Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Stuck In Drive, And The Day After Dad's Day

It is important for me to be vulnerable with my readers. You see, I am having a hard time of late putting words to page. Part of me has lost my focus, not because I've stopped concentrating, but because I am concentrating too hard. You know how you feel when you've spent too much time in a large bookstore, a mall, a furniture warehouse: you've seen too much and now you can't see anything at all. Well, maybe you have not felt that way, but I feel that way right now. I am blinded by everything I see; I am made dumb by all that I am trying to understand. Imagine playing "Let's Make a Deal" with an infinite number of doors from which to choose; and then imagine that you have a 103º fever and everyone around you is trying to apply nail polish to your nose. That's sort of how I feel as I write.

I am supposed to be working on a proposal for a book on prayer. I have an interested publisher, and, for perhaps the first time in my life, I am having a hard time putting one consonant in front of any vowels. Part of this malaise came from reading the first few chapters of a book by Christian writer Donald Miller. The book is Searching For God Knows What, and it has confounded me. Not only that, it has confounded me to such a degree that I cannot even explain how it is I am thus confounded. Has anyone here read anything by this guy? What are your impressions? There is no doubt that he is an incredible, even enviable, writer. He may be the best Christian writer I've read since Thomas Howard. But there is something disorienting about his prose; it is thoroughly simple and pellucid, but there is something quintessentially postmodern about it all. Thus, I feel that the quest for authenticity has suddenly become inauthentic. Or perhaps what I am responding to is what appears to be an inauthentic quest for authenticity. I don't know. But Miller is a trenchant thinker in a very off-hand way; he gets me thinking, reeling, doubting. But I am not sure any of that is a good thing. Perhaps (or so I hope) one of you can help me here.

***
In other news, Father's Day has passed without me properly acknowledging dads everywhere. My initial sense is that Father's Day should always include a parade, but then I realize that I should nix that idea, knowing that fathers would probably have to organize it.

Yesterday, the day after Father's Day, was a perfect day for this dad. My 16-year-old son, who recently acquired his driver's license and inherited (sort of) his grandmother's 1995 Subaru Legacy, finished his first round of finals before zooming off after school for pizza with his buddies. Afterwards, he went and worked for a couple of hours weed-whacking (where he accidently whacked a frog and its death made him very sad, he later admitted), collected his $15, and then went off swimming with another friend, only to promptly lose his cash somewhere in the nearby lake. Then, after spending an hour or so hanging out at our house, he took his buddy home (two towns away) moments before massive thunderstorms rolled into the region. And, while driving past the local ski mountain, my son (he tells me everything) said this to his buddy:

"Hey, Didge. What do you say we drive up the mountain?"

"Yeah, let's do it!"

(Let me interrupt the narrative here with a question: What are a redneck's last words? Hey, watch this! Not that my son is a redneck, mind you. But he did make a curious decision: he attempted to drive up a ski trail called Pluto's Plunge. Alas, it is hard to find fault in that.)

Now picture this. About an hour later, let yourself see a dad driving a somewhat disabled car's front wheels up onto the sidewalk curbing of an abandoned ski lodge to use as a makeshift jack. Picture him getting out and crawling under a certain Subaru Legacy, using part of a photographer's tripod as a prybar. Picture a teenage boy standing over his father complaining that his perfect day has become something of a nightmare. Picture that handsome lad looking down on his father, whose legs jut out from under said Subaru, and saying "That's just great. My perfect day is ruined, several times now, and on top of that it has to be absolutely pouring out." Picture a dad getting up from beneath that car, gravel and sand stuck to every pore of his body (he's wearing shorts); picture lightning and wind and glasses covered with grit and water, hear the thunder; picture father and son soaked to the skin, and you've pictured the day after Father's Day.

And then picture dad saying to his son: "I completely disagree. It is perfect that it is raining. Just perfect."

(At least the car got fixed, for the moment.)

It was hard for me to be cross with my son, really. For me, it was clear that the facts of the day were punishment enough. Nothing chastizes a young man like the results of his own bad decisions. Why add an irate father to the mix? Besides, my son had me stumped when he said that there is no way I could be upset when I not only have tried such things in the past, I might still try such, well, adventures. I mean, really. What sort of dad would I be if I scolded an inquistive child who wanted to see what would happen if he took his grandmother's Legacy up Pluto's Plunge? It is the stuff of myths, for Pluto's sake. I could write a story about it all.

And if this is the worst it all gets, or even if it gets worse, then I'll take it -- with joy, lots of smiles, and more than a few hugs.

Peace.

©Bill Gnade 2006/Contratimes - All Rights Reserved.

15 comments:

Brady said...

I like Cosby's line to his son: Was your head with you all day today?

I like the fact that your stupidity as a kid excuses his stupidity. Wow. Don't let my 18 and 20 year-old boys hear that.

