Wednesday, September 06, 2006

The Seinfeld Administration

I wonder if readers can guess where I might be going with this essay merely by its title. My guess is that a good number of you can.

The incredible TV show, Seinfeld, was a cornucopia brimming with pop-culture gifts for the tongue: Soup Nazi, shrinkage, regifting, hand, marble rye, Hennigan's, preemptive breakup, low talker, close talker, "quone", the Bro (or manssier), bubble boy, pigman. These delights fall off the tongue, they spill over merry lips; at least they do for those of us who have watched the show (and there are many of us). We get these terms; they make sense of certain things that ordinary words fail to describe. They give us the giggles; they are part of our laughing lexicon. Even the name "Seinfeld" has been incorporated into pop-speech, e.g. "This is a real Seinfeld" (or "Seinfeld moment"). The show shaped pop-culture, and we let it, with delight.

As I've mentioned several times at Contratimes, language is not static; a dictionary is not a law book, it is but a guide. It tells us merely how words are used; it does not insist that words MUST be used certain ways, nor does it prevent new meanings, even new words, from taking form.

How is it then that so many critics of George Bush's language skills don't see their own linguistic foolishness? When Bush "invents" the word "decider"†, how is it that his critics suddenly act as if A) they don't know what he means; B) there is a law that prevents new words from existing in a fluid or dynamic state; C) the new word makes no sense in context; and D) Bush is stupid? When he says that terrorist leaders have sent "suiciders" to terrorize normal folk -- no doubt a word that conflates suicide and bombers into one neat word -- why is that snickered at as dopish? Is it not a perfectly good word even if it is a gaffe? Is it not perfectly descriptive; is it not a good alternate?

Ironically, Bush's gaffes are finding longevity in the marketplace of ideas and the public square because his critics are breathing life into them. Sarcastic commentators use the words every day; bloggers love to describe his penchant for malapropisms, while others have given Bush himself a new name in light of his linguistic liberty ("Bumbleshrub" is one such name given by blogger Just Ain't Right). The irony is simply lost on these critics; and what is also lost on them is that when Bush invents a word (many educators actually encourage children to use inventive spelling when young) his readers and listeners STILL understand what he is saying.

Hey, I am something of a word guy, so surely you would think his tongue-stumbles would bother me. Perhaps they do. But he has coined some very useful words, like "misunderestimated" (which makes perfect sense), "decider" (not really coined, see note below), "suicider" and so on. Why is he not therefore perceived as a creative genius; why is he not seen as the architect of new ideas and concepts? Why is he at least not loved as an entertainer, or as a half-idiot savant seated in high office (like Being There's Chauncy Gardiner)?

You see, this stuff is to political language what Seinfeld was to breakroom badinage: it is the stuff that entertains (and it is stuff that makes us pay attention in a weirdly earnest way). By comparison, the Clinton Administration was a veritable word wasteland, a linguistic Death Valley. What pop phrase pops into your mind from those eight years, those tarpits of tongue? Merely the lone and meager mindbender, the "definition of IS is" foolishness. Bush, on the other hand, will no doubt impact every English dictionary: his malapropisms have life. We all get them.

Speaking of Mr. Clinton, I recall listening to him answer a question posed by NPR's Terry Gross in 2004. His answer was so prolix that even Deep Blue could not have deciphered it. And his reply was without a single mispronounced word. I scratch my head wondering how a man who speaks smoothly yet makes no sense is preferred over a man who brandishes an unruly tongue and yet is understood at every turn. Are Americans really too stupid to get the beauty of "misunderestimated"? Do they have no capacity for the truly incisive "suiciders"?

Only the bushleagured dolts who mock him would tire of his malappropriateness or his diseloquence. Unlike them, I am enlivened knowing that language is not stuck in the leaden lexicons of Bush's critics who abhor linguistic dynamism. They are so many malcontentious verbaphobes. To give them heed would be misattention on our part. But I truly delight in the fact that Bush's critics are the ones who will be responsible for ensuring his blunders last in lexicons in perpetuity.

Peace.

©Bill Gnade 2006/Contratimes - All Rights Reserved.

†Please note that this word is a legitimate English word, by the way; a fact which should have been mentioned when I first penned this. In haste, I failed to make note that this word appears in literary usage as early as 1593 (according the Oxford English Dictionary). [This addendum added January 12, 2007. See comment at the end of this 2007 post.]

For a related essay, go here.

Technorati tags: , , , , ,

6 comments:

Brady said...

