"I am seeing things, I know. I see a nation in abject poverty; I see chaos, death, despair. I see disease. I see crime. I see revolt. I see war. And I see someone, some Venezuelan or Cuban or even an American, stepping forward to intervene, to calm and charm the Haitian people: I see a peacemaker full of political guile. -- Bill Gnade, "Tragic Thoughts", January 13, 2010
In a recent interview with Bill Maher, actor and political activist Sean Penn had this to say regarding his humanitarian outreach program in Haiti:
________________________Hugo Chavez, who, when I went to Venezuela, when I went to Haiti, because when I, starting up an NGO, how do I, an actor in Hollywood, order bulk narcotics?...But on a serious note, you know, this is where amputations, reamputations after gangrene set in – it was Venezuela, Cuba, were able – supplied us with those to be able to get them to hospitals. And then later when I – it wasn’t because the Americans weren’t, it was because I didn’t know how – It seemed I didn’t know the same people that I knew to be able to do it... The collaborative opportunity in Haiti, when you talk about Hugo Chavez, and some of these other people who are demonized, and you know, when some of these countries accuse us of an occupation -- where I believe this was strictly a humanitarian action one the part of the United States military, and an incredible one – I’m a little sympathetic. Because every day, this elected leader is called a dictator here, and we just accept it! And accept it. And this is mainstream media, who should – truly, there should be a bar by which one goes to prison for these kinds of lies. [bold mine, added for emphasis]
6 comments:
I dunno what you're saying. Sean Penn is friends with Chavez? Are you suggesting Sean Penn will set up a dictatorship in the US that imprisons people for yelling "Spicoli!" at him?
Of course, what Mr. Penn and company fail to acknowledge is that while Cuba and Venezuela perhaps donated a few hundred thousand dollars worth of drugs --perfected by evil capitalists-- the amount of money spent by the U.S. in logistical support, not to mention private contributions, exceeds that by several hundred if not thousand orders of magnitude.
Stated differently, Sean Penn is a tool, though I liked his directorial efforts in Into The Wild.
Cheers.
Cheers.
Someone with money helped out a public mouthpiece, who now touts the virtues of the donor... he's no better than a *gasp* politician!
Let's set Pinochet, the Mujahideen, and Saudi Arabia aside and pretend the US is faultless in matters of this kind. What are the implications of an actor lauding a man who is, in my opinion, a tyrant? I disagree with him, but clearly he had a good experience with the man. Chavez is crafty enough to help people from time to time, occassionally even donating oil and gas to areas in the US hit by storms and heavy snow.
Personally, my respect isn't bought with timely aid. Doing all the good in the world does not entitle one to transgress.
Jeez, Ginx, I thought you'd know what I am saying: I am a seer swimming in the Mystic River.
I am visionary. I see a peacemaker full of political guile who would imprison me for saying this: Hugo Chavez is a dictator.
I am seeing things, I know.
Isn't it usually Republicans who elect actors? I guess the Dems have Franken, but I'd hardly call him an actor.
Also, how is this any worse than Liz Cheney's comments on people not deserving representation? And she might ACTUALLY run for the Republicans...
Post a Comment