Here's the comment I left in response to his query:
I have not read all the comments here; I have not read the TIME magazine article in question. But please permit me to express what I felt when I first saw the headline when I spotted this particular issue of TIME on the newsstand.
It’s simple. The editors of TIME are exploiting a wild misunderstanding about papal infallibility. The common belief is that the Church teaches the Pope is intrinsically infallible in all matters. In other words, the Church teaches that the Pope — as Pope — is never, ever wrong and thus cannot apologize. The headline is really a fundamental dig at a parody of Catholic teaching; the headline is perhaps even meant as ironic. If so, it is ironic in an extremely mean and petty way. Ultimately — if the editors are NOT ignorant of Catholic teaching — the headline employs a straw-man fallacy, one that essentially courses through those salons willfully ignorant of Catholic doctrine and dogma.
This is cheap journalism at its most obvious. It’s vulgar; it’s the sort of stuff offered by snickering scoffers one might meet in junior high school. The whole thing brings to mind a revised temptation of Christ: “If you’re really infallible, you can’t be wrong about anything, can you?” TIME wants to exploit this fundamental prejudice about Church teaching, hoping that, if the headline is all people read — and it will be — the prejudice will still be effectively reinforced in the populace.
Truly discouraging.
Peace.
©2010/Contratimes. All Rights Reserved.
5 comments:
I would like to know: what kind of person lets pedophiles continue abusing children? I want to believe the Pope was trying to protect the Catholic Church's reputation, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's got some pint-sized skeletons of his own in his Vatican closet.
Ginx, the point of Bill's post was not to praise or condemn Ratzinger. (And for the record, I'm a Protestant from a long line of them stretching back to the St. Bartholomew's Day's Massacre and the Battle of Coutras, although we abandoned our Calvinism for a free will Baptist-ness.)
The point of Bill's post was to highlight the cheap manipulation of a caricature of Catholic belief in order to inflame passions against the Catholic Church. Anyone who's even remotely studied Roman Catholicism knows that infallibility refers to the Pope's pronouncements on matters of Catholic doctrine. Indeed, Benedict's own writings demonstrates that he does not believe he is a sinless man or even one who makes no mistakes, regardless of whether those mistakes are denominated as "sin" by the rest of us.
(BTW, it was our Protestantism that drove us to these shores from Alsace, shortly after the French Revolution.)
Cheers.
Did the Time headline really have "your" instead of "you're"? As an English composition teacher, this question is more than academic. Well, actually, it isn't, come to think abo ut it.
Brother Milton,
Thank you for pointing out my typo. I did not copy and paste the headline, I typed it in, fallible man that I am.
I have corrected it accordingly.
Peace to you,
Bill Gnade
Not a problem. As you can see from my previous comment, I sometimes have trouble with my typing, too. Peace.
Post a Comment