I only read Blue Like Jazz and thoroughly enjoyed it. Even loaned it to a post-modern friend. But the book arrives at truth through feeling and experience. I'm into faith that is founded on hearing what Jesus had to say through the Apostles and Prophets, some reasoning, then experience and feeling. I'm afraid that Miller's way works better in today's world.

Bill Gnade said...

Honora,

Thanks for the comment. I don't think I can put Miller in Hemingway's stead, yet. What I've read so far is non-fiction; one wonders how he might fare with fiction. Probably beautifully.

Peace to you,

BG

Bill Gnade said...

Dear Brady,

Thank you for your thoughts re: Mr. Miller. I will study him a bit more thoroughly in the days to come.

It is clear that I have to work on my writing skills, as I said in the beginning of this particular essay. For I've somehow led you to think I've suggested that my bad decisions as a teen somehow excuses my son's bad decisions. I should have been clearer that my son's decision to drive a car up a ski trail in no wise was deemed a good decision by me; my son knows -- without my help even though I've helped him thoroughly -- that it was a very dumb one (and his first dumb one, to boot). I should have been clearer to convey that I believe the punishment for one's bad acts is the acts themselves, with all their consequences, which I think is a very biblical truth. And I should have been clearer that what my own bad decisions did was not make my son's act any less stupid; rather, my past mollified my anger toward my son. The thrust of my reaction to him was really to be free of my own disappointment, ensuring that the discipline that followed was all about him, and not about my hurt emotions, pride, or offended parental dignity. Lord knows my son (who was recently inducted into the National Honor Society for German students, which might come in handy when he visits your Switzerland), understood the gravity of the situation when he typed in my phone number on his cell phone. And, I think, the tone of my voice when I answered the phone, and my few instant observations, was enough to give him the sort of pause that might save his life.

We all know that the wages of sin is not God's wrath, or that our sin gets God all worked up into a lather. The wages of sin is our own demise, our death. My role as a parent is to point toward a life away from that rather bleak path. It is impossible for me to prevent travel down that bad path; and of course I can wrongly encourage travel down that path, as some fathers do. My goal is to offer good news: I've been on that deadly path and this is the way off.

Peace to you,

BG

Brady said...

Thanks for the answer. You seem to be farther along on this parenting thing than me. The boys and I just seem to get along, though sometimes I get angry with them and they know it and I'm trying to deal with "hurt emotions and pride and offended parental dignity", and doing the right thing for the wrong reasons… Struggling through it all. (But please don't tell anyone. )

Then tonight with my daughter it all came up again. And I wasn't brilliant. But that's alright in that we are making progress and they have chosen an even wiser, purer path than me.

I think I'll head into the Ardèche region of France tomorrow and do some hiking for a few days. Want to come?

Thanks for your heart-felt reflections. I'm honored that you took the time.

Mike the Eyeguy said...

Bill & Brady--

I feel your collective pain. I can go from Ward Cleaver to Homer Simpson in the blink of an eye. It's amazing that the three of mine are doing as well as they are considering what they have to work with.

I've read Miller's Blue Like Jazz and loved the last 2/3 of the book, but I haven't read Searching for God Knows What. As someone who was weaned on Chesterton, Lewis and Schaeffer, maybe Miller's freewheeling, postmodern style was a little bit of fresh air for my "intuitive" side and a much-needed counterweight for my tendency toward over-rationalizing faith matters.

Still, too much of a good thing...

Kim said...

I am blinded by everything I see; I am made dumb by all that I am trying to understand.

Thanks for verbalizing that. You just articulated how I feel almost all the time; and I'm not even a writer.

I loved the story about your son. I felt like I was right there watching you change the tire. You may be feeling a little restless about your writing, but this was an excellent story.

I have a sixteen year old daughter; I doubt she'll try anything as ambitious as your son.

Bill Gnade said...

Brady,

I am assuming that you are about 6 hours ahead of EST, so you are probably deep in Dream Land as I write this. I was thinking of you, on this glorious night, as I climbed a nearby mountain to see the sun set on the longest day of the year (and what was perhaps the most beautiful solstice day in decades). The climb was a mere 1,200 or so vertical feet, maybe less. But it was an invigorating hike, and the evening was stunning.

But I thought of you, there in Switzerland, and of the beauty which surrounds you. No doubt a mere 1,200 vertical feet is a different sort of challenge in your part of the world. And I also wondered whether you would snicker at my little hike, and whether you had taken a similar solstice stroll at sunset.

Why should I think of you? I don't know. Perhaps it is because we both are striving to be better parents, husbands, and just plain men. Perhaps it is because I started my day with you, coming to terms with your comments and whether I handled things the right way regarding my son. Perhaps it is that I sense a friend's heart through distant words.

