Saturday, January 30, 2010

Third line, plus

Here's a report of what Mr. Matthews said:
Analyzing Obama's State of the Union address, he called the President "post-racial" before saying, "I forgot he was black tonight for an hour. He’s gone a long way to become a leader of this country and past so much history in just a year or two. I mean it’s something we don’t even think about.
"I was watching and I said, wait a minute, he’s an African-American guy in front of a bunch of other white people and there he is, President of the United States, and we’ve completely forgotten that tonight — completely forgotten it."

I find quite interesting Mr. Matthews' observation that Barack Obama was speaking as "an African-American guy in front of a bunch of OTHER white people..."


___________________

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Clearly Chris didn't forget Obama was black, because it mattered enough to comment on it. I sure as hell didn't forget he was black, especially at the beginning as he was being introduced, and his face stuck out like an almond towering over a sea of peanuts.

Are Chris Matthews and I racist? Yes, because racism is the discrimination between people of different races. Of course, discrimination merely means you notice a person's race. Are we prejudiced against different races? I'm not (I save my prejudice for things more important than race), but Chris Matthews has a weird obsession with his Irish heritage which he brings up without any provocation. I wouldn't be surprised if Chris comes from one of those union-loving, pro-segregation Democratic families from the 50's and 60's.

Anonymous said...

Actually, he forgot for only an hour, before mercifully being reminded of Mr. Obama's race again.

Cheers.

Unknown said...

Maybe at one hour in, Obama said, "You know what I'm sayin'?"

Anonymous said...

Ginx, I drop the g's in my participles, an artifact from my family's Ozark roots, established after a trip from Colmar in Das Elsass.

Cheers.

Unknown said...

Actually, urban pronunciation would be "sane," and the whole thing would more accurately be:

"Know wum sane?"