Since my time here is sadly abbreviated this morning, I thought I'd commend to you a perfectly readable little political book called Do As I Say (Not As I Do), by Peter Schweizer. Perhaps some readers will disagree, but I found the book to be fair, thorough (though I wished for more information) and without all the bombast of many books of its type. I managed to rip through the book during my too-long hiatus from this blog as I awaited computer repairs.
Schweizer is a fellow at the Hoover Institution and recently published an essay in USA Today evaluating the "green-ness" of Al Gore's personal life. Perhaps you read the piece. If not, well, go here.
***
I also want to re-recommend the outstanding book, The Narnian: The Life and Imagination of C. S. Lewis, by Alan Jacobs. I mentioned the book here a few weeks ago; I mention it again because it is truly brilliant. Jacobs indeed has complete mastery over his subject, and it is thrilling.
One little vignette from that book: Apparently Mr. Lewis was not particularly fond of his role as Oxford tutor (nor were those under his tutelage always particularly fond of his manner); but he was a wildly popular lecturer (he loved lectures), always filling lecture halls and inducing the curious to seek him out for further dialogue. However, Lewis was so hounded by questioners and hangers-on before and after his lectures that he took to a delightful and charming defense of his privacy and personal space: he would begin his lectures in the hallway outside the lecture hall as he walked in and, when time was nearly up, he would just keep right on lecturing as he walked out the door and down the stairs for a quick and safe getaway. No one, apparently, could then stop the man and demand his attention. I love it.
Peace.
©Bill Gnade 2006/Contratimes - All Rights Reserved.
Technorati tags: C. S. Lewis, Alan Jacobs, The Narnian
One little vignette from that book: Apparently Mr. Lewis was not particularly fond of his role as Oxford tutor (nor were those under his tutelage always particularly fond of his manner); but he was a wildly popular lecturer (he loved lectures), always filling lecture halls and inducing the curious to seek him out for further dialogue. However, Lewis was so hounded by questioners and hangers-on before and after his lectures that he took to a delightful and charming defense of his privacy and personal space: he would begin his lectures in the hallway outside the lecture hall as he walked in and, when time was nearly up, he would just keep right on lecturing as he walked out the door and down the stairs for a quick and safe getaway. No one, apparently, could then stop the man and demand his attention. I love it.
Peace.
©Bill Gnade 2006/Contratimes - All Rights Reserved.
Technorati tags: C. S. Lewis, Alan Jacobs, The Narnian
4 comments:
I would like to read the Narnian, though I have quite a stack I should work through before I spend the money to buy another book. ;-)
I don't know if you're familiar with the Mars Hill Audio Journal, but it's a terrific resource for thinking Christians that deals with many aspects of life, politics, science, poetry, and culture in general...all on a bi-monthly CD. Ken Myers, the host, had an interview with Jacobs about The Narnian a couple of issues ago, and I'm sure you'd enjoy it--I definitely did. I may have to give it a read...
I bought the Narnian while in the USA because you'd suggested it. But my son got hold of it and read it in two days. He thought it was excellent. It's only one or two books away from getting read…
Dear Mark,
I am not familiar with that journal, though I am familiar with the Mars Hill ministry. You have piqued my curiosity. Thanks for recommending it.
Yes, if you can swing it, you should read The Narnian. It really is special. What I particularly enjoy is that it is light reading where it should be light; and heavy where it should be heavy. Jacobs does not cower away from the more difficult facts of Lewis' life, nor does he avoid Lewis' most incisive observations about modernity's presuppositions. It is just a solid bit of work.
Peace.
BG
Brady!
I am glad that I was able to spur you to spending: the US economy appreciates your generosity. Now, go snag that fine volume from your son and enjoy yourself. You will be glad you bought it (there is a lot of powerful stuff in it, so keep your notebook handy).
Look for me at the airport come snow time!
BG
Post a Comment