Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Apologies

I have once again turned on the function that moderates comments. I can describe it in no other words than that Contratimes is under attack by "DM," who dumps absurd comments here. It is a shameful attempt, or so I believe, to sully the integrity of this site and others like it that present a Christian "worldview" in an intelligent, gracious and generally well-written manner. I may have "DM's" motives all wrong, but I doubt it. 

If anyone knows how I might shut out "DM" and his/her ilk, please advise. I deleted 3 identical comments yesterday, spammed even through "word verification" security steps. The comments strike me as perverse, random, stereotypical and, sadly, anathema to dialogue. 

Sorry for the inconvenience. I believe that comment moderation stifles discussion and discourages reader visits. My hope is to get things back to normal as soon as possible. 

Peace. 

Bill Gnade




3 comments:

Nick said...

It is a shameful attempt, or so I believe, to sully the integrity of this site and others like it that present a Christian "worldview" in an intelligent, gracious and generally well-written manner.

Since my blog is none of those things (it's not intelligent, gracious, well-written or Christian) why is DM also attacking it?

Bill Gnade said...

Dear Nikkolas Jakson,

It is quite amazing you should post a comment. I also had my post -- "Apologies" -- placed in my sidebar to explain why comments were being moderated; yesterday afternoon I deleted it.

DM has been accessing my blog through a widget at an atheist's website. That atheist has included Contratimes as one of the "Blogs I Read"; whenever I post something new here, the widget elsewhere shows my action, and -- wham! -- here comes DM in a flash, almost a robotic flash.

Since I could see DM accessing Contratimes through an atheist's website, I initially felt DM was something of an attack. Indeed, DM is an attack, but not necessarily for the reasons I may have suspected.

I contacted the other blog's administrator to inform him/her of the widget problem. I received a kindly reply; I was told Contratimes would be removed.

Oddly, I now believe DM -- the absurdist --assumed that Contratimes is an atheist website, and this because I am on relatively convivial terms with a number of atheists on the web. I may have that wrong, too, of course. I am wrong about nearly everything.

Lastly, comment moderation will remain on high alert until I am sure I've eluded DM's mania.

Nick said...

I know to which blog you refer, Bill (I believe) and I'm glad you were removed from the list (along with all the other blogs there) so to at least minimize DM's vandalism.

I thought I would be spared as well as my blog was also one of those listed, but it wasn't to be. DM still attacked with his stupid gibberish and included a threat to kick my head in. After that I simply told the blogger to go ahead and link to me again, which he did.

I know it's amazing that I should post a comment here, but I prefer to try and remain friendly with everyone, even when I haven't been so friendly in the past.

I hope you're able to remove moderation soon, as I know you would prefer that.



I am wrong about nearly everything.

Maybe, or maybe not. I don't think I'm wrong most of the time, but I do know I'm not always certain I'm right.