You have perhaps already heard the news that various (American) states are intending to up-end the electoral college by compacting together to "give their electoral votes to the candidate that wins the [overall] popular vote." If the compact can gain enough member states to garner the 270 electoral votes required to win a presidential election, then not all states will need to agree to the procedural change: several states can control a national election. Needless to say, the National Popular Vote proposal, as it is called, has bi-partisan support, and California is strongly behind it. Even the Los Angeles Times editorialized about the beauty of the proposal, writing "…we say the United States is ready for real democracy."
But the real democracy the California editorialists dream of is the tyranny of states over the federal government. To better understand my point, I offer the following comments I posted to a question by "Whattheheck", who wondered if there remained any defense of the electoral college (the question was posted at "In These Times" in the comments section):
Dear Whattheheck,Yes, I do believe there is a defense of the electoral college, and it is this:
Please, just imagine for one second, that the Mormons in Utah go on a reproduction spree (I am not dissing Mormons here). Meanwhile, in major metropolitan areas around the country, a weird disease smites the population. Suddenly, in less than one generation, the largest single, and single-minded, voting bloc lives in Salt Lake City and its surrounding towns. Suddenly, one place and one place only, dictates national elections by having the largest single vote, dominating popular elections for decades.
Or, think of it this way. Imagine that the Ohio population burgeons to 600,000,000 people, all of whom are Republicans. Do you think anyone would ever campaign in New Hampshire again? The point is that there is to be a distinction between state and federal power. State power must not ever usurp or transcend federal power re: a federal policy or function. But, abandoning the electoral college may indeed lead to one state acting as the dictator of federal office.
Killing the electoral college is anti-democratic. In one very real sense, the electoral college is an affirmative action protecting smaller voting populations. And it makes candidates more sentient of the broad opinions that compose American ideologies; dismantling the electoral college will reduce candidates’ interest to the one major voting bloc that can give them the popular vote.
The electoral college may be the most ingenious thing ever created by our forbears, eclipsing, if that were possible, the very Constitution itself.
Peace,
BG
It is interesting to note that the LA Times supports a plan they refer to as a "scheme," and that the "ingenious scheme" is the brainchild of Stanford professor John R. Koza, who, again according to the LA Times, also invented the "scatch-off lottery" ticket (according to Mr. Koza's homepage, he is the co-inventor of that ditty). That Mr. Koza is responsible for fueling the addictions of so many American gamblers goes unnoticed; as does the fact that supporting the National Popular Vote proposal, while not yet approaching an addiction, is quite surely a gamble. I am one of the many, I hope, that find no delight in either of Mr. Koza's inventions.
I am interested to read what Contratimes readers think about such matters.
Peace.
©Bill Gnade 2006/Contratimes - All Rights Reserved.
Technorati tags: Electoral College, National Popular Vote, National Popular Vote Proposal, John R. Koza, affirmative action
9 comments:
I'm with you on this one, Gnade. But I think you example was overly elaborate and hypothetical.
I haven't looked at voting population numbers, but I think that about seven to 10 states could combine for enough votes to determine the outcome of an election (absent the Electoral College). This basically disenfranchises about 80% of the states. States like New Hampshire and Kansas would have no say in national elections.
Those who advocate and end to the Electoral College either haven't thought through the purpose of the EC or they are from high population states with everything to gain.
Election reform should start with ending the ridiculous practice of gerrymandering to establish and protect partisan districts.
Good points, Emaw_kc. Even the one about my example being too elaborate. What can I say? Simplicity eludes me half the time.
Peace.
BG
Hi again Bill.
Why don't you read Kennedy's article? You've praised Rolling Stone's reporting in the past. I'm not a fan of Rolling Stone or of any of the Kennedys, but the article is a ball of flame.
I myself read it skeptically, but found it surprisingly clear, thorough and devastating.
Luke
Luke,
This is not the spot to write about Kennedy here; I wrote about him in the other post from today. But I started reading him yesterday. I should have been clearer; I am reading Kennedy and haven't finished yet. But I don't think it is at all devastating, as you say. I will post more on this in the days to come.
Peace,
BG
Thank you for the very interesting article, Bill.
Generally when people want to get rid of the electoral college, it is an indicator that their selection for president just lost an election. The winning side never complains.
The founding fathers did not trust "the masses" to make the decisions, and I tend to agree with that evaluation.
Most Americans simply do not understand what the electoral college is, nor its purpose. This is not surprising, since the majority of that same group also do not realize that we live in a Republic, not a Democracy.
J
Dear Janice,
Thanks for the comments. I even forget that we live in a republic, so your reminder is not trivial.
Thanks!
Peace,
BG
LukeBuckham said...
Hi Bill--
It seems I posted under the wrong article. I'll wait to discuss Kennedy's article with you until whenever you announce that you've finished reading it...
In the meantime, I agree with you, somewhat reluctantly, about the necessity of the electoral college. I can't help finding the simplicity of a straight-forward one-vote-per-person system initially somewhat attractive. But I agree that in the long run our current system is smarter.
I loathe scratch tickets, as well as lottery tickets. I worked for several years in convenience stores, and liquor stores, and watching the customers come in for their daily stack of tickets was one of the saddest and most pathetic sights I've ever seen. I'm not sure who looked more desperate; the rampant alcoholics or the frequent lottery players. I'm also not sure whose hands trembled more in sickly excitement.
I have never bought a scratch or lottery ticket, and I never will; I wish more people would renounce this stuff, and I hope that the inventor of these stupid games doesn't succeed in his scheme to help change the nature of voting in the US.
peace
Luke
I agree, Luke.
Thanks for the strong comments. I am still working on the Kennedy article, so be patient.
BG
Post a Comment