Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Logic Lesson?

If you would like to see logic put to both good and bad use, then see James Taranto's "The Weisberg Fallacy" in yesterday's Opinion Journal. It will appear too academic to some who are inspired by the sort of fallacious argument Mr. Taranto dismantles; some might consider it pedantic. I find it jolly good fun (though I admit I did not closely check Mr. Taranto's proof).

In my opinion, Taranto is just about the best political blogger in the blogosphere. He plays ball in the majors, while I'd be lucky to make single-A. The guy is sharp and quick. Yesterday's post, through and through, is just solid stuff. In an amusing and effective way, well, Taranto can bring the high heat (sorry for the lame baseball metaphors).

Oh, and the Biden stuff is pretty good, too.

(And I note that he finds the DNC's convention theme, "One Nation," rather curious, as did I when the DNC emailed me with the news. What happened to the "Two Americas" meme?)

Peace.

BG

3 comments:

Undergroundpewster said...

Perhaps it should be called the "Weisberg Conundrum." If he does not support Obama, he is a racist. If he supports Obama because that will "put racism in the rear view mirror," he is a rascist.

Taranto provides some intersting info on the Democrat's VP candidate. He failed to mention that Veeps have in the past wound up living in the "cone of silence" by the very rules of their position.

Chris Wilson said...

Russ??

*crickets*

Undergroundpewster said...

Now that McCain has picked a woman as a V.P. candidate, the conundrum deepens.

If you vote for Obama you are a chauvinist.
If you vote for McCain, you are a racist.