In haste, because I haven't much time this morning (and because I slept in far too late), I would like to simply state why I think Gov. Palin is a brilliant political choice.
- Instantly, any media bump the Democrats hoped to gain from Senator Barack Obama's pre-inaugural inauguration in Denver was instantly flattened. The Agent Of Change quickly became stale news.
- Gov. Palin instantly nullifies the "attack dog" role Senator Joe Biden might have played in the two parties' one vice presidential debate. Sen. Biden's notorious nastiness has been neutered, so to speak. There is no way he can snap his mighty and garrulous jaws at the heels of a pretty, youngish mother of five children, one of which is about to be deployed to Iraq while another has Down Syndrome.
- Sen. Obama's choice of Sen. Biden was a safe and necessary pick: everyone agrees that Sen. Obama's choice lent "gray-haired gravitas" to an otherwise airy ticket. And nearly any honest soul knows that Sen. Biden is anything but "change." The only ticket that really represents "change [voters] can believe" is the McCain-Palin ticket. Sen. McCain must showcase that he is the old veteran leader who has a proven track record, while Ms. Palin is the "new face" of the Republican Party with skill and vision: she's the future, not the past. Clearly, Sen. Obama's message is that the future he envisions is rooted in the more-of-the-same moribund past, that rather ancient and tired past represented by the Congressional-lifer Joe Biden.
- The Sarah Palin story is every bit as compelling as Mr. Obama's rise to fame. Maybe even more so. Her's is a Cinderella story. To women, well, this sort of thing speaks volumes. Add to the fray the fact that her story through the "glass ceiling" makes Hillary Clinton's story sound positively bland by comparison, and you've delivered a deft blow to a lot of Democratic and feminist mythology. It reminds people that for a long time now, Republicans have had powerful women serving at the highest reaches of government.
- Sarah Palin instantly embodies the pro-life movement in all its intellectual honesty: she walks the talk. Her having a child with special needs drives this home particularly well. It will be hard to find fault with her on issues of family, child-rearing and domesticity.
- With Gov. Palin's son heading off to Iraq, and John McCain reportedly having a family member in harm's way as well, the whole "chicken hawk" lunacy of the left asphyxiates. (Mr. Biden also has family heading into military conflict.)
- The Wall Street Journal reports that Gov. Palin has been a thorn in the side to, that's right, Big Oil, in her home state. Interesting.
- If reports are accurate that Gov. Palin rejected living in Alaska's governor's mansion; that she found other jobs for the domestic staff to which she was entitled to as governor, and that she chose to live at home, forsaking the governor's limo so she could drive herself to work, well, I can't say enough as to how good that is for Sen. McCain and the Republicans. That sort of story is legendary: it is the stuff that shatters many Democratic mythologies. Gov. Palin LIVES her ideals. She does not promise them. Unlike Barack Obama's resumé, which is one of the future, her's is one that is present, real, and tangible (as is John McCain's).
Bottom line: McCain proves himself a brilliant strategist. He's got game, I'll give him that.
©Bill Gnade 2008/Contratimes. All Rights Reserved.
15 comments:
McCain has two sons in the military. One is a Marine and the other is attending the Naval Academy in Annapolis. I was so excited at his VP choice. But the leftist pundits keep talking about that she isn't qualified to be a "heartbeat" away from the presidency, that he's a 72 year old cancer survivor. I feel her resume of nearly 2 years as gov. of a state of 600,000 is a little thin, but so is US Senator for 3 years. She's done some great things in her time as gov, but I'm afraid her inexperience will chase off undecided voters. However, it inspires me to take a more active role in my community. You don't have to have an Ivy League education or years of experience to do the right thing. Any thoughts?
Dear Karen,
Permit me to quote James Taranto:
'The biggest drawback of the Palin pick is that it complicates the argument that Obama is too inexperienced to be president. At 44, Palin is actually younger than Obama, and she has two years' less experience in statewide office than he does. On the other hand, she has more executive experience than McCain, Obama and Joe Biden combined, and the Democrats have a rookie at the top of the ticket.
'Obama spokesman Bill Burton quickly denounced McCain for proposing to put "the former mayor of a town of 9,000 with zero foreign policy experience a heartbeat away from the presidency." This took a degree of chutzpah, since the Democrats have just spent four days touting Obama's experience as a "community organizer" as a central qualification to put him no heartbeats away. Even after listening to those speeches, we're still not sure what a "community organizer" is.'
Yesterday I heard someone counter the "she's too inexperienced" claim with the argument that such a claim actually highlights Mr. Obama's weakness: the claim takes as a given that Mr. Obama IS inexperienced ... as inexperienced as Ms. Palin, or only marginally more experienced (which is arguable). So at least one person I've heard speak on this topic believes that the Democrats are going to avoid bringing up Gov. Palin's alleged lack of experience.
You are correct: doing the right thing has nothing to do with Ivy-League status, or even pedigree (political or genetic). But a track record of some kind, such as what John McCain possesses, at least gives us an indication how a person might react and decide in certain situations. Barack Obama's resumé is not only particularly thin, in a couple of major policy areas in which he was required to leave a political foot-print he chose to abstain from voting or was simply absent when such votes were taken. This is not to say McCain has not been absent or abstinent; but McCain has a long and serious legislative record that voters can analyze.
Just some thoughts.
Thanks for stopping by and leaving a very thoughtful comment.
Peace,
BG
PS. I am impressed how many women have said they're excited and inspired by Gov. Palin's new place in America's political landscape.
