Friday, June 16, 2006

Hillary Clinton For Contradiction-In-Chief

Pascal may have proven that "nature abhors a vacuum." And I may have proven that the more progressively minded folks among us abhor a paradox. But neither proof can explain how it is that the recent paradox offered by Hillary Clinton regarding the Iraq conflict could so completely suck the life out of reason.

Here is what Ms. Clinton said:
"I do not think it is a smart strategy, either, for the president to continue with his open-ended commitment, which I think does not put enough pressure on the new Iraqi government. Nor do I think it is smart strategy to set a date certain. I do not agree that that is in the best interests ..."
It is worth noting that Ms. Clinton said this at a liberal gathering called "Take Back America" (where they jeered her). One wonders if the progressives who named that momentous event were sentient, for the title could not be more ironic: progressives who want to take America back. And here I thought these folks were all about moving America forward.

But Ms. Clinton's commentary could not be more deadening. To use the word "contradictory" is to be too complimentary. It is simply self-canceling, and the self, indeed, is quite canceled. But I am willing to admit that I am not sufficiently nuanced; that I cannot understand the incredible subtlety of Ms. Clinton's trenchant remarks. No doubt that subtlety, when surgically removed from between the lines of Ms. Clinton's observation, might read like this:
"I oppose an open-ended strategy in Iraq. I also oppose a definitely closed-ended plan. I propose a strategy with a very vague ending. I want to pressure the Iraqis by forewarning them that we have a plan with an amorphous, ambiguous terminus. I want them to know that we are planning about some moment that is in the definite future but is not defined by that future."
I am so glad that we have thinkers like Hillary Clinton to liberate us from the claustrophobia of strict reason. And it is nice to know that Ms. Clinton has the keys to free us from the intellectual Guantánamo Bay within which we Americans have been detained by the Bush Administration. I hear the clanging of the locks right now.

Indeed, liberals like Ms. Clinton abhor paradox. But perhaps there is something encouraging knowing that Ms. Clinton was booed by a group of progressives who want to take America backwards.

Peace.

©Bill Gnade 2006/Contratimes - All Rights Reserved.

Technorati tags: , ,

No comments: