Saturday, September 27, 2008

On The Debate

Simple. Neither man is a god. They are mere humans: fallible, faulty, full of insecurities, doubts and weakness. What are we looking for anyway? The archetypal man, the quintessential American, the incarnation of leadership?

Honestly. Don't we all know people in our personal lives who we find more inspiring, and even better leaders, than either Sen. John McCain or Sen. Barack Obama? Or are we so cloistered that one of these two men is perceived as the greatest person in America?

Both men did fine. Does anyone disagree? I noticed two things: Sen. McCain LOOKED -- and I mean this superficially -- at times less rattled than Sen. Obama. Sen. McCain's "blows" seemed to actually hurt Sen. Obama's feelings, which goes to something I said last year, namely that I wondered if Barack Obama is too nice to be president (niceness is a good thing). I also noticed how often Sen. Obama looked down, both while speaking and while listening. I thought the downward tilt of his head made him look hesitant and uncertain. I swear he lowered his head 20 times just answering the question about Georgia and Russia. (And was he looking at his notes?)

These, of course, are VERY minor things. I was surprised, really, that Sen. McCain did as well as he did. As several pundits said afterward, neither man created a sound bite that could haunt him. There were no blunders of note, no gaffes.

I won't call it a tie, because I don't keep score. But I will call it a fair look at how each man comports himself, and how each manages to get his head around the issues at stake.

©2008. All Rights Reserved.

8 comments:

Nick said...

Bill, I'm taking your welcome message seriously and daring to comment here again (I'm actually starting to like you). On the debate I did not see any clear winner, but I am curious that you failed to mention McCain's refusal to look at Obama during the debate. Some commentators viewed this as contempt on McCain's part.

On Obama, he does come across as a very nice guy, and I wonder who the public feels more comfortable with as president, Mr. Nice Guy or Mean McCain (there are numerous reports of McCain's hot temper).

Bill Gnade said...

Dear SE,

I am actually re-watching the debate over the next day or so (I recorded it), and I am trying to keep something like a score. I noted that John McCain did not -- at least often -- look at Barack Obama. Contempt? Perhaps, but it need not be. It could be a show of confidence, with emphasis on show. I have seen that sort of thing lots of times, not just in debates, but in sports (and even while driving). McCain was perhaps sending a message that he's the man in the room, not needing to make "eye contact" in any conciliatory way. The debate and the presidency are all serious business, too serious for a leader to worry too much about the feelings of those around him. The presidency is not really about being the nation's best host (or hostess). Or so McCain may have been suggesting.

I noted, too, that Barack Obama was better at looking at the camera, though his doing so may have looked strange to those present in the hall with him.

I admit that I am having second thoughts about the debate. Barack Obama actually may have done better than I initially thought. I don't see how anyone can insist that either man did well at the start; the first 20 minutes or so were really quite dreadful.

As for Mr. Obama's temperament, it looked to me like he actually might have an anger issue, one that he suppresses very well (and perhaps to his physical detriment). But I don't put too much stock in every part of a man's (or woman's) temperament, at least for this job: a hot temper is not always a bad thing.

More later.

Peace,

BG

Bill Gnade said...

Dear SE,

As a postscript to my last comment, I should add that if you have found any evidence to the contrary that my guests are treated fairly here by me, please bring it to my attention immediately, OK? This is a safe place, or so it is my intent and deepest hope.

In all candor, though, it is undeniable that this site is not always a safe place for its host.

Oh, and before I forget. I am not sure your post at your site about me characterizes me at all accurately. Perhaps we can talk about it offline sometime. No hard feelings, of course. Just some laughing doubts!

Again, all peace.

BG

Nick said...

You may be right that Obama is suppressing anger, I had forgotten that I've had the same impression myself before. Thanks, Bill.

Nick said...

Hi Bill, just saw your next comment. I did fail to mention to you directly that I posted about you at my blog, I do apologize, I have been so busy working and don't always have time or access to a computer (for personal use) when I'd like to.

If I mischaracterized you I am sorry. I get worked up over things that upset me. I feel without a home politically (both parties are rotten). I was once a very staunch Republican, and in 2000 I did vote for GWB (based on his more humble foreign policy claim and what I feared was Gore's love of big government). I sometimes literally cry over the fate of a country I love deeply and I wonder if a truly free republic will be here for my children.

I am simply dismayed over what has happened to the GOP and that conservatism is in the state it is.

And yes, email me anytime Bill (you'll find my address at my blogger profile).

Blessings and peace.

Chris Wilson said...

Bill,

I am struck by the juvenile preoccupation the media and others have with who makes us feel more comfortable. What makes me comfortable is a strongly convicted leader. Someone who will not equivocate when it comes to making tough decisions. And plenty of tough decisions are going to be made in the near future.

McCain was completely real last night. You know why he didn't look at Obama? He doesn't like the man or his politics. He doesn't want to have a beer with him and he thinks he's dangerous for America. He is not a poker player or a game player. He appears completely transparent.

McCain has demonstrated time and again his willingness to walk across the political aisle to get things done. Obama talks of bipartisanship and McCain actually IS bipartisan!

Who will stare down Putin? Who can project the power that the Chinese or the Iranians or the North Koreans will respect? Reagan was brilliant in that he understood human nature; that peace is procured through strength. As the exchange on the Iranian President attests, like Reagan, McCain understands human nature.

He is a friend to his friends and a formidable enemy to his enemies, should they desire to remain enemies.

Let's stop talking about who we want to have a beer with and set the bar a bit higher. The stakes are very high.

Peace,

Chris

Nick said...

Dear Chris,

Whoever "wins" this election, disaster looms.

Anonymous said...

I doubt that you haven't seen this yet, but I thought it was important....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5tZc8oH--o