"Contratimes will continue, I believe, but its days of political commentary are over. ... The only time I will write of such things (i.e., political, economic, etc.) is if I believe they speak to our dangerous habit of idolatry." -- BG
Walking into a bookstore often gives me a headache, especially if I actually walk into it. Ouch. I should really look up.
My pain is generally the result of too many stimuli, of information overload. There is so much crying out for attention in a bookstore; there is hardly a book section that is silent. Over there are the Narcissists: Read about me! Along the brick wall are the Alarmists: All hell is imminent! By the side window one finds the Sensualists and the Aesthetes catalogued in the Boasters section: Look at what we love, so beautiful! On this table one finds the Soothers -- We are at peace! -- tucked in with the Comforters -- We know peace and success and we can give them to you! On the back wall is a large section of Namers and Solvers of Problems: We have answers! Near the café one finds the Deeply Reflective and Trenchantly Analytical: We just know! Not too far away one finds the Peregrinators, all telling me where they've been, with some even telling me where to go. In the middle one finds shelves covered with books written by Epicureans filled with good taste: Check out our palates! Adjacent are the Luxuriant bidding me to look between -- and beneath -- their covers; and to the right, the Exalted: Check out my palace!
Near the lavatory wall one finds Exterior Decorators shouting that an outside makeover can revive your insides; while the Interior Decorators insist, at least some of them, that if you feel good about your insides, your outsides will shine too (and even a few Really Good Interiorists denounce the outsides as so much sexist vanity). Near the red couches one hears the clatter emanating from racks full of the Analgesics, Depressants and Stimulants, all promising escapes and romps and fantasies and dramas and adventures, and sundry tours de force: We won't waste your precious time; we'll take you away from the dulness of your life!
It's no wonder I get a headache.
And the same goes for TV, newspapers, the internet; blogging. My headaches come from all the shouting, beckoning, pleading: Give us your attention! Achtung!
I wonder, really, if it is ultimately a good thing there is a "new media." The term, of course, is misleading: the newness refers not to the quality of media but the quantity. There have never been so many voices and so many vendors seeking attention, dispensing "information."
What happens, do you think, when we can't really get away, not just from the Culture of Dissemination and Marketing and Opinion and News, but from the Culture of Consuming? I know that if I hear somewhere that X is the rage, and that, upon further inquiry I learn to like X; and that if, in liking X, I begin to note that everywhere I turn X, or some X spinoff or derivative, is being discussed, analyzed and prodded to death; and if I notice that from TV to blogs to books to comedy routines to art to music to conversations on the street and arguments at a dinner party X in all its forms is inescapable, I discover I not only hate X, I pretty much hate everybody else too. I get sick of X, and, in the process, I get sick of everything associated with X: electronic media, books, dinner parties, concerts, newspapers.
Satiety is often a dangerous, vile thing. It seems that if one wanted to rule the world the best thing to happen would be the creation of MANY VOICES, of a TRULY DEMOCRATIC MEDIUM, like the "new media." For where there are many voices, there is cacophony, chaos. The New Democratic Medium begets tedium, and tedium leads to satiety, fatigue, indifference; to ennui. Everything is lost in the din of either/or, of this or that; in an endless flow of example, counterexample; in a ceaseless rhythm of "exceptions." Some people can withstand this onslaught and are immune to its effects. They exalt in chatter, gossip, opinion; the sowing of "clarity" and discord. They adore the political idols; for many the political is their idol. But others are not so stalwart. They crumble or wither, or just get distended and bloated and bent out of shape, sated to the point of discomfort, even sleep. They've had too much. They actively consume themselves into passivity, requiring that they lie down, take a nap.
It may not be the suppression of voices that ruins the world, that leads to tyranny. It may be this exalted and celebrated plethora of voices that results in most voices shutting down. Let everyone speak at once in order to silence as many voices as possible: Let's give them a headache so that they may walk away.
Let's give them more than they can handle. Perhaps that way they will let us handle even more.
Peace.
©2010/All Rights Reserved.
5 comments:
I muffed the hyperlink and had to delete and repost the comment.
I believe you recommended the book Distracted to me some time back. I think this post speaks to the issues Maggie Smith raises.
It is, of course, impossible to remain completely "well-read" or well-informed about the topics of the day, because of the large volume of information available in the various media.
Add on e-mail, voice mail, tweets, Facebook status updates, blogs, and heaven knows what else and one quickly becomes overwhelmed by the cacophony.
The sad thing is, this chaos prevents rational contemplation of the important things and moreover, prevent and discourages the expression of one's thoughts, which in turn diminishes one's ability to think. Consider, how do you convey the message of this post if you're limited to 140 character tweets and internet jargon which bears no relationship to English as you and I understand it?
What frightens me is this slow erosion of the ability to think, to analyze, to reason, will inevitably lead to a populace which will gladly follow the person with the most pithy, yet ultimately vacuous message, no matter how destructive the ends may be.
In point of fact, we're seeing it happen before our eyes.
What you wrote is reminiscent of Neil Postman's "Amusing Ourselves to Death". In it he states: Censorship, after all, is the tribute tyrants pay to the assumption that a public knows the difference between serious discourse and entertainment--and cares. How delighted would be all the kings, czars and fuhrers of the past (and commissars of the present) to know that censorship is not a necessity when all political discourse takes the form of a jest.
The Democracy of Din as you so aptly call it is certainly competing with my contemplation of God's still small voice. At times I just want to figuratively and literally cover my ears and mind from the noise.
May the Lord give you peace.
Thank you for 'keeping on'. Contratimes is a voice crying out in the midst of the cacophony, but this voice rings true.
The noise and confusion, the lies and deceptions, the false answers - all these give me headaches and worse. But one voice crying our in the Wilderness of Din can still lead me back to Truth Himself.
Yours is such a voice.
Thank you, friends.
Peace to you all.
Gnade
Post a Comment