Thursday, August 21, 2008

Solid Stuff: Reason Over Revelation In The Public Square

If you have not read Ryan T. Anderson's "Huckabee And Social Conservatives" first published at First Things (and then reprinted in the Wall Street Journal's online Federation), then you should.

Of course, I know "should" is a strong word these days. Perhaps I should -- there I go again -- say that "If you feel inclined, then you might want to perhaps possibly consider the possibility of reading it for yourself."

Seriously, it is a very provocative piece.

Blessings.

BG

3 comments:

Chris Wilson said...

Great article Bill. Call me a skeptic.

Rational arguments do appeal to rational minds. Appeals to natural law are very persuasive to a rational mind. Unfortunately, the political process in America, particularly as it relates to, adopting platforms, diseminanting messages through news outlets, pop culture venues, PSAs, and other Madison Avenue type modes of communication, involves a somewhat pessimistic calculation; the rational mind gets in the way. Appeals to emotion, not the mind, get the job done.

Chris Wilson said...

Forgive my grammar and punctuation. It is embarassing at times.

Chris Wilson said...

so...how about I complete my thought? Man, what is wrong with me today?

I started out by saying you can call me a skeptic. I am skeptical of the strategy that says we can bring rational arguments to the table in support of a socially conservative agenda because as I alluded to in my previous comment, its a little like bringing a knife to a gunfight. The opposition is armed to the teeth with all sorts of emotional appeals that often render rational arguments unpersuasive.