy the highest offices in the land? I think we are fools if we let it and even more foolhardy when we make excuses for it. Mediocrity is dangerous. Do we allow mediocrity to operate on us? Build our bridges, babysit our children? How does it work at the lower levels of government service, like say the DMV?
Since We The People are the hiring managers in a sense, and candidates for office are applying for a job to represent us, I see no reason why we should not expect excellence. In fact, I guarantee that the American people would choose excellence over mediocrity every time, if given that choice.
Which brings me to my point. Democracy is not about mediocrity, its about choice. When our choices are limited to mediocrity, well then mediocre is what we get. But we should never stop looking for excellence.
I'm mediocre in a great many things, none of which I make my living at. The Peter Principle lives within me! I cannot reasonably expect to be well compensated for mediocre or incompetent performance, although the leadership of Fannie, Freddie and a host of other very visible business failures would all indicate otherwise. But reasonable people identify this rewarding of failure or incompetence as an outrage. We are also outraged when a baseball player bats .250, a mediocre performance, and makes $5 mil per year.
CW
Dear Chris the Mathematician and Grammarian!
Transitive property, indeed.
I posted this article earlier at NH Insider under a slightly different title. (I had already posted the piece here.) Having thought about it for a minute, I have decided to change this essay's title to more accurately reflect my intention.
In doing such extensive titular renovation, I recognize I've damaged your damnable transitive property.
But you were right.
___________________
Thanks for the great comment. It is very fair and thoughtful.
Remember, I did stick, OK, I BURIED, something of a qualification in my essay. Here it is:
There are some places the mediocre cannot go, at least when it comes to participating in the governance of what is, or so it is said in theory, a nation governed by its own people.
You see, I readily admit that the mediocre doctor and the mediocre technician are largely undesirable. But these are the players in a free market: competition discounts a lot of candidates in markets.
But DEMOCRACY literally means "the people rule." That does not mean "some" people, or just the "best" people. It simply means "the people." Yes, there remains a competitive dimension to political contests, but I think what we are seeing is a general rebuke: only the brightest may apply. Rather than simply allowing people to compete, people like the allegedly mediocre Sarah Palin, and letting them prove their worth and abilities (or not), her critics (particularly) are begging her not even to show up. Yes, we can call this the trash-talk phase prior to the big game, but it is deeply uncivil. In fact, it is so profoundly uncivil that even many if not all of the very best among us refuse to stand where Sarah Palin or Joe Biden will stand tomorrow night.
Again, I am not suggesting that mediocrity is intrinsically desirable. I am saying that we have to be careful we don't use standards of excellence -- and mediocrity -- as weapons against those who might desire to give their time and abilities in the public square.
Plus, I am also trying to hit two other things: The veiled admission that we are NOT all equal -- which is anathema to all true liberals -- and that tolerance of diverse abilities is really quite limited, at least among those who vociferously boast of their many kindnesses.
Peace.
BG
Bill,
The title is better I admit, but I think it is quite appropriate to denigrate mediocrity, which strictly speaking, deals with the performance of one's duties, rather than denigrate the person. I agree, this lacks civility. I don't believe this denigrates Democracy in any way. If you are mediocre at politics perhaps you are great at growing corn. That division of labor is the essence of a successful Democracy. We all do what we're good at.
But I was particularly drawn to this last paragraph where you said:
"If we are truly committed to diversity and tolerance, if we are to dance about celebrating our grand differences, then ousting [or rejecting] a president [or candidate] because he [or she] is intellectually mediocre is philosophically repugnant."
I can't help but imagine this to be a joke or a rhetorical backhand to the people who stomp around and demand tolerance (the Democrats). Maybe I'm thick. Scratch that, I AM thick. Were you being ironic or sarcastic?
If not, I'd like to explore why you find the rejection of an intellectually deficient candidate philosophically repugnant.
Peace,
Chris
My friend Chris,
You know, I swear that when I try to be ironic the irony is always on me: I don't see that I can't do irony -- and yet I think I can.
As I do the requisite exegesis of my own abstruse text, my sense is that the conditional IF (in the passage you cite) is meant to signal to readers that I am about to create something that might not be particularly straightforward. I emphasize "might."
But no, really; I was trying to cutely, and even too cutely, slam both egalitarianism AND tolerance (as political virtue). Ironic? Well, I sure hope so. But I find two things about writing, I mean about MY writing. One, it is not easy being effectively ironic: I have decisively proven that here. Two, it is really, really hard to be funny.
So, I think it can be said that I have not ironed this all out one bit. Perhaps this explains why my wife insists on dressing me in wrinkle-free clothes and yet I try to starch them anyway. Well, maybe the inverse of that.
(OK. I am in a silly mood. Forgive me.)
But can you at least give me some plaudits, no matter how insincere, for this: "A master of oration may be a disaster for our nation."
And to think I penned those words 4 years prior to Barack Obama's ascendancy! Such augury!
Peace and mirth,
BG
There are those who, while preaching "democracy," understand it not. For them, democracy is not about people making decisions but people making the "right decisions. It is only the latter group who should be allowed to participate in the democratic process.
In other words, their vision of democracy is more akin to Plato's Republic, wherein a set of benevolent worthies determines the course of the state.
The sad thing is, too many of us are willing to defer to these self-appointed worthies and too willing to allow them to lead us down whatever path the worthies desire.
Cheers.
Bill,
So I am thick! Phew! I just knew it wasn't you.
My compliments to you on that prophetic word play. I think Obama will win and I fear it will be a disaster for our nation. I hope and pray not.
Peace,
Chris
Post a Comment