I used to think that the toughest question I could ask a would-be US presidential candidate is, "Who are you to put yourself forward as presidential material?" I mean, it takes a significiant amount of confidence, even conceit, to raise one's hand and step forward: "I am your next great world leader!" It is the acme, the zenith, the high point of pride; and it seems it is the very nadir of humility. "Who do you think you are to seek my vote?" is probably not the most politic question, but it gets close to the heart of a candidate's sense of self.
But I am rethinking whether such a challenge is really the best starting point. I think a better starting point might be this: "Assuming you serve as President of the United States for two terms, what do you see yourself doing AFTER you are President?"
We surely know what someone like Jimmy Carter will do after serving just one term: he will serve the public well on many fronts, and do so very publicly. But we also know that he will criticize and even undermine a sitting Administration, using his former (and rather ignominious) stature as a weapon for political sniping. And we know that Bill Clinton will do the same sort of thing, though with a bit more sniping. I mean, what we don't see in either of these men is any invisibility. They are still striving for ascendancy: Books and book tours, lectures, campaigns, talk shows, political consulting, serving as international ambassadors. In short, what we don't see is any reluctance to be seen as servants.
Allow me for a moment to speak about retiring ministers. Many churches will not permit a retired minister to remain in the congregation. Many pastors and priests accept this, for they understand the political pitfalls of hanging around. Some denominations have very strict guidelines, in fact, all designed to protect the church from division. That churches nonetheless often split after a beloved pastor moves on or retires is proof that the process of becoming a "former leader" is fraught with peril. Near where I sit, the local Unitarian Church (one can hardly find a more progressive place), is bitterly split by the very vocal and political presence of its former longtime pastor who not only refuses to leave or be silent, he's even defied recommendations from national oversight boards that he should recede. Unity is a good thing, is it not? Perhaps no act can be more uniting than for a former leader -- one who has allegedly moved on -- to retreat nobly.
I am not suggesting, however, that any former President of the United States must retreat. What interests me is the current President, George W. Bush. What will George W. Bush do with his time after the presidency? I think the answer to that question is pretty clear: He's going to disappear (assuming, of course, that he is not assassinated first, as he, I believe, is the most endangered President in US history).
I wonder if the reader has either read the book, Being There, or seen the movie of the same title. The tale is of an utterly naïve and protected gardener who is ousted from his service to his master when the master suddenly dies and the estate where he works and lives is bequeathed to others. The gardener -- whose name is Chance Gardiner -- through a series of rather humorous events, is elevated to the highest levels of American society, even though he is utterly void of intellectual depth, conceit, or ambition. He is just there, and "being there" is, at least for some, the most important thing of all.
In some ways George W. Bush reminds me of Chance Gardiner, though Chance is a dolt and Bush is not. What George W. Bush has always broadcast to me is a pervasive wish to be somewhere else; he seems to be a reluctant leader. I don't see ambition in the man; he does not seek the spotlight. There are countless leaders on the world stage who seek to wow and woo, and George Bush is certainly not one of the them. In fact, when he walks onto the stage he always looks like he wishes he could be anywhere else. In that he is a lot like Chance Gardiner, who, while "being there", was never really "there." His goal was ultimately about being somewhere else, too.
In a way, this is what makes Bush effective in the American heartland. He sends a message that he would rather be on his farm, working, playing, hanging out with his dogs and his wife, than upstaging his rivals at a cocktail party with badinage or revelling in the sycophancy hidden in a handshake over brie. He conveys that he recognizes that his very dream of the simple rural life is jeopardized by external threats which require a powerful response -- someone needs to respond and it might as well be him (but really, anyone could do it, or so he intimates in his common speech). It is precisely this humility that appeals to voters: Bush is serving this country because he can and is supposed to (a family like the Bushes looks to "give back"), not because he has ambitions or conceit. That message wins elections.
What should we expect from the current President once he retires? We should expect exactly what we already know: he will disappear quietly, like his father has, and the only other living Republican president, Gerald Ford. He will retire to his farm, enjoy his grandchildren; sit on his couch. Hopefully he and his family will live in peace, though I am afraid no family in America will live so protected a life, marked, as they are, by their haters and detractors.
What do you think Al Gore, Hillary Clinton, Howard Dean, or Joe Biden will be doing after they have served as President? How about Mitt Romney, John McCain?
I'd love to know.
Peace and mirth.
©Bill Gnade 2006/Contratimes - All Rights Reserved.
8 comments:
Good thoughts, and you're probably right about W. Peace.
Interesting thoughts. Although I consider it a historical duty for a former president to write his/her memoirs.
About being quiet, I saw 24 for the second time in over 3 years, and there were two presidents. I finally ran into a fan and asked him why they called two folks Mr. President. Then he explained it to me.
