Wednesday, December 10, 2008

In Doubters' Prison

Questions often make good friends.

Here's a question asked of Barack Obama yesterday after news his state's governor, Rod Blagojevich, tried to solicit bribes for Mr. Obama's recently vacated senate seat:
"Were you aware at all of what was happening with your senate seat?"
Mr. Obama's answer:
"I had no contact with the governor or his office, and so I was not aware of what was happening."
Unfortunately for Mr. Obama, his answer only raises more questions, and one of those, no doubt, is what one means by "contact."

On November 23, this is what Barack Obama's topmost advisor, David Axelrod, said on Fox News:
"I know he's talked to the governor [Blagojevich], and there are a whole range of names [of possible senate replacements], many of which have surfaced, and I think he has a fondness for a lot of them."
Of course, faster than you can say, I don't know, "equine excrement," David Axelrod was out yesterday proclaiming that he erred on November 23:
"I was mistaken. ... They did not then or at any time discuss the subject."
Such a statement proves at least one thing about Mr. Axelrod: He can no longer be trusted.

Of course, the question that first comes to the mind of any attentive observer of all this intrigue is not necessarily friendly to those committed to managing the Obama image: Is the president-elect competent to stand this trial?

Seriously. Can it be that Barack Obama, this great leader and political thinker, this man deemed shrewd, brilliant, original and fresh in all things political, has not spoken to the person authorized to appoint the successor to his senate seat? Or is this some sort of cynical joke? Could it really be that the man who is on top of all issues, the most ready man in America, has not once discussed succession with the Illinois governor? Not one time? Are they not long-time political allies?

Alas, I find that I am impaled on the horns of a dilemma: Barack Obama is either lying or he is not very attentive. If he is lying, then he is not a great president-elect. But if he is not lying, then he is not very attentive. And if he is not very attentive, then he is not a great president-elect.

But maybe, instead of creating apparently false dilemmas for myself, I should be asking this thoroughly popular question: Aren't there more urgent issues than character and corruption that we should be addressing?

Again, or so it seems, the corruption that we have learned of this week is, to bootleg Barack Obama's almost epigrammatic and always convenient turn of phrase, "just a distraction."

It might be a tad audacious to hope that Mr. Obama does not throw Rod Blagojevich under the now infamous bus. I suspect that Mr. Blagojevich, who seems just a tiny bit self-interested, might have a lot to share during his deposition. Let's just hope the governor doesn't commit suicide.

Peace.

©2008/Contratimes. All Rights Reserved.


6 comments:

Undergroundpewster said...

You have to understand that Mr. President Elect is very busy saving the country from the worst financial crisis in history. He simply can't be bothered with these minor details. :)

Chris Wilson said...

As I read this, I note that the Governor has some tire tracks on his back, courtesy of the President Elect. Either Obama has calculated that the Governor can do him no harm, or he has mis-calculated and we are in for a wild ride.

Anonymous said...

I cannot help but remember that he sat in a church for 20 yrs, and never heard what the pastor was saying, and that Obama eventually did ... throw the pastor under the proverbial bus.

It may not seem like the 'same thing', but it does to me, Bill. (And sometimes, I swear that I can faintly hear the sound of.."I did not have...with that woman", and "it depends on what 'is'..is").

Get well, and God bless!

Lynne Burkholder said...

You really should not doubt the president-elect! After all, we are not for certain what his birth certificate REALLY says but what does that matter? Therefore it doesn't matter that the president-elect's governor is corrupt. Tolerance, Bill, tolerance.

You can get rid of the word "doubt." Isn't that exciting, Bill?! No more doubting...dubious...

Elvis the Original Terminator said...

HAHAHA
CHICAGO POLITICS IS CHICAO POLITICS

james said...

When Gov. Blago made several death references within 20 seconds. "I'm dying to tell you how innocent I am." and I will fight to the my last breath." I think he's makin' a play for a presidential pardon or for his sentence to be commuted. He won't go quietly and I wonder what would have happened if Fitz hadn't blown the play dead early.