Darn you, Bill.
I'd just finished writing a post about the choice of Gov. Palin, which echos all of your points. Picking her is truly audacious and I think the Democrats are beside themselves. One wonders whether Mr. Obama is up nights, wandering his environs saying "Why, oh why, did I not choose Hillary?"
As a coda, let me suggest that McCain has, in one fell swoop, removed the cloak of "change" from Mr. Obama, outflanking him on that front, if you will.
In truth, I'd rather Gov. Palin be President.
Cheers.
I forgot to mention, The experience thing is easily addressed. The Constitution contains the qualifications for president, none of which include being in Congress for a zillion years. Harry Truman was a failed clothing store owner and nothing senator before Roosevelt tapped him to be V.P.
Cheers.
Bill,
Call me a cynic but this has Madison Avenue written all over it. I fear that this is more sizzle than steak and particularly geared towards overcoming a demographic insufficiency.
I thought you were heading in that direction when you said, "a brilliant "political" choice.
Peace,
Chris
Dear Rand,
I agree with you: the change the Palin pick represents is a big threat, or so I believe. She's young, audacious; she is a known reformer. She's good looking, and eloquent in a very straightforward, plain-spoken way, which will help her reach women and men who are skeptical of Ivy-League-esque newspeak.
Again, I am not saying anything other than that McCain's pick was shrewd. We have weeks ahead of us to find out if his pick was right. I mean, by November 4, we might all be quite sick of Sarah Palin.
Peace,
BG
Dear Chris,
I love your cynicism!
I don't think Madison Avenue could think this far out of the box. Alaska? Does Madison Ave. even know Alaska is in the United States?
But hidden in your cynicism, I believe, is the unspoken belief that McCain's pick is UNBELIEVABLY shrewd, so shrewd that it seems "too good" to have come from a "straight-talk" campaign staff: it's so good it looks like high-end marketing strategies are at work here.
If Sarah Palin's life story is not embellished, there are so many elements in it that are astounding that it looks like it was written for this very moment in history. But that is how Barack Obama's story has been presented: perfect, foreordained, the culmination of the ages, the fruition of all activists' aspirations. But Ms. Palin comes in and suddenly her story vies for attention; it, too, reminds people of audacity and hope, but in a different way. Coupled with McCain's story, you've got cross-generational drama. But I am not sure Joe Biden can EVER craft a life story that appeals to a broad audience.
So, I think the Biden choice now looks positively tepid. Two interesting and compelling narratives competing against one; that's the election of 2008 as we currently see it.
I should have not used the word "political" in my post. I should have said "strategic": McCain's pick was a brilliant strategic choice.
Peace,
BG
Sort of on topic: I was wondering if you've seen this?
Cheers.
Dear Rand,
I followed the link and all I can say is that I am unsure. It is one of those sites I don't actually trust. Does that make sense? If it was clearly connected to the Hillary camp, then I would think it worth deeper consideration. But there are a bunch of phony sites out there, and the comments thread at this angry PUMA site does not wring true.
We'll see, though, how the Hillary camp does indeed react.
Peace,
BG
Speaking of strategy, how will the McCain camp handle the recent news of Bristol Palin's pregnancy? It is hard to admit, but a 44 yr old VP as grandmother doesn't look good. She's an advocate of abstinence only education, and her teenage daughter is pregnant! Could she be encouraged to leave for family reasons? Will McCain lose voters if she leaves or stays? If McCain knew about this ahead of time, does this call his own judgment into question? My head is spinning.
Dear Karen,
I THINK, though I am not sure of this, that you are a victim of a gross rumor. Apparently several mainstream bloggers and commentators are spreading the rumor that Trig Palin, Gov. Palin's 4-month-old son, is NOT her child, but is her daughter's. The claim is that Ms. Palin FAKED pregnancy to cover a family affair.
But I am only restating what I heard on the radio. Perhaps I can respond momentarily with more conviction.
I think the good news is that your head need no longer feel like it is spinning.
Peace.
I wish I were the victim of a rumor, but the McCain/Palin camp confirmed that Bristol is 5 months pregnant... http://voices.washingtonpost.com/thefix/2008/09/bristol_palin_is_pregnant.html
Dear Karen,
OK. So now we have real news following very disturbing "news."
So, off the cuff, I don't see how this changes anything. In fact, I think both the sick rumors and the pregnancy work in the McCain-Palin favor: the whole story now REALLY all reads very human, very real, very 21st-century. I think they can easily turn this to their advantage, particularly the sick rumors part: Ms. Palin and her daughter were clearly targeted by very unscrupulous players. And now the players look pretty grotesque. And they will even look more monstrous if they pursue this daughter, and the morality meme.
I am not sure, however, that it will be easy for Ms. Palin to be all she needs to be for her family; but such a thing would not be easy for Barack Obama either, should one of his daughters ever come to him with news she is pregnant.
Anyhow, an amazing turn of events, to say the least.
Peace,
BG
Dear Karen,
We are cross-posting, it seems. I was able to read the reports; I stand corrected. There were very gross rumors, but I was able to check several sources that confirmed what you initially reported.
Peace,
BG
Dear Karen,
I believe, also, that the Democrats better immediately move toward a position of decorous silence on this issue. If they over-play it, and that won't take much, they will seriously damage themselves, especially if Gov. Palin withdraws from the race. Any "can-you-believe-in-a-commander-in-chief-who-would-choose-a-moral-hypocrite" tack will absolutely backfire on the Democrats.
Peace,
BG
Post a Comment