Maybe this is the model we should follow? :-) Or aren't there presidents who became senators AFTER presidency, or some that even served a different country? (i.e., the Confederacy)
Oh my siblings in Christ, please pardon my candor, but I so very seriously think Bush is the most dangerous man on the planet, and hope he won't be frying anyone else after this term is finally over. (No, I'm not a Democrat, either.) I've read what I can these past 9000 years of Bush's terms, and find him and his whole cabinet and family to be every bit as spooky as Hillary. I met McCain in an airport and noted he was not only quiet/smiley/humble/approachable and carried his own bags, but he managed to open and hold the door for a woman.. at this point of my horror at all the unnecessary bloodshed and crippling, that might be qualification enough, but the fact that he's spent a long time as prisoner of war means to me he wouldn't war lightly, and might even get us out of this assinine mess.
Peace
Dear Anonymous,
It is nice to have you comment here, largely because it is rare that any Contratimes visitor states -- pro or con -- how he or she feels about President Bush. Your position is refreshing to say the least.
As most of my readers should know, I am not a big fan of the President either; I am generally a pacifist; I am only a reluctant supporter of the Iraq War. My biggest issue has been this: that I've discovered that the vast majority of criticisms leveled against President Bush are untrue, inaccurate, or just outright lies. This, of course, does not suggest that I support him; it merely speaks to my outrage at having the world berate a man falsely. My gosh, rebuke the man with honesty! Why resort to lies, conspiracies, mysticism?
Of course, as you know, McCain's imprisonment might give him the appearance of passivity and caution; but all sorts of pugilists were first imprisoned. McCain could be a very ruthless leader, for all we know. And my own sense is that at no time has President Bush taken this war lightly. Is that your suggestion?
It is interesting how we can see things so differently. For instance, I don't think the war in Iraq is asinine, nor do I see it as a mess. But you see it as both. How can two sane people view the same thing and yet reach different conclusions? It is amazing to me. But as I've said before, Christians, at least, are called to love their enemies. And if GWB is my enemy, then I am even supposed to "do good" to him. Of course, this also extends to Osama bin Laden; since he's my enemy I am supposed to bless him, love him, do good to him. But part of me has wondered whether part of being good to an enemy is to stop him from harming others.
Lastly, many Christians wish that the state would be more Christlike. Some wish the state would be morally pure regarding, let's say, sexuality. Others wish it would be morally pure by caring for the poor or not waging war. Both types of Christians, and all their wishes, of course violate the separation of church and state: legislating biblical morality re: marriage is as much a violation as insisting the state turn the other cheek. For if the state is truly secular, it cannot heed those who ask that the state embrace a "blessed are the peacemakers" sort of role. Why should a truly secular state make peace? Why should a truly secular state care for the poor? Why should it care about sexuality?
Anyhow, you've got me thinking, and for that I am always grateful. You only have about 900 more sunrises until George Bush leaves office. So hold on. Things can only get better or worse.
Peace.
BG
"---(assuming, of course, that he is not assassinated first, as he, I believe, is the most endangered President in US history). ---"
I agree, and pray often that he is kept safe.
Hi again, Bill.
First off, I'm glad that you made this point, which I've made myself many times in conversation & was glad to see here:
"...all sorts of pugilists were first imprisoned. McCain could be a very ruthless leader, for all we know..."
Yes, and yes. It's important to remember that suffering, like poverty, does not necessarily breed nobility and clear-mindedness; like poverty, it can even breed narrowness of mind, and inspire a thirst for vengeance, though I wouldn't describe McCain as a man who thirsts for vengeance (I also wouldn't vote for him). Our minds have been bombarded with cliches on this subject.
But there's another, minor point I wanted to make here:
Much of the reason for former Democratic leaders having such high visibility may have more to do with their current status as part of the losing, or at least mightily struggling, party, just as the retreat of certain Republican leaders from the spotlight is often made comfortable for them because victory has been secured, for the moment. If the next President is a Democrat, I wouldn't be surprised to see some of the usual Democrat suspects retreat a bit from the public stage for a while. Also, a leader (like Bush Senior, perhaps?--of course, it hasn't stopped Gore) may retreat BECAUSE they've been defeated and don't feel much like being seen constantly in public.
Of course, no politician ever completely removes themself from public life, at least not any that I know of. The reason I bring up these points is because your article might lead someone to believe that you are arguing, in part, that Republicans simply have nicer, more appealing personalities than Democrats. Personally, I don't find either party particularly charming.
But back to McCain: a very good friend of mine attended one of his campaign rallies back in '00 (when he actually won the NH primary, if you remember, so at that moment it wasn't implausible to picture him as the next Prez), and had a very funny experience there. As McCain began to walk onto the stage to greet the crowd (this was in downtown Peterborough), the speakers suddenly blasted a song which my friend, being well-educated in rock 'n roll, immediately recognized as Nine Inch Nails' "Head Like a Hole". He watched incredulously as McCain waved and smiled at the crowd while Trent Reznor screamed "BOW DOWN BEFORE THE ONE YOU SERVE!/YOU'RE GOING TO GET WHAT YOU DESERVE!" repeatedly. He looked around at the other people in the crowd, expecting them to be laughing along with him, or staring in shock, but nobody else seemed to notice.