But all this to say that I would be honored to go hiking with you tomorrow in France, Switzerland, Italy, Portugal, or even southern New Hampshire. Odd to think that if I were filthy rich, I could manage to be there within 12 hours, even within 6 (assuming I have a wicked fast jet). Which all reminds me of a college chum I bumped into at Homecoming. He shared how he had achieved such wealth that he commonly flew to Paris for lunch (from the States, of course). And he added that the wealth left him empty, sad, and still incredibly needy. It was a stunning moment.

But rest assured, I am poor as pine pitch.

God bless you,

BG

Bill Gnade said...

Mike,

Thanks for the comments. Your insights are always appreciated.

It's going to take me a while to figure out what it is that disturbs me about Mr. Miller. I know that part of my disorientation is due to enormous amounts of unexpected jealousy. Obviously, I haven't discovered what the other parts are yet. But I'll let you know once I get an agent.

Peace to you,

Gnade

Bill Gnade said...

Kim,

There are very few kids, I think, who attempt to drive a car up a ski hill. So I think you are safe with your daughter. But kids surprise us, no?

I am glad that you enjoyed the story. Thanks for letting me know.

Peace.

BG

Brady said...

Listen, Bill, in case you hit the jack pot, we normally eat lunch at about 12:15.

Mike the Eyeguy said...

Bill,

I'm figuring that if you're like me you're glad that you don't know about most of the stupid things that your kids attempt. Sort of the Sgt. Schultz "I know nothing, I see nothing" approach to parenting.

Still, I guess it's hard to take that approach when your cell phone rings and you learn that the Subaru Legacy is dangling off the top of a mountain.

My two oldest are off at "church" camp this week. I use quotes because much of what goes on there revolves more around one-upping your neighbor in the way of pranks and practical jokes than loving them and pursuing a higher plane of spirituality. I'm quite sure, judging from some of the contraband that they were attempting to hide in their bags, that they are both up to no good. Hopefully, nothing of such an egregious nature that they will be red-carded and sent off the pitch, er, I mean sent home.

Bill Gnade said...

Brady,

Thanks for making me laugh so heartily this morning!

Peace,

BG

Bill Gnade said...

Mike,

Your comments remind me of my first, and only, year as a public high school teacher. I was 26 at the time which, at least for me, was too young to be around kids for the simple reason that it was hard for me to be a disciplinarian in cases of truly creative mischief. Instead of getting miffed at such mischief, holding high the school handbook with one fisted hand over my angry head, I more often stood in awe. A good prank is hard not to appreciate; it is even hard not to applaud.

Surely you've read "The Man Who Was Thursday"? While I know Chesterton in the senescence of life stated that the book was not an allegory about God, I can't help but think that Sunday was a God who enjoys pranks. I mean, is there no greater prank than my very self? So perhaps your sons are finding God somewhere in the contraband that you missed in at the baggage check (that other stuff is just what they wanted you to find, rascals!).

You know the old paper milk carton filled with shaving cream trick, don't you? How about the reverse-the-hose-on-the cannister-vacuum-and-fill-it-with-baby-powder trick? Those are just two little wonders I learned at a Christian institute of higher learning. And I thank God, on bended knee holding my sides gasping, for those lessons.

Peace,

BG

PS. And what little junior high school genius discovered -- in the lunch line, no doubt -- that stuffing Mentos into a bottle of Diet Coke creates a truly stunning geyser? You don't send a kid like that to the principal, do you? It seems you send him to the M.I.T. summer camp (after cleaning things up, of course).

Mike the Eyeguy said...

Bill--

Excellent reply, as usual--perhaps in pursuing mirth my sons are more in step with God than it would first appear. Now if I can just get our youth ministers to think like you do.

I have always maintained that God has a sense of humor--the mechanics of human sexuality being Exhibit One!

Anonymous said...

"I believe the punishment for one's bad acts is the acts themselves, with all their consequences" was, in our home, known as Reality Therapy...grin. And my three did not like hearing those words.

I had a few times where I was able to ignore my own feelings that you so ably described and parent well. Unfortunately, there were more times when I failed, and reacted. While none of my three ever drove OUR car up Rib Mountain when we lived near it, each found their own small (or large) things to do. So, Kim, even though yours is a daughter, be prepared--lol--for they EACH come up with something new and unique.

What is truly hilarious is when they begin to have children of their own, and you begin to get phone calls saying things like "You will NEVER guess what came out of MY MOUTH today!!"

Fathers offer an entirely different perspective on so many things, which is what God intended when he made man and woman. Too many children today do not experience a two parent household, and unfortunately, too many seem to think that there is not any effect on them.

Belatedly, I wish each of you Dad's who have been reading Bill's words a Happy Father's Day, and a true wish that you are able to always continue to be active in their lives, for they need you.

God bless!