[Addendum: Alas, the ever-savvy, tech-omniscient n[ate]vw, has pointed out that I am about 12 hours late in making the observation I've made below. Oiks! But that's OK. At least I try.]
Let me be the first among fools, word fools, to note the following: If many pundits and pols have had a difficult time pronouncing Barack Obama's name, often confusing it with that other name, Osama (bin Laden), how long before someone starts mispronouncing the Democratic ticket, Obama and Biden? Lovers of anagrams will have a field day now. Obama 'n' Biden.
And that rhymes with?
Of course, I note that had Mr. Obama chosen Tim Kaine of Virginia, the ticket would be Obama-Kaine, which sounds like ObaMcCain (or Oh, Bomb McCain). I can see why that might have been considered both advantageous and not so advantageous (as would have been Obamacaine, the painkiller). What if Evan Bayh had been chosen as Mr. Obama's running-mate? Would Obama-Bayh -- Obama Bye -- have worked? Perhaps subliminally, and not at all advantageously.
Just a fool's curiosity; just a fool having fun.
Peace and mirth.
©Bill Gnade 2008/Contratimes. All Rights Reserved.
3 comments:
Sorry, you're not even the first among those who know that comparison is a bit low. About 12 hours too late according to http://search.twitter.com/search?q=osama+biden
Dear Nate,
You are just too savvy for me. My generation is really the first of the personal computer generations, and I represent my generation in the most antique way. I should have known better to assume that I would be among the first at anything. Though I can only prove to myself that I was influenced solely by myself, well, there is no real credit in that, is there?
But I note that you do not challenge my initial assertion, that I am the first among fools. But why note that, when your post proves that I am.
Peace and mirth,
BG
If it's any flattery, at least I implied you were wise enough to know better :-)
I'm fairly sure you would agree that a person looks like, what their name sounds like (remember "Hubert Hoag" in Fahrenheit 451?), what eloquence is present in their speech — all this has little bearing on their ability to make good decisions on behalf of a nation.
Of course a good decider a good president does not make; good politics does involve public perception. But Obama has so many bad ideas ("deserve" "deserve" "deserve") — has proudly made so many terrible decisions — why even bother with the muckraking?
Post a Comment