"Rebellion for me is articulating my views, trying to be honest about what I see. I don't think a lot of people in the public arena do that ..." -- Michelle Obama, Vogue interview (2007)
It seems every definition must now be qualified by "for me". I like this one better: "During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." (George Orwell)
I intended Ms. Obama's comment ironically, as I am sure you could guess. I, too, am a person who rebels in "articulating my views, trying to be honest about what I see." I say this despite recently admitting here that I would limit my focus and perhaps even soften my tone.
There is nothing particularly new in Ms. Obama's comment, nor is there even anything particularly interesting. Every rebellion consists of individuals who articulate views; vandalism, of course, and screeching protests are clear ways of voicing dissent. They are "articulations," as are bombs, screeds, propaganda, deceit, blockades, sanctions and wars. But perhaps she means to emphasize her honesty, that being "honest about" what SHE sees is all that matters. But honesty is a vague and weak virtue. It too easily becomes nothing more than relativism cloaked in the mildness of "this is just how I feel ... I am just trying to be honest about my feelings." Honesty becomes a matter of perspectivism. It's where vulnerability trumps truth: I speak my mind vulnerably -- so please concede.
2 comments:
It seems every definition must now be qualified by "for me". I like this one better: "During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." (George Orwell)
Shalom,
S. Wooden
Dear WA,
I intended Ms. Obama's comment ironically, as I am sure you could guess. I, too, am a person who rebels in "articulating my views, trying to be honest about what I see." I say this despite recently admitting here that I would limit my focus and perhaps even soften my tone.
There is nothing particularly new in Ms. Obama's comment, nor is there even anything particularly interesting. Every rebellion consists of individuals who articulate views; vandalism, of course, and screeching protests are clear ways of voicing dissent. They are "articulations," as are bombs, screeds, propaganda, deceit, blockades, sanctions and wars. But perhaps she means to emphasize her honesty, that being "honest about" what SHE sees is all that matters. But honesty is a vague and weak virtue. It too easily becomes nothing more than relativism cloaked in the mildness of "this is just how I feel ... I am just trying to be honest about my feelings." Honesty becomes a matter of perspectivism. It's where vulnerability trumps truth: I speak my mind vulnerably -- so please concede.
Peace.
Post a Comment