It is just a number. It is not a number better than another. Strictly speaking, 1 is not better than 2, nor is 24 better than 25. But I must say that today's number, 4000, is a noteworthy one, not simply because it is such a tidy number, but because some visitor to Contratimes shall be the 4000th unique visitor since I began counting in July 2005 (and to think that I actually began this site last April). But 4000 is still something of an important summit, at least for me, and so, in honor of this day, I share another picture of myself that is not quite so, well, entrenched in the biker motif (I will soon be changing my profile photo for those of you intimidated by my mugshot).No one need point out that other bloggers receive hundreds of thousands if not millions of visitors per month. I am aware of such vast numbers, and I pity those folks who tour the blogosphere in search of junk food. After all, junk food, like fast food, is wildly popular. There is clearly a McDonald's for the mind as well as the stomach. But I am a fussy eater, insofar as I like to take my time and fuss with silver and courses and sorbets. I enjoy lingering over dinner, swirling my wine glass (holding only the stem, mind you) with friends, letting things settle into the corners of the soul. I consider Contratimes a venue for that discerning palate which finds bliss in the mysteries of slow food. In fact, if I could, I'd even require reservations.
So, thanks for your patronage. I've been humbled 4000 times.
Peace.
Contratimes
4 comments:
Hello? Yes, I would like to reserve a table for two on Thursday evening? Do you have anything available at 9:30 p.m.? A window seat? That would be excellent, thank you.
Bill--
Thanks for providing such fine cuisine. But please watch your step on that precipice, though. We'd all like to see you make it to 5000 and beyond!
A majestic image! And the back ground is pretty grand too.
Dear Mrs. Rousseau,
I appreciate your kind words. Now, please, put on your bifocals.
Peace.
Dear Mike,
Thanks for the encouragement. Peace.
Dear emaw_kc,
The kitchen is usually closed at 9:00. But for you, I'll make an exception. Your window seat is reserved, always. Would you like me to have flowers on the table for your companion?
Blessings,
BG
Post a Comment