It happens the whole world over. You should have heard the talk when Chirac used the non-word "abracadabresque". You would have thought he invaded a foreign country.

T.C. said...

They are comical in their floccinaucinihilipilification. I've always been beffuddled and bemused by such minds. Many an observations have revealed that for such an apparently abstract bunch, they sure know how to keep things infantile and simplistic (see Dowd, Moore etc.) I noticed you wrote about Olbermann. This got me thinking about how we determine what is intelligent. There is no doubt he is smart and witty. Full of sports knowledge. But it's not so much in what you say but in how you display and convey intelligence.In my opinion, if people truly knew and understood American history (I'm Canadian but feel I have a fair grasp of it) they would notice that Bush ain't thats fars off from his predecessors. He's following various blueprints laid before him. Now, if you want to argue he's not a true conservative that's a fair deabte. Anyway, back to intelligence. For example, wittiness can be decoded as smart-alec. Without wisdom. This to me is what is the leitmotif of the modern 'left'. Olbermann is not above the vulturism of Bush. Everytime I see it from anyone I actually question their own, well, intelligence. Don't know if this makes sense but I don't edit my comments! As for Seinfeld, the one episode I found to be endearing was the one about the Italian barbers who loved Edward Scissorhands. It did a brilliant job of spoofing the musical neurotic elements of Italian culture. Even when the barber picked up the hair from the ground and determined it was Jerry's it pointed to the well-earned reputation Italians have for perfection in anything they do. In my house it was the same. One minute we're laughing the next we're yelling. It took my wife some time to adjust. Contratimes, once again you maanged to set me back 20 minutes! But I love you for it.

LukeBuckham said...

To 'The Commentator':

"Bush ain't that far off from his predecessors. He's following various blueprints laid before him."

I absolutely agree. There is nothing remarkable or unique about Bush's foreign policy, or his way of viewing the world in general. He fits very well the historical mold of the American president; the same mold that most Democrats fit pretty well, too, when they get into the ovular office (it's only a matter of time before Bush uses THAT one). Most Americans seem to have a very hard time understanding this, because they've never read history.

I feel pretty comfortable making a blanket statement here, having spent many painful hours inspecting the mainstream "counterculture" in America: the "left" in this country is utterly vapid, totally unoriginal; they're also a bunch of snobs in populist clothing.

By the way, Bill, I agree, totally, with what you've said here. There's nothing wrong with Bush's "made-up" words; they are perfectly functional. Though they certainly lack the cleverness and hilarity of Seinfeldese, I think the people making a cottage industry out of his clumsy inventions are pretty uptight, and usually blinded to the myriad possibilities of language.

That he doesn't use these words to say anything intelligent, is not surprising. Those who expect astounding intellectual and linguistic depth from Presidents are quite naive. That depth has always been available elsewhere.

Luke

PS--By the way, Bill, here's an unrelated, but truly interesting, question: are there any circumstances under which you would support a military draft?

And now, I will disappear for a while. I believe I have overstayed my welcome. Peace.

T.C. said...

Luke, as I mentioned it's amazing what a little history can do. It seems that there is a real disconnect between history and how people attack Bush. It's literally crazy. Let me ask you this. In effect, is it a stretch to think then that people - in this case people we classify as liberals. But they really aren't. They are what you said, pompous impostors - are unwittingly self-loathing their own political and historical DNA? If they hate Bush they must, if they are to keep any intellectual consistency, hate Wilson, Jackson, Jefferson etc.

Bill Gnade said...

Luke,

There is only one sin anyone can commmit here (maybe two), and that is to think one can overstay one's welcome. Stay as long as you wish. The comments part of this blog are particularly reserved for guests who want to stay a while.

Perhaps you perceive that my lack of response to you suggests I am anything other than crazily busy. I would love to respond to every comment, but I cannot. Besides, it is nice to let others have the second, the third, or even last word.

Are there any instances I would support a draft? I think so. I support one this instant, in fact. Wait! Now I don't support one this instant. All kidding aside, the answer is yes, in a way. My uncertainty is due to my not knowing what that instance might be. I am sure there is at least one, maybe even two.

Peace.

Gnade

Bill Gnade said...

Brady!

Abracadabresque?! I love it! Thanks for that one.

The Commentator,

You might just win the Contratimes Award for Best New Word (new to me). I do not believe I have ever seen floccinaucinihilipilification. I can only tell you that I am thrilled to have eyes, because it is worth seeing. Thank you, thank you. Who'd 've thought it was a real word? Surely it is itself worth much!

Peace to you both,

BG