Saturday, November 15, 2008

A Readjustment Of Priorities

Yes, I have been absent from this little salon for several days now. Forgive me if things smell a little musty.

I have neglected several very pressing projects, and now I must attend to them. I will post as often as I can responsibly do so. Don't think I've slipped into dementia or depression; I am not forming a militia to mount a strong defense against a new political regime. I am simply trying to be effective with the little time we all have.

What do I feel in the wake of the elections? Obviously, I recognize that no one here has asked me such a fine question (though one of you did ask me in an email). My answer is that I feel, if one can call it that, a sense of blandness: I sense blandness, I sense insipidity. I feel like I've passed through a rococo gate only to step onto a gravel yard strewn with pre-cast cement figurines. I've followed a rabbit into a hole marked the "future" and I've discovered 1992. I've reached the rainbow's end and found a pot of Frank Rich columns. I've been seated at Le Petite Maison only to be served cold french fries dipped in canned Béarnaise sauce.

In other words, I don't feel all that much.

1 comment:

Chris Wilson said...

Bill,
I feel you man.
I'm glad you're with us.
I pray that this country has made the right choice. But this election has helped me to focus on what is really important; God and family.
I pray that you are well this day.
Chris