Indeed, at times it seems that nearly all of humanity is asleep to absurdity. This same friend of mine often attends the movie theater with me, where we laugh hysterically, from the back row, at the awe-inspiring, robotic stupidity of the previews that preceed the film. Nearly every time, we scan the audience for another person laughing with us; and nearly every time we are disappointed, because the rest of the crowd is staring stone-faced, fully inured to the idiocy of what is taking place before them. Several times, though, someone has turned to look incredulously at US, as if something must be wrong with us to be laughing so heartily.
Energy & Joy,
LukeB
Not bad analysis there, Luke. But I think George W. Bush recedes into the sunset, even if the Republicans lose in the next 2 years. Of course, as you seem to imply, Bush Sr. was a loser, and yet is pretty much within himself; Carter was a loser and is gallivanting about blissfully spreading world peace (imperiously, I think, meaning he believes that America should export his brand of pacifism and justice; or maybe he is one of those import/export guys ala Seinfeld, importing Venezuelan justice for America). But I am playing here, being foolish.
What I am specifically saying is that this President is the least ambitious person I've ever seen in public office. I mean that. There seems to be no ego he is trying to build; to augment or justify. Not that he is somehow void of ego: he's no Buddha. It's just that he strikes me as someone who might not even really have a self-image. When I sat and watched him in a variety of debates, I screamed at the TV not because I disagreed with him (I did, at times), but because he did not seem to care; to care that he mangled language, or that his posture or grin or chuckle were odd and even out of place. He seemed utterly reluctant.
Now, this may be mere impressions, mere apparitions. Maybe he threw fairy dust in my eyes to make me see a man who seemed solely interested in the office as a sort of public duty, perhaps to make his parents proud, perhaps to give back something, perhaps to please God. Who knows? But I do not see three (former) top-running Democrats receding (Clinton, Carter, Gore): Egads, even McGovern has been dragged to the microphone. These guys NEED the limelight; Bush hates it. I mean, one telling fact is that he has thrown the fewest parties at the White House, in decades, I believe; and he does not do the cocktail circuit with the bounce Mr. Clinton did. And Clinton, if you remember, made a big deal about even his vacations (remember Martha's Vineyard?). We even knew what celebs he has beaching it with. Where does Bush vacation?
Peace.
BG
Gnade
Hi Bill.
As for Bush's lack of glamor: since most celebrities hate him, obviously we're not going to hear much about his latest movie star pal; none of them want to hang out with him. This also might help cut down on parties. (I should mention that I don't really care passionately about the reasons for Bush's social activities or lack thereof. I think there are more important points to be made about him, as you'll see if you visit my blog.)
However, on the rare occasion when a celebrity does endorse him, he seems to revel in their company. For example, Dennis Miller (if Miller can be considered a celebrity), after coming out publicly in support of Bush, was treated to some Air Force One time with the Prez, whom he now refers to as his personal friend. Bush, like all intellectually inferior people, prefers to be surrounded by those who agree with him, and has often looked with smirking incredulity on any who challenge his pronouncements. I believe, in fact, that at least part of the reason for his discomfort on stage is that he finds it ridiculous that he should have to have to defend any of his views.
If you watch films of Bush from over the past few years, you can watch his body language change and his discomfort increase with every drop in the approval ratings; he is aware of the tide turning against him. He was much more comfortable in the role of public leader when the majority of America was behind him. Watch the tapes: he is nearly always more at ease when he senses the crowd is with him; this is another sign of the inferior man. Lincoln, in contrast, kept a Cabinet of former opponents at his side, and relished their differing viewpoints, allowing their disagreements to sharpen his intellect. Bush prefers the company of his buddies.
Personally, I like a man who parties and vacations regularly; I like to see people, presidents and proles alike, enjoy themselves. I have never been one to complain about any President's vacation time. In fact, I wish Bush vacationed more often; the more time he spends off-duty, the safer and happier the world will be.
Allow me to make a confident prediction, too: Bush will never be assassinated, unless another nutcase feels like impressing Jodie Foster. He is quite valuable to his enemies.
It would be wise for you to continue to praise Bush's style; for he lacks substance. He is every bit as shallow and dishonest as Hillary Clinton. He and his cronies are every bit as manipulative and shady as the "liberal" press you detest, but for you to realize this would be to risk letting go of some of your delevoping conservative fanbase, wouldn't it? Lest this seem spiteful, let me assure you that I say these things out of belief in your intelligence. That respect is the reason I bothered writing this response in the first place.
I challenge you to look deeper, Mr. Gnade.
LukeB
PS--I don't often write about Bush on my own time, but if any of you want to see a recent letter I wrote to my local paper concerning him, you're invited to http://thenewtimes.blogspot.com
Post a Comment