Dear Sen. Obama,
I hope you are doing well today. I've heard reports that you are feeling particularly chipper.º
When you promised to accept federal public financing for your campaign, how is it that you so swiftly broke that pledge? Was it because $610,000,000 looked too good to pass up? Did you feel that the new direction America needed, the change we have been waiting for, is for someone to finally and literally buy the White House?
And when you describe yourself as inspired by a friend, one to whom you've given your loyalty, how is it that you can renounce him in his weakness, even though he was your pastor for 20 years?
And why is it that whenever someone attempts to hold you accountable for what you've clearly said and done, and NOT done, over the years, how come your constant rejoinder, offered reflexively, is that such things "are a distraction"? When, dear Senator, will such things ever get the attention they deserve?
Surely you did not mean it when you said recently that John McCain and Sarah Palin wanted to make "a virtue of selfishness." Tell me, please, that you understand -- you have been described as brilliant -- the difference between selfishness and greed; between healthy self-interest and venomous avarice and envy. Tell me, please, that you understand that selflessness is NEVER A MATTER OF LAW, of being FORCED to "give" charitably under threat of punishment. Please, I beg you, where's the hope in that? And how is it "patriotic" (your campaign's word) to pay higher taxes when taxes are a matter of law? Are you suggesting patriotism is also to be forced upon a people? What next?
Please, I am asking you to tell me that you are not blind to the fact that you are a millionaire; that even if you lose tomorrow, you will be fabulously wealthy, able to command obscene speaking and appearance fees all over the world. Tell me you've no selfish intent here; tell me that you did not keep your money from your own half brother and allegedly beloved aunt, both living in poverty, because you were waiting to have LAWS and TAX CODES break you free of your own stunning selfishness. Tell me that you see the difference between freedom and chains. I beg you, tell me that you are not so cynical that you think Americans don't see and hear that you think them dumb, avaricious and unpatriotic. (And you should tell me how it is you did not know your beloved aunt was in this country illegally. One wonders how she even got here then, if you have no idea.)
Surely you can see why I don't believe you mean what you say?
Here's the bottom line, Senator. I hear what you are saying, and you do mean it, but only insofar as you are counting on the envy of your followers: You are hoping they will not think too much; that they will only react to what is presented as "unfair" and "unjust," and hence you will have hooked them in to giving you their money and their votes. You derive power from the envy that clings to your promises. You foster an "us against them" mentality, the "selfless" against the "selfish." The good against the bad.
Amazingly, it seems maybe just less than half the country recognizes that your words do not have much selflessness in them. You preach selflesslessness for personal gain.
My feeling, Senator, is that you should go take care of your own,† freely and without threat of censure, seizure or penalty, and then come back to us with the news of this great new selflessness, the true patriotism and new direction, you and Sen. Biden describe so eloquently. In mere words.
Peace, and good luck.
ºSince first posting this letter, I have been informed that your grandmother died today. I apologize for the seemingly insensitive remark, but I did hear reports that you were feeling quite elated and confident. I am sorry that your mood has probably changed in light of your family's loss.
†But who am I? I fail at this miserably. But my failure is in freedom; I strain to love not by compulsion or threat of a nation's watchful eye. My hope is that love arises freely of its own in my will, my heart, my very soul. Love cannot be forced. It is never statutory. Love is freedom, and it is fed by freedom's patience and grace.
©2008. All Rights Reserved.
I hope you are doing well today. I've heard reports that you are feeling particularly chipper.º
When you promised to accept federal public financing for your campaign, how is it that you so swiftly broke that pledge? Was it because $610,000,000 looked too good to pass up? Did you feel that the new direction America needed, the change we have been waiting for, is for someone to finally and literally buy the White House?
And when you describe yourself as inspired by a friend, one to whom you've given your loyalty, how is it that you can renounce him in his weakness, even though he was your pastor for 20 years?
And why is it that whenever someone attempts to hold you accountable for what you've clearly said and done, and NOT done, over the years, how come your constant rejoinder, offered reflexively, is that such things "are a distraction"? When, dear Senator, will such things ever get the attention they deserve?
Surely you did not mean it when you said recently that John McCain and Sarah Palin wanted to make "a virtue of selfishness." Tell me, please, that you understand -- you have been described as brilliant -- the difference between selfishness and greed; between healthy self-interest and venomous avarice and envy. Tell me, please, that you understand that selflessness is NEVER A MATTER OF LAW, of being FORCED to "give" charitably under threat of punishment. Please, I beg you, where's the hope in that? And how is it "patriotic" (your campaign's word) to pay higher taxes when taxes are a matter of law? Are you suggesting patriotism is also to be forced upon a people? What next?
Please, I am asking you to tell me that you are not blind to the fact that you are a millionaire; that even if you lose tomorrow, you will be fabulously wealthy, able to command obscene speaking and appearance fees all over the world. Tell me you've no selfish intent here; tell me that you did not keep your money from your own half brother and allegedly beloved aunt, both living in poverty, because you were waiting to have LAWS and TAX CODES break you free of your own stunning selfishness. Tell me that you see the difference between freedom and chains. I beg you, tell me that you are not so cynical that you think Americans don't see and hear that you think them dumb, avaricious and unpatriotic. (And you should tell me how it is you did not know your beloved aunt was in this country illegally. One wonders how she even got here then, if you have no idea.)
Surely you can see why I don't believe you mean what you say?
Here's the bottom line, Senator. I hear what you are saying, and you do mean it, but only insofar as you are counting on the envy of your followers: You are hoping they will not think too much; that they will only react to what is presented as "unfair" and "unjust," and hence you will have hooked them in to giving you their money and their votes. You derive power from the envy that clings to your promises. You foster an "us against them" mentality, the "selfless" against the "selfish." The good against the bad.
Amazingly, it seems maybe just less than half the country recognizes that your words do not have much selflessness in them. You preach selflesslessness for personal gain.
My feeling, Senator, is that you should go take care of your own,† freely and without threat of censure, seizure or penalty, and then come back to us with the news of this great new selflessness, the true patriotism and new direction, you and Sen. Biden describe so eloquently. In mere words.
Peace, and good luck.
ºSince first posting this letter, I have been informed that your grandmother died today. I apologize for the seemingly insensitive remark, but I did hear reports that you were feeling quite elated and confident. I am sorry that your mood has probably changed in light of your family's loss.
†But who am I? I fail at this miserably. But my failure is in freedom; I strain to love not by compulsion or threat of a nation's watchful eye. My hope is that love arises freely of its own in my will, my heart, my very soul. Love cannot be forced. It is never statutory. Love is freedom, and it is fed by freedom's patience and grace.
©2008. All Rights Reserved.
No comments:
Post a Comment