Wednesday, November 21, 2007

An Update On Pain

In haste, I want to let my friends here know that it has been discovered that my dental pain is not due to an infection. Instead, what appears to have happened is that I have -- a sprained tooth! I kid you not! The ligaments which attach my tooth to my upper jaw or maxilla are torn or strained and wildly inflamed. The news boggles my mind, as I forget that the tooth-to-jaw connection is, in fact, a joint.

So, what is the cure? Well, the remedy is not the sort of thing one wants to hear about on Thanksgiving Eve: I have to give my teeth a rest! What? Do you mean I have to elevate my tooth on a pillow while I sit and watch football tomorrow? Do I have to put my tooth -- the one dragged a mile over the last four years to fill the gap left by an extraction -- into a tight little splint? Can't I just wear a palatal sling?

Had this been an infection, relief would have come more swiftly, though an infection portends the imminent demise of one's tooth. Hooray! My tooth lives! But I cannot tell you how hard it will be to enjoy tomorrow's turkey as I wear those tiny dental crutches. Better that, of course, than the very greasy -- but speedy! -- molar wheel chair.

Peace.

Bill Gnade

9 comments:

Chris Wilson said...

Turkey in a blender anyone?

Bill, I feel as though I've just seen Mike Tyson square off against Michael Spinx over there at DC ( I can't bring myself to write out the name). When the self admittedly great John Loftus refuses to engage it can be for only one reason; he has been bested. There is one thing left for him to do, which he is always too willing to do, and that is ban you from the blog. Your graciousness may be too difficult to overcome, but I think even he can manage it.

You are obviously a man too quick to deflect praise, and I'll try not to embarrass you further. I'll end by saying that I'd like to be just like you when I grow up.

Many Blessings to You

Chris

Anonymous said...

I wish you a tolerable if not dentally happy Thanksgiving, my friend.

Cheers.

Brady said...

Bad timing. Bad timing.

Just get it better by Christmas dinner, man…

Milton Stanley said...

A sprained tooth? Well, I too hope it's better for Christmas. Peace.

Bill Gnade said...

Chris,

I thank you for your comments and encouragement. You are too kind. I am honored that you would want to be like me when you grow up, but I have but one response: Stay young, brother, stay young.

Peace and mirth,

Bill Gnade

Bill Gnade said...

Oh, and Chris, please note that John W. Loftus visited my blog today and has promised to reply to my "Letter to Christopher Hitchens." (see comment here.)

I expect something truly interesting to follow. Stay tuned.

Bill Gnade

Bill Gnade said...

Dear Randall,

Thank you for the kind wish. I pray you had a wonderful holiday.

Bill Gnade

Bill Gnade said...

Brady!

Good to hear from you. Thanks for the concern. And the visit. I am feeling loads better.

Peace,

Gnade

Bill Gnade said...

Milton, my man!

How are you?

I hope you, and everyone in your family -- and everyone in this thread, had a happy holiday last week.

Peace,